What's new

Aid conditional to AQ Khan access - US Bill

You know about THIS, of course.

It's in committee now and pending for a general session.

It will be interesting to see how this delicate matter pans out.
The chances of handing over Khan to US or to give US access to him are very very slim. The reason is, PA wont allow that to happen. It is an open 'secret' that Khan and his civilian setup was not alone in this. If things reach to a point where access to him was inevitable, he will be silenced in the greater interest of the country.

the funny thing is, you'll soon see congress throw this bill in the trash and draft up a new one. they won't get the army to budge on this one, and they need the army in Pakistan to assure their stay in afghanistan, so do the math. actually it's unbelievable how stupid these people can be by actually passing a law like this.

I had no idea people this stupid existed on earth. do they actually think Pakistan is going to listen? do they think Pakistan is just going to let them do whatever they want without getting F-16's in return? the US can do a lot of stuff with Pakistan, but the one thing the military will not tolerate is NO F-SOLAS (16)!

"If things reach to a point where access to him was inevitable, he will be silenced in the greater interest of the country."

Confluence. I'm not certain that our desire for access might not lead to the same end. Who said talking? Maybe all we wish is to "see" him briefly. I know I would.

However, you're correct. Your need to silence exceeds our need to eliminate. The potential to roll up so much more IS there.

OTOH, these agencies aren't entirely stupid. They've been working this problem from a variety of angles for some time now and, I suspect, have a myriad of perspectives.

Lots of folks involved here- Dutch and others. He's a wanted man in Holland.

Interesting guy who can choose to appear on CNN or anywhere else any minute he wishes.

The timing is interesting - coinciding with North Korea's latest tantrum and IAEA DG's indication that Iran has reached nuclear weapons breakout capability...

As a free citizen, Khan may flatly refuse to talk to a foreign govt. Even if he does agree to talk, he could play the willing scapegoat and claim nobody else was involved but him, refusing to acknowledge PA role. GoP will not move against him as it is fighting many fires and does not need yet another one. I bet he enjoys more popular support than either Zardari or Sharif.

Confluence. I'm not certain that our desire for access might not lead to the same end. Who said talking? Maybe all we wish is to "see" him briefly. I know I would.

However, you're correct. Your need to silence exceeds our need to eliminate. The potential to roll up so much more IS there.

Or maybe, the desire to shield a national treasure from unfriendly eyes and hands is paramount, as any such action can have a destablising effect on the body politik. The people of Pakistan will just not accept it.

Lots of folks involved here- Dutch and others. He's a wanted man in Holland.

Your information is outdated. The Dutch governement took away his conviction in absentia years ago. He's not a wanted man there anymore.

Thanks.:)

I did not know.

EDIT: It seems his case was overturned on a technicality. It also seems that the Dutch have given up as (presumably) evidence disappeared with Mr. Khan and they think his reappearance on summons is unlikely.

At least that's how Michael Laufer of the Carnegie Endowment sees it-

A.Q. Khan Timeline

You're correct, though. Were he to show up in Holland tomorrow, they'd have to re-open the case and subpoena him. I'd guess he'd be long gone before that happened.

Last edited:
Lawmakers introduce bill on US military aid to Pak

Updated at: 0232 PST, Friday, March 13, 2009

WASHINGTON: US Senators on Thursday introduced a bill in Congress putting conditions on Pakistan military aid.

The bill said the US military aid to Pakistan will be cut off in case Pakistan does not allow US investigation agencies access to Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan.

Member Democratic Party Jane Harman who prepared the bill said Dr. AQ Khan can proliferate nuclear warheads to suspected elements even today.

According to law, US will be allowed to seek confirmation form Pakistan government over her monitoring policy on AQ Khan or else US will cut off Pakistan’s military aid.

Khan, released from house arrest in early February, "is again a loose nuke scientist with proven ability to sell the worst weapons to the worst people," said Democratic Representative Jane Harman, a lead author of the bill.

She hoped Pakistan government to become as much concerned over the likelihoods of nuclear proliferation as US is in this wake.

"Hopefully, appropriate Pakistani