What's new

Air Force Question Thread

Im sorry but I just couldn't figure out where to post this question. Anyway, the F-22 uses a combo of its rudders (out), flaps (down) and ailerons (up) as airbrakes. Now does that not hinder the pilots control over the bird while deploying them?

IMG_1263.jpg

f_22_breaks_on_133.jpg

Im sorry but I just couldn't figure out where to post this question. Anyway, the F-22 uses a combo of its rudders (out), flaps (down) and ailerons (up) as airbrakes. Now does that not hinder the pilots control over the bird while deploying them?

No, it doesn't. Pilots are trained to think and manage things using different approaches. In any fighter aircraft the purpose is to control the air speed that can be done using a combination of aileron/flaperons, rudder and horizontal stabilizers. Inside aircraft secondary flight control system manages the control of lift and drag( and primary FCS manages steering (pitch, roll and yaw).

Regarding F-22, it has no dedicated speed brakes it employs 'split' rudders as virtual air brakes, which interestingly work more effectively than air brakes. Both rudders are independent are generate fair amount of drag which generates very effective stopping power. Now you must be thinking why the don't used

conventional air brakes in F-22? The answer is that they reduced weight of aircraft by handling things 'virtually'...also by giving more command to aircraft's computer.

Very useful discussion on F-22's rudders.
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-13293.html

F-22 FLIGHT TEST PROGRAM UPDATE by Lt Col Steven M. Rainey, USAF (M), F-22 Operations Officer
The F-22 has no dedicated speed brake surfaces, but uses the standard flight control surfaces for the speed brake function. In the CRUISE configuration, the ailerons deflect up, flaperons down, and rudders deflect out or the "barn door" mode. This is very effective in slowing the aircraft. In comparison, the F-22 and F-15 in side-by-side formation both deployed their speed brakes and the F-15 wound up in front.

Just wondering, the newly acquired "Aircraft carrier killer" missile, the CM-400 AKG, has a reported range of between 100-250 KMs.
Since this weapon is to be launched from the JF-17, does the aircraft has a radar which can detect and lock it's target at this distance. ?? Thanks.

Just wondering, the newly acquired "Aircraft carrier killer" missile, the CM-400 AKG, has a reported range of between 100-250 KMs.
Since this weapon is to be launched from the JF-17, does the aircraft has a radar which can detect and lock it's target at this distance. ?? Thanks.

Good question, I believe the look-down mode of any radar will be less than their a2a mode.

The F-5s has a funny story behind it.
Flt Lt Naeem took off and after about 2 min we see the OC flying running towards the Flight ops.
"So what happend Sir" "Tell that ediot to land the dame plane it does not have an ejection system installed in it:eek: we just found out they just told us a few min ago". :lol: so actualy flytime of F-5 over a PAF base is 4 min. appox.

Sir that is a hilarious story. So the Naeem sir was sitting on a seat that did not have an ejection system ?

How funny is that ?

I guess they must have told him after he landed, lol....

Sir, tell them that story when Wing Commander Randhawa was training a student pilot on a T-6 which went into a spin and he could not recover soon enough so he told his student to bail out and he bailed out. The student didn't bail out and recovered the aircraft from the spin and came back and landed.

Of course we know that when Randhawa sahib who was a tall and hefty fellow bailed out it moved the CG and the aircraft recovered from spin easily, but it did cause an embarrassment to a red faced Instructor, lol.....

I always wanted to find out if that story was true ?

Can your confirm the veracity of that story, Sir ?

Back
Top Bottom