What's new

Air India's Boeing 787 Dreamliner touches down at Delhi's IGI airport

Why did the 787 stop in Frankfort to refuel? Isn't it able to make long distance journeys?

Troll in me would say it leaked fuel on the way and had to refill at Frankfurt. But seriously, i dont know the answer.

Normal. No big deal. It happens.
You have NO-IDEA how safe airplanes are. They go through RIGOROUS testing before they are given "Air Worthy" certificate from the authorities.
Hint : These airplanes are tested to land even without their land gears!!!!!

Thing is, they should pass that testing before being delivered to the customer. All these incidents in the past week had happened to already commisioned, in service aircraft.

Guys I don't know if it is a recent devlopment of what but last year (September time) I travelled on AI for the first time from Heathrow to Delhi and I had 0 complaints, service was excellent, food was pretty good, staff were smiling, plane was in excellent condition and was pretty new with the entertainment options being some of the best I've seen.

I have travelled on BA, Emirates, Gulf Air, Singapore airlines, United, Virgin etc and I found my AI experience on par with any of these.

One thing about AI is that their fleet is incredibly new as a whole and AI must have one of the lowest average age fleets flying. Their oldest birds are the 747.

I'm hoping one day AI starts 787 flights out of Heathrow- I would LOVE to fly on one of those beasts!

Air India grounds Boeing 787 Dreamliners after US decision

India has grounded all six of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft operated by state-owned carrier Air India after the same decision was made by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the Indian aviation regulator said on Thursday.

"We will not fly Dreamliners until our DGCA gives a clearance," said Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh, adding, "FAA has to first approve that Boeing Dreamliners are safe to fly."

Air India grounds Boeing 787 Dreamliners after US decision | NDTV.com

Real bad luck for Air India. They had counted on these planes for the turn-around in fortunes, now this grounding only is going to add up to their losses. Can they request for compensation for the losses from Boeing as a result of grounding? Is it legal?

Boeing's 787 dreamliner is a wonderful plane. It'd be up and flying in sometime. Nothing to worry about.

Such incidents are normal.

Remember how A-380's engine teared apart while it was in flight? These planes are built by thousands of Aerospace Engineers working to the fullest of their abilities. Small headaches here and there are possible, but no big loss (Hopefully).

787index_20100520_a2a_10.jpg

:usflag:

India has grounded all six of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft operated by state-owned carrier Air India after the same decision was made by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the Indian aviation regulator said on Thursday.

"We will not fly Dreamliners until our DGCA gives a clearance," said Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh, adding, "FAA has to first approve that Boeing Dreamliners are safe to fly."

Real bad luck for Air India. They had counted on these planes for the turn-around in fortunes, now this grounding only is going to add up to their losses. Can they request for compensation for the losses from Boeing as a result of grounding? Is it legal?

Yes it is legal. I think they will be filing for losses in the coming months.

Boeing's 787 dreamliner is a wonderful plane. It'd be up and flying in sometime. Nothing to worry about.

Such incidents are normal.

Remember how A-380's engine teared apart while it was in flight? These planes are built by thousands of Aerospace Engineers working to the fullest of their abilities. Small headaches here and there are possible, but no big loss (Hopefully).

:usflag:

Teething problems are only up to a certain extent, this has now become a full blown problem that isn't normal in any sense of the word. Stocks falling, reputation falling all in danger.

The A380 had small scale teething problems, and the engine problems were of the Engine manufacturers, not Airbus per se. It was Rolls Royce and Engine Alliance that were more affected, Rolls Royce being the worse off.

Grounding of the fleet represents a huge confidence drop by the plane operators and I am sure Boeing will be looking at it.

The problem is with the Li-Ion batteries that power the APU.

Teething problems are only up to a certain extent, this has now become a full blown problem that isn't normal in any sense of the word. Stocks falling, reputation falling all in danger.

The A380 had small scale teething problems, and the engine problems were of the Engine manufacturers, not Airbus per se. It was Rolls Royce and Engine Alliance that were more affected, Rolls Royce being the worse off.

Grounding of the fleet represents a huge confidence drop by the plane operators and I am sure Boeing will be looking at it.

The problem is with the Li-Ion batteries that power the APU.

I know and that is why I said it is normal.

It is first time in history of human aviation that Li-Ion batteries are being used to power the APU and hydraulics are replaced etc.... When you test a new technology for the first time, hurdles are normal to come by.

Boeing has a very solid reputation. I don't think anything significant will happen...

The 787 is the first commercial airliner to deploy lithium ion batteries which provide twice the capacity and half the weight of NiCad batteries and can be charged back to full capacity faster than competing battery technologies. Boeing chose to use Lithium Cobalt Dioxide as the cathode in the lithium ion batteries on these planes. This is far more energetic, but; therefore, far more potentially hazardous than the Lithium Iron Phosphate cathode chemistry. If Boeing replaced the Lithium Cobalt Dioxide cathode batteries with the Lithium Iron Phosphate cathode batteries, the chance of potential fires would be greatly reduced. Li ion battery technology has been problematic and caused fires and explosions in less critical applications such as AT&T broadband cabinets & laptop computers. Li ion battery fires in the cargo compartment caused. 3 cargo plane crashes. Airbus chose to retain the pneumatic system in A350 instead of electrical system.

Welcome boeing 787.surely gonna help the Indian airlines.

Fortunately Air India had made a profit last year- the first time in many years and this was before the 787 was in service so AI won't be all the affected by this wrt making a loss. But yes this is a dent to the airline that is in recovery. Air India will be well within their rights to persue legal action for loss of earnings- expect such news soon. Air India is also in the fortunate postion of having 27 ordered 787s with only 6 delivered meaning the remaining 21 are pending delivery as of now- this is a huge bargaining chip for Air India.

The 787-Air India drama continues!!

I have read detailed analysis on the 787 and cost of operation by airlines and judging by what has been said AI are betting a lot on the 787 turning their fortunes around and I'd say it is a good bet, they went the smart way in choosing the 787 over the A380 and I feel they are going to reap the rewards.
hey i need financial info on the operating cost of 787 for my college project,plzz help

Beautiful plane no doubt. But for Boeing product, having so many production delays, so many technical glitches, its a surprise.

Will this aircraft save Air India?

MTocL.jpg

New Uniform???

I am not an expert but the A 380 & Dreamliner is made with 2 different concepts in mind...hub to hub and point to point respectively.
ghantaa........aisee air hostesses ko dekh ke to lagta nahi kissi sare hue school ki teachers inse behter hongi :bad::D

Back
Top Bottom