What's new

Air Force Question Thread

Targeting

Laser Designator and Targeting Pod (LDTP) for target illumination and detection with day/ night capabilities;

Weapons

Fixed weapon includes a GSh-23 dual-barrel 23mm cannon. Alternatively the aircraft can be fitted with a GSh-30 dual-30mm cannon. There are 7 stores stations, including one under the fuselage, 4 under the wings, and 2 wingtip mounted, with up to 3,700kg weapon payload.

The aircraft is callable of ‘beyond-visual-range’ (BVR) attack capability with the PL-12/SD-10 active radar-homing medium-range air-to-air missile (MRAAM) developed by China Leihua Electronic Technology Research Institute (LETRI, also known as 607 Institute). The aircraft also carries two short-range AAMs on its wingtip-mounted launch rails. The options include U.S. AIM-9P and Chinese PL-7, PL-8, and PL-9.

The aircraft can carry a special pod allowing day/night delivery of laser-guided weapons. In addition, it can also carry unguided weapons such as low-drag general-purpose (LDGP) bombs and unguided rocket launchers.
FC-1 (JF-17 Thunder) Multirole Fighter Aircraft - SinoDefence.com

Under-wing hardpoints can be fitted with multiple ejector racks, allowing each hardpoint to carry two unguided or laser-guided bombs (Mk 82, GBU-12).
GBU-10, GBU-12, LT-2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JF-17_Thunder

The LeiTing-2 (LT-2, LeiTing = “Thunder”), also known as GB1 in its export name, is the first Chinese domestically built laser guided bomb (LGB) that has entered operational service with the PLA. First revealed to the public in October 2006, the LT-2 bears a great deal of similarity to the Russian KAB-500L in appearance, suggesting that it may be a licensed or reverse-engineered copy of the Russian design. The 500kg bomb can be carried by a range of aircraft including JH-7, Q-5, FC-1, J-8B, and J-10. The weapon entered the PLA service in 2003/04.
LeiTing-2 Laser Guided Bomb - SinoDefence.com

LS-500J
The LGB appears similar to Russian KAB-500L and its export version is called LT-2. It is the first such type of smart weapon to enter the service with PLAAF, even though Chinese have been testing LGBs (including LS-500J) using Q-5E/F attack aircraft for some years. LS-500J's weight is 564kg, length 3530mm, diameter 377mm, range>10km, CEP£6.5m, warhead 450kg. Its development was completed in 2003. The laser designator pod carried by JH-7A is thought to be the product of 613 Institute. The latest image indicated that LS-500J can also be carried by J-10.
- Last Updated 9/9/08
Chinese Military Aviation

FILAT (Forward-looking Infrared and Laser Attack Targeting) pod is an airborne attack pod designed to provide aircraft with all weather / night attack capabilities. It was first revealed to the public at 1998 Zhuhai Air Show, and it is designed by the 613 Institute of AVIC. FILAT pod is the Chinese equivalent of the AN/AAQ-14 targeting pod of the LANTIRN system, and several derivatives have already been developed since its public debut. The Chinese government has acknowledged that FILAT pod is based on the experience of the following three western targeting pods: LANTIRN, TIALD and LITENING targeting pods.
FILAT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Blue Sky low altitude navigational pod is an airborne navigational / attack pod designed to provide aircraft with all weather / night attack capabilities. It was first revealed to the public at 1998 Zhuhai Air Show, and it is designed by CLETRI, or more commonly known as the 607th Institute. Blue Sky navigational pod is the Chinese equivalent of the AN/AAQ-13 navigational pod of the LANTIRN system, and several derivatives have already been developed since its public debut. Like the FILAT targeting pod, Blue Sky navigational pod is based on the experience of LANTIRN, a fact that is officially acknowledged by the Chinese governmental media.
Blue Sky navigation pod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imageshack - ft7withtargetingpodsl0

Last edited:
ok i have a question what are radar pointing errors and how radar pointing errors are sensed in single-target track mode?

it is heard taht AIM 9 can be used with F-7s than it might be possible jf-17.

AIM-45 ???

AIM-9 of JF-17:

Active radar homing beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missiles, such as the Chinese PL-12/SD-10, can be deployed once integrated with the on-board radar and data-link for mid-course updates. PL-12/SD-10 is expected to be the aircraft's primary BVR air-to-air weapon, although this may change if radars of other origin are fitted. Chinese short range infra-red homing missiles such as the PL-5E and PL-9C, as well as missiles of other origin such as the AIM-9L/M, can be launched. The PAF is also seekingto arm the JF-17 with a modern fifth generation close-combat missile such as the IRIS-T or A-darter. These will be integrated with the helmet mounted sights/display (HMS/HMD) as well as the radar for targeting

Being primarily an export-orientated fighter, the JF-17's tactical/mission avionics are based on the MIL-STD-1760 data bus architecture, so that Western weapons and other systems can be integrated with them. This allows JF-17 to effectively use Western as well as Chinese sensors and weapon systems such as radars, electronic warfare suites, missiles and bombs. Certain types of weapons, such as the Russian KAB series of bombs, require special adapter rails to be fitted to the aircraft's hardpoints.

