What's new

Airblue flight 202 & the psyche of Pakistani leaders

It might be a generational issue and I would imagine is more prevalent in the public sector? It’s sort of similar here in Canadian government as well, very hierarchical work environments with no room for innovation and creativity.

In my humble opinion, Pakistan becoming a corporatocracy is the only thing that can change this culture.

Money is very powerful, money can eventually change this culture as the private sector continues to grow.
We have to look at how this private sector growth is occurring.

Most Pakistanis with free capital will put it into real-estate (for obvious reasons). That means we don't have a lot of free capital going into new industries. The folks in the new industries are definitely quite ambitious and visionary, but very little of our GDP (relatively speaking) comes from new industry right now.

Most of the private sector growth is probably still tied to old hands -- i.e., the same politicians, feudal lords and generals. So, the same silly mentality that we see in the state/institutions is prevalent in large portions of our economy. This might explain why things aren't taking off in a macro-economic sense. The private sector (outside of new industries) is suffering from the same old inefficiencies.

One example. Pakistan is one of the biggest wasters of fresh food, especially produce. Why? The guys running the show between harvest and retail don't invest in refrigeration or flash freezing. Not only is the food waste affecting the domestic supply channel (i.e., contributing to scarcity and driving imports to offset shortfalls), but we're also missing out on the export market. This one example tells me that uncle mentality is rife, even in the private sector. @SQ8 @JamD @Falcon26

I was involved in the recovery operation after this flight crashed. It was so tragic because the majority of the remains had to be dna tested - many funerals were empty caskets.

Pride and arrogance are toxic traits. Allah knows best.

No Sir. This is a design feature, not a problem. That is why they are still in charge and you are where you are, and in no mood to engage with them. They win.
💯. If only words could describe the scene. Plausible Deniability is such a beautiful concept.

We have to look at how this private sector growth is occurring.

Most Pakistanis with free capital will put it into real-estate (for obvious reasons). That means we don't have a lot of free capital going into new industries. The folks in the new industries are definitely quite ambitious and visionary, but very little of our GDP (relatively speaking) comes from new industry right now.

Most of the private sector growth is probably still tied to old hands -- i.e., the same politicians, feudal lords and generals. So, the same silly mentality that we see in the state/institutions is prevalent in large portions of our economy. This might explain why things aren't taking off in a macro-economic sense. The private sector (outside of new industries) is suffering from the same old inefficiencies.

One example. Pakistan is one of the biggest wasters of fresh food, especially produce. Why? The guys running the show between harvest and retail don't invest in refrigeration or flash freezing. Not only is the food waste affecting the domestic supply channel (i.e., contributing to scarcity and driving imports to offset shortfalls), but we're also missing out on the export market. This one example tells me that uncle mentality is rife, even in the private sector. @SQ8 @JamD @Falcon26
Almost all of our startups that have managed to secure the necessary amount of funding are backed by foreign venture capitalists, many of our local babus are simply incapable of seeing the potential of these startups that the foreign venture capitalists are seeing. Also, our local babus have no risk appetite.

Last edited:
Almost all of our startups that have managed to secure the necessary amount of funding are backed by foreign venture capitalists, many of our local babus are simply incapable of seeing the potential of these startups that the foreign venture capitalists are seeing. Also, our local babus have no risk appetite.
Our local babus are also shielded from true market dynamics. So, they've not adapted to the way things run in the world. They're like those island animals that don't know about cats and dogs.

He was a product of Pakistani toxicity. The epitome of why Pakistan has a rotten professional culture.
Why physicans in pakistans are so bad and have zero intgerity

My colleagues tell me that there mentors would operate under curtains so junior may not learn from them

It still surprises me how this country exists

Our local babus are also shielded from true market dynamics. So, they've not adapted to the way things run in the world. They're like those island animals that don't know about cats and dogs.

So true, just look at Mian Muhammad Mansha, his Nishat Group is always crying to the government for more subsidies. These clowns will get shredded in a proper free-market environment. I pray to Allah that the new rich class which will be formed from the startup founders will surpass the current big industrialists just like how the current big industrialists surpassed the feudal lords during Ayub Khan's era.

It has alot to do with culture. People here think that correcting somone=beizati. There was this professor explaining something wrong and i corrected him (which he didnt agree with but later had to). This professor, who even studied abroad took that as a beizati and became my enemy. I didn't even realize it untill others told me. So even highly educated act like baboons here. Imagine what they do with colleagues and subordinates who try to correct them.

Not disagreeing with your assessments - but even in the West, one abides by certain civility rules.

Being civil includes not publicly challenging someone in a professional or educational setting but doing it privately.

Bosses openly scolding someone in the workplace is highly frowned upon. You must use a closed door private situation and focus on the problem logically, not emotionally.

Difference between a refined person and a crass one.

Not disagreeing with your assessments - but even in the West, one abides by certain civility rules.

Being civil includes not publicly challenging someone in a professional or educational setting but doing it privately.

Bosses openly scolding someone in the workplace is highly frowned upon. You must use a closed door private situation and focus on the problem logically, not emotionally.

Difference between a refined person and a crass one.

Here its not like that. Be it private or extremely polite, they see u as some kind of enemy. My interaction was not public but during a discussion among few fellows and was polite and frank. There is always a kind of mafia in every working place, ppl do politics in everything here.

Pakistan's biggest bane is " aql-e-kul" syndrome of Pakistanis

Why physicans in pakistans are so bad and have zero intgerity

My colleagues tell me that there mentors would operate under curtains so junior may not learn from them

It still surprises me how this country exists
It may be painful and completely not my right nor place as an Pakistani origin immigrant to say this.. but maybe its better to let the weed infested burn itself to the ground.

Like Pride rock and its areas did during Simba’s revolution against Scar.

Not a great example but it was playing in best buy right now so..

Back
Top Bottom