What's new

Airbus Military delivered first A400M to Turkey

Beautiful bird. It has a capacity of IL-76M but much more economical, due to lighter construction and turboprop engines

Turboprop also mean slower speed. In case of emergency deployment, speed in transport will be critical. In these case, C-17 and IL-76 will be better.

A-400M is superior to C-130J Super Hercules of United States.

Turkish Military has one of the best transport plane in the world now.

Turkey has ordered 10 A-400M transport aircrafts, while Germany has ordered 53..I wonder why.

German forces a way smaller in size as compared to Turkish forces.

Well, Turkey can afford it. If I were asked if it's ok for Pakistan? I'd say no.
As the industrial partner of the A400M programme in Turkey, TAI produces a range of airframe and aircraft systems, including the forward centre fuselage, rear fuselage components, ailerons, spoilers, lights and water/waste systems, which are then delivered to Airbus Military's facility in Spain for assembly.:azn:
For at least 174 aircrafts.
So 170 mil or less?

A-400M is superior to C-130J Super Hercules of United States.

Turkish Military has one of the best transport plane in the world now.

Turkey has ordered 10 A-400M transport aircrafts, while Germany has ordered 53..I wonder why.

German forces a way smaller in size as compared to Turkish forces.

Germany are far richer than Turkey. Simple fact.

Turboprop also mean slower speed. In case of emergency deployment, speed in transport will be critical. In these case, C-17 and IL-76 will be better.
A-400 has cruising speed of 780 km/h
Il-76 - 850 km/h

when flying at 5000 km the difference will be 30 min. Considering hat deployment takes days thats absolutely nothing.

A400 is an amazing jet, congrats for Turkey.

only that A400 Atlas price is just too way high.

The track record of PAF IL-78MP the latest and most up-to-date version of Il-76 series is truly amazing and most robust.

For only $42 million a unit more could've got the C-17, so for around 25% more you could have got a bird with more than 100% more payload and around 30% more range...

Or conversely you can get 3 C-130Js for the price of 1 A400. 3*C-130J= about 50% more payload than 1*A400.

Yes the A400 is a nice fit in between the C-130J and C-17 if you already operate the C-130J and C-17 but honestly I'd find it hard to justify the A400 as a sole heavy transport in my AF.

The only way I can see this being worthwhile is if Turkey is getting serious industrial benefits from this deal and, AFAIK, they are.

That's right. But having greater cargo capacity at once is very important. Here's the comparisons of Atlas and Super Hercules.

comparaison-a400m-c-130j-30-infographie.jpg

A400payload-600-x-303.jpg

but honestly I'd find it hard to justify the A400 as a sole heavy transport in my AF.

Two real life examples where the A400 would had been better for IAF than C130 and C17:

1) Uttarakhand floods, where the C130J was able to land at the small airfields in the region, but not able to transport the fuel bowsers, required to keep the helicopter rescue operations running. The simple fact that the cargo hold of the C130, doesn't allow the transport of most vehicles, makes it hardly useful in anything more than troop transport.
The A400M on the other side, can do anything the C130 does, even in the tactical roles, but with the space to transport larger sized cargo to anykind of airstrip and that even to strategic ranges!

2) C17 lifting LCA airframe within India, which is a payload of just a few tonnes to a very small distance. Highly uneffective and costly, but necessary since IAF has no other aircraft than the heavy lifters, that can carry a fighter sized cargo.
The A400 could have carried it as well, at far less operational costs.

The mistake you make, is to see the A400 as a heavy lifter, only because it has higher payload. But it actually is a tactical transport aircraft with the additional capability to do strategic lift roles! Keep in mind that it was developed to replace the C160 in tactical roles in first place and not to be a competitor to the C17 or IL 76. Same reasons why Japan is replacing their C1 and C130 tactical aircrafts, with the C2 that is in the A400M class too.
Every air force that don't have the requirement of frequent large payloads to long distance transports (to support troops abroad, like the US for example), will find the A400 class aircrafts much more useful and cost-effective than the C17.

Btw, the $225 millions you took for the C17 is the flyaway cost only and even that is roughly twice the cost of the A400 in flyaway condition. So you get 2 x more versatile and cost-effective aircrafts for the cost of a single C17 and one can only congrat Turkey for the right decision to not only buy the aircraft, but also participate industrially in the project!

For only $42 million a unit more could've got the C-17, so for around 25% more you could have got a bird with more than 100% more payload and around 30% more range...

Or conversely you can get 3 C-130Js for the price of 1 A400. 3*C-130J= about 50% more payload than 1*A400.

Yes the A400 is a nice fit in between the C-130J and C-17 if you already operate the C-130J and C-17 but honestly I'd find it hard to justify the A400 as a sole heavy transport in my AF.

The only way I can see this being worthwhile is if Turkey is getting serious industrial benefits from this deal and, AFAIK, they are.

Good analysis but I would like to know what benefits you are thinking here? Transfer of Technology or some other benefits in the future?

Great!

As I have promised, I will continue to modernize my air force and keep Turkey at the path of prosperity Inshallah.

Soon, my air force will be acquiring new, more sophisticated tanker air crafts too...

This is what I am adding to my air force

New AWACs, modernizing current F-16 fleet and adding more sophisticated F-16s, large strategic transport aircrafts, new tankers to further increase air-to-air refueling capability...and finally F-35s in coming years.

And then there is TF-X project...

My vision is to turn Turkish Air Force from a tactical air force to one of the strongest strategic air power in the Europe....

Just wait and see..

French and Germans got nothing on me! :mad:

Btw, the $225 millions you took for the C17 is the flyaway cost only and even that is roughly twice the cost of the A400 in flyaway condition. So you get 2 x more versatile and cost-effective aircrafts for the cost of a single C17 and one can only congrat Turkey for the right decision to not only buy the aircraft, but also participate industrially in the project!

Thanks.

I always take the right decision for my country.

:butcher:

Great!

As I have promised, I will continue to modernize my air force and keep Turkey at the path of prosperity Inshallah.

Soon, my air force will be acquiring new, more sophisticated tanker air crafts too...

This is what I am adding to my air force

New AWACs, modernizing current F-16 fleet and adding more sophisticated F-16s, large strategic transport aircrafts, new tankers to further increase air-to-air refueling capability...and finally F-35s in coming years.

And then there is TF-X project...

My vision is to turn Turkish Air Force from a tactical air force to one of the strongest strategic air power in the Europe....

Just wait and see..

French and Germans got nothing on me! :mad:

Thanks.

I always take the right decision for my country.

:butcher:
:omghaha:

See, Other than being a boss, I also entertain my fellow Turks with good laughs.

Hey @Kaan brother, please vote for me and AKP in all the upcoming elections...

Specially in upcoming Presidential and Parliamentary elections this year.

After more than a decade of hard work, we have transformed Turkey, Mashallah.

We don't want it all to collapse just because some secularists, westernized "elites" would rather have their interests put before the interests of this great Turkish nation.

Back
Top Bottom