Beyond the initial 50 PAF JF-17, the remaining production aircraft may also be equipped with European avionics, radars and weaponry. Pakistan had begun negotiations with British and Italian defence firms over potential avionics and radars for JF-17 during initial development. Some of the radar options for JF-17 are the Italian Galileo Avionica Grifo S7 and the French Thomson-CSF RC400 (a variant of the RDY-2), along with the MBDA MICA IR/RF short/medium range air-to-air missiles. The Vixen 500E AESA radar has also been offered to the PAF for installation on the JF-17 by the British company SELEX, but the PAF may be looking for a more advanced AESA radar

Missiles:

Air-to-air missiles:
Short range: AIM-9L/M, PL-5E, PL-9C
Beyond visual range: PL-12 / SD-10
JF-17 Thunder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The aircraft has ‘beyond-visual-range’ (BVR) attack capability with the PL-12/SD-10 active radar-homing medium-range air-to-air missile (MRAAM) developed by China Leihua Electronic Technology Research Institute (LETRI, also known as 607 Institute). The aircraft also carries two short-range AAMs on its wingtip-mounted launch rails. The options include U.S. AIM-9P and Chinese PL-7, PL-8, and PL-9.

The JF-17s in service with the PAF are fitted with an Italian Grifo S-7 multi-track, multi-mode, pulse Doppler radar radar. The radar has 25 working modes and a non-break-down time of 200 hours, and is capable of “look-down, shoot-down”, as well as for ground strike abilities. Alternatively, the aircraft can be fitted with the Thales RC400, GEC Marconi Blue Hawk, Russian Phazotron Zemchug/Kopyo, and Chinese indigenous KLJ-7 developed by Nanjing Research Institute of Electronics Technology (NRIET).

The FC-1’s avionics architecture is supported by two mission computers based on Multi-Bus System (MIL-STD-1553B).
http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/fighter/fc1.asp

ROSE upgraded Mirage III/Vs:
Mirage III ROSE Program
Main article: ROSE upgrade
The ROSE program was launched by the French SAGEM to upgrade the Pakistan Air Force's Mirage III & Mirage 5 series. The upgradings took place in three stages - ROSE-I, ROSE-II, and ROSE-III. Approximately 42 Mirage IIIs underwent the ROSE I upgrade which included the addition of the Grifo M radar - which gave the PAF's ROSE I aircraft BVR capability. Under the ROSE-II program at least 40 PAF's Mirage 5 aircraft were upgraded with digital cockpits and FLIR pods; this made the ROSE II an air-to-surface strike-oriented aircraft capable of using H-series precision-guided bombs. The Mirage ROSE III is a follow-up version of the ROSE II, the PAF has 14 ROSE III aircraft in service.

Missiles: 2× AIM-9 Sidewinders OR Matra R550 Magics plus 1× Matra R530
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Mirage_III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROSE_upgrade

Last edited:
Sir Murad...you agree or not agree....in Mirage M2k and F16 scenario( comment about Mirage 2000
"Sustained turning is much more important than instantaneous turning then fading quickly, concerning a real life dog fight. You need to hold your nose for a decent amount of time to get a sucessful kill with guns. You can't just spot them for a few seconds and expect to get a good kill with guns. "

F-16 (provided it has a laser targeting pod)

AS-30L is laser guided, the carrier aircraft would need a laser designator.

Launch platforms are: Mirage 2000D, Mirage 2000-5, F-16, Jaguar, Mirage F1, upgraded Super Etendard, Rafale.
(AS-30L - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
(AS-30L)

Qualification was achieved in 1985 on the Jaguar, in 1985 and 1986 on the export version of the Mirage F1 and the Mirage 2000, in 1992 on F-16 Fighting Falcon and 1993 on the Mirage 2000D. Since then it has also been cleared for carriage on Rafale, Super Etendard, Tornado GR. Mk 1 and possible AMX aircraft. In the case of the F-16 Fighting Falcon successful night firings were carried out using a Martin Marietta (now Lockheed Martin) Sharpshooter pod.
(air-force)

Sir Murad...you agree or not agree....in Mirage M2k and F16 scenario( comment about Mirage 2000

Haider if you are talking about truning radius in a Dog Fight F-16 will have a upper hand, with a delta wing you have to keep the nose up to tell you the truth I have 2000 hr on Mirages and a lot of hours on F-16s but I have not flown MK2. Yes few of my students have flown it and are still flying it in UAEAF. They speak very highly of it. If we get BVR on F-16s than we are good, I don't want to boast if a pilot like my self sits in a MK2 I would curtainly have a hard time locking on a Falcon. Again it will come to tactics and experience.

Last edited:
Muradk, Sir, the Mirage III was a fine fighter platform though, is that correct? I mean it has such a reputation, even though it has that large delta wing.

I have not researched this and will be as soon as I finish posting this. I am however hoping that those of you who already know can help:

Am I correct to assume that for interception/dog fighting, the PAF will pick the F-7 first before the Mirage? The Mirages are more for strike roles? In other words "is the F-7 a better interceptor than the Mirage III?"

I would think that any surviving Mirage III's would be used for strike roles, but I know that they have an impressive air to air record, particularly in Israeli hands.

I would think that any surviving Mirage III's would be used for strike roles, but I know that they have an impressive air to air record, particularly in Israeli hands.

Israeli were just lucky they got to fight with pilots who had no combat experience. Why was it that when ever a Pakistani pilot took off they got clean kills. Everyone of us. I will not go into details if PAF hasn't released any info who am I to open the box. My point was simple when ever we went 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 , 3 vs 3 we won and without any fancy moves.

none. And there is no need to say we are not getting the planes cos' the actual timescale for getting these birds is 2010 and we are still a year away from 2010. If you could just read through the F-16 discussion thread, you would not have been asking this question. Meanbird sir has answered this question thoroughly and many times.
Maybe mean-bird sir can answer more appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom