What's new

Air Force Question Thread

I have a question here. I have searched the details of PAF F16 squadrons(F-16 Inventory) on F16.net but details shows that there are only 9-10 jets in each squad. where are remaining other 10 jets??

due to sanctions, there were no attrition replacements and pre-911 PAF had consolidated to 2 sqdns (9 and 11)
now replacements are being received (14 so far) and therefore sqdn replinishment is taking shape. we r up to 2.8 sqdn strength based on 16 a/c per sqdn.(9,11 and OCU)

due to sanctions, there were no attrition replacements and pre-911 PAF had consolidated to 2 sqdns (9 and 11)
now replacements are being received (14 so far) and therefore sqdn replinishment is taking shape. we r up to 2.8 sqdn strength based on 16 a/c per sqdn.(9,11 and OCU)

Yar I thing there should be only 2 Sdq 9 and 11, 11 being OCU. Plus remember just because we have more F-16 doesn't mean that all of them will be flying most of the times a ratio is maintained and the rest dont fly till they want them.

Yar I thing there should be only 2 Sdq 9 and 11, 11 being OCU. Plus remember just because we have more F-16 doesn't mean that all of them will be flying most of the times a ratio is maintained and the rest dont fly till they want them.

Thanks for clarifying sir, but wont those a/c be assigned a sqdn no?

some sources are saying that Pakistan is getting Lockheed Martin's Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod where as some are saying that we will be getting AN/ALQ-211(V)9 AIDEWS Pods? what are the purpose of acquiring two types of equipments? is there is any use of DRFM instead of having AN/ALQ-211(V)9 AIDEWS Pods?

some sources are saying that Pakistan is getting Lockheed Martin's Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod where as some are saying that we will be getting AN/ALQ-211(V)9 AIDEWS Pods? what are the purpose of acquiring two types of equipments? is there is any use of DRFM instead of having AN/ALQ-211(V)9 AIDEWS Pods?

ALQ-211 V9 is basically a advance defensive Electronic Warfare suite.. which will provide situational awareness like laser, FR,IR and with a great punch of countermeasure capability.. Sniper pod for F-16 is like adding a scope to your gun;)

What is the thing above the gun and why is it covered??? the one with the red cover on it??

Mianwali04_3.jpg

These are called Auxiliary air intake doors and you can find one on each side…Besides main intake which is in nose ( you cant miss it ) , Mig-21/F-7P/PG has few other small air intakes in the fuselage that open/close at certain speeds or throttle settings…In the above pic ( click it to enlarge), you can see that Aux door is open…….When aircraft is on ground , the front and Aux intakes are protected with intake covers so any bird or FOD doesn’t go into the intake…that’s what those red covers are for…..they are removed during the pre-flight inspection by the ground –crew…

In the above pic, if you watch closely, try spotting another air intake…any success? Well it’s on the nose where aircrafts number is written…just see ahead of number 8…there is a square thing.... You will rarely find a pic where these intakes are open….They are hinged outwards from front and open against springs to allow air in the duct to spill overboard whenever supply exceeds demand. These normally operate at Mach numbers greater then 1.3 …

Front intakes are easy to design than the side or belly intakes….But then front intakes do have many technical and operational limitation too…Remember that jet engines are big suckers…Once you make the pilot sit in the path between intake and engine , you are choking the poor engine…so it needs aux intakes elsewhere in the fuselage to support it appetite…

The biggest operational limit for the front intakes is that you cannot house a powerful radar or electronic / avionics equipment ….Other than Mig-21, F-7 and SU-22, I cant recall any other fighter that is still operational and has a front intake. Or is there any ?? :undecided:

P.S ..Any Mod or Webby, can you please enlarge the F-7s pic, I tried making it bigger but all my science failed...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you see a mirage you can see them very clearly. In an f-86 they are right next to the tail on both sides.

738a52af930eccc1f06b36b2113797f8.jpg

mirage2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1965 war, PAF's No.4 Squadron with SA-16 Albatross maritime aircrafts detected and tracked the movements of Indian naval vessels especially the carrier INS Vikrant.

They were fitted with search radars and had very long endurance.

