What's new

Air Force Question Thread

Discovery channel made a documentary on swedish aircrafts called "Wings of Sweden" and I searched it several times but could not watch this documentary. It would be great if someone can find it on net.

Regarding Gripen's use from roads, one another factor is that it can be turned around or maintained by just a small team of 5-6 technicians. Thats important for roadside operations because elaborate infrastructure is not available there and fighters heavy on maintenance requirements are somewhat difficult to operate from the roads.

Well its on the military channel at 11 am on the 29th I couldn't find any others apart from the Russian and American ones

well through out the heat of operations aviation is one arm of pakistan army seems working beyond its limitations supporting operations carried by own troops to take the culprits to the task............

GIVE YOUR VIEWS!

:pakistan:

There was a pretty good article by one of the fellows at Pakdef in AFM about the role of PAA in the recent operations. It was pretty good reading.

Yeah I particularly liked the SSG extraction story featuring Mi17s and Cobra gunships.

:pakistan:sir i have one question related with ID Card Member ship>
that it is possiable to make a membership card in which i show that im the Real Membership of Defence.pk and if i want to visit your PIA and Airforce Area the the security of your departement allow me to visit your PIA and Defence area b.coz this my wishes to visit Airfore departement but i have no any permission and no any Card so this coz i conform you to tell me this solution. how can i see your departement. please tell us all detaies about this knowledge.
im kindly thankful to you.

There was a pretty good article by one of the fellows at Pakdef in AFM about the role of PAA in the recent operations. It was pretty good reading.

I covered that news for our forum!

well through out the heat of operations aviation is one arm of pakistan army seems working beyond its limitations supporting operations carried by own troops to take the culprits to the task............

GIVE YOUR VIEWS!
:pakistan:

in my view we dont have enough assets like gunship-helicopters, assault helicopters, transport / lift helicopters to make the PAA really effective in these operations.
u r correct, the PAA is extended beyond its limits and is doing a great job supporting ground ops.

Whereas i would argue that while that is so, what Pakistan armed forces need is capacity building, that is more institutions of technical scientific education and a system to rotate greater numbers of personnel through these institutions.

just wanted to add, that we may also look at training, we need to upgrade the training, particularly to bring the training up past US marines training, for example and substantially increase our SSG personnel and give it a capablity that Pakistan must have.Especially since there are "guests" in the neigborhood.

Its just a shame that the South African Rooivalk project is being closed as that would have been an ideal system for the Pakistan army aviation.

that is more institutions of technical scientific education and a system to rotate greater numbers of personnel through these institutions.

I would definitely agree with that, though Blain can probably explain better on that count...

^^^it is always good to learn new techniques and ideas, but the current level of training being imparted in our armed forces is robust and up to the required standards of our threat perceptions.

in my view we dont have enough assets like gunship-helicopters, assault helicopters, transport / lift helicopters to make the PAA really effective in these operations.
u r correct, the PAA is extended beyond its limits and is doing a great job supporting ground ops.
I vaguely remember articles being posted on why its difficult for the PA to base their attack helos near the front lines (security and logistical purposes primarily). Which probably means that the pilots have to fly a larger distance and hence come up with lesser fuel when they reach their intended area of operation; which needless to say puts them at a disadvantage. This in turn got me thinking, why aren't the PA and FC looking into procuring turboprop counterinsurgency specific platforms like the Super Tucano? These things seem to be highly sophisticated, and sport the ability to provide CAS as well as strategic interdiction capabilities using laser guided munitions and such. They also have great survivability in the context of counterinsurgency operations and relatively lower maintenance costs (especially when compared to jet fighters). I'm assuming they can cover greater distances than the helicopters and fly high altitude missions if/when needed. Also, the PAF probably has a lot of pilots capable of flying an aircraft of this sort (don't know if it requires radically different training such as that associated with helicopter pilots) which means the integration can be a lot faster.

I vaguely remember articles being posted on why its difficult for the PA to base their attack helos near the front lines (security and logistical purposes primarily). Which probably means that the pilots have to fly a larger distance and hence come up with lesser fuel when they reach their intended area of operation; which needless to say puts them at a disadvantage. This in turn got me thinking, why aren't the PA and FC looking into procuring turboprop counterinsurgency specific platforms like the Super Tucano? These things seem to be highly sophisticated, and sport the ability to provide CAS as well as strategic interdiction capabilities using laser guided munitions and such. They also have great survivability in the context of counterinsurgency operations and relatively lower maintenance costs (especially when compared to jet fighters). I'm assuming they can cover greater distances than the helicopters and fly high altitude missions if/when needed. Also, the PAF probably has a lot of pilots capable of flying an aircraft of this sort (don't know if it requires radically different training such as that associated with helicopter pilots) which means the integration can be a lot faster.

1. PAF's doctrine does not include COIN. CAS yes with FGA's. it maybe a good idea to now start thinking about COIN ops which is basically the purview of the PAA. inter-service jostling for priority / funds will be a restriction if PA/PAF go for this much needed expansion. therefore it is very important that we somehow obtain the CI funds for equipment and training being offered by the US without compromising our interests.

I have a question here. I have searched the details of PAF F16 squadrons(F-16 Inventory) on F16.net but details shows that there are only 9-10 jets in each squad. where are remaining other 10 jets??

Back
Top Bottom