From http://orbat.com/site/history/open1/pakistan_pafsquadrons.pdf

"On 19 August 68 the SA-16s were placed in storage, bringing to a close their commendable ten year contribution to the task of search and rescue. No 4 Squadron continued operating its helicopters till they too were approaching the end of their useful life. In March 69 the unit was number-plated."

I was wondering which aircrafts Pakistan AF or Navy used for maritime reconnaissance in 1971?? Was it not possible to put SA-16s back into service??

This question is important since we lost some naval ships in 1971 due to Indian Navy missile boats. It means that maritime recce was either abscent or not fully capable in 1971.

If you see a mirage you can see them very clearly. In an f-86 they are right next to the tail on both sides.

738a52af930eccc1f06b36b2113797f8.jpg

mirage2.jpg

All plane have this feature. It is about having low speed but needing lots of thrust. So you need not only lots of fuel but also lots of air to generate that. If you fly fast you get enough air to make the mixture but if you are starting to generate speed you need that extra intake. Somme planse have moveable intakes (like F15) some planes have extra intakes around the intake (like the Harrier) but there are some planes you need to think very deep... (the f16 has them on the topsides of the intake)

Then you go beyond that understanding if you are at high speed and you do not want tooooo much airflow then you end up with complex or intelligent conus or DSI kind of apparatus... Certainly if you get supersonic airspeed then you need to slow down your inflowspeed... You just want to keep you engine flow subsonic otherwise you end pretty much dead...

a... Love to have these kind of insights with Murad and X-man. when I walked around at AMARC it was one of these topics you keep thinking about how the engineers solved it. Love engineers. Love pilots.

All plane have this feature. It is about having low speed but needing lots of thrust. So you need not only lots of fuel but also lots of air to generate that. If you fly fast you get enough air to make the mixture but if you are starting to generate speed you need that extra intake. Somme planse have moveable intakes (like F15) some planes have extra intakes around the intake (like the Harrier) but there are some planes you need to think very deep... (the f16 has them on the topsides of the intake)

Then you go beyond that understanding if you are at high speed and you do not want tooooo much airflow then you end up with complex or intelligent conus or DSI kind of apparatus... Certainly if you get supersonic airspeed then you need to slow down your inflowspeed... You just want to keep you engine flow subsonic otherwise you end pretty much dead...

a... Love to have these kind of insights with Murad and X-man. when I walked around at AMARC it was one of these topics you keep thinking about how the engineers solved it. Love engineers. Love pilots.

In my opnion Engg should get more credit but the way RPAF was set up a GDP is a GDP and Engg is a gracia. in 65 , 71 we should have given all the engg a medal for keeping the fleet working 24/7.

i looks on google earth our air base parking were line up planes that dark black why its oil or any other thing?

i looks on google earth our air base parking were line up planes that dark black why its oil or any other thing?

Yes specially Mirage when it stops it leaks fuel from both front and the back JP4 that is why when the plane stops the Airman puts oil trays underneath them.
I wish you guys could see a SR-71 Blackbird preflight condition it leaks oil from every part of its body, the faster it goes the leaks stop after Mach 1 no oil leaks, It took 19 hours of
prep time to fly it for 4 hours only.

In 1965 war, PAF's No.4 Squadron with SA-16 Albatross maritime aircrafts detected and tracked the movements of Indian naval vessels especially the carrier INS Vikrant.

They were fitted with search radars and had very long endurance.

From http://orbat.com/site/history/open1/pakistan_pafsquadrons.pdf

"On 19 August 68 the SA-16s were placed in storage, bringing to a close their commendable ten year contribution to the task of search and rescue. No 4 Squadron continued operating its helicopters till they too were approaching the end of their useful life. In March 69 the unit was number-plated."

I was wondering which aircrafts Pakistan AF or Navy used for maritime reconnaissance in 1971?? Was it not possible to put SA-16s back into service??

This question is important since we lost some naval ships in 1971 due to Indian Navy missile boats. It means that maritime recce was either abscent or not fully capable in 1971.

shabaz ji this is a very good question - i will check with my naval friends meanwhile IMO there was no maritime recce available to both PN and IN and if you remember the soviets loaned a maritime recce a/c to india during the war.

I remember the Naval Commander incharge of Anti Air Defence of Keamari telling me that some Fokkers were drafted for maritime recce work during 1971. It has been a very long time and my memory is foggy.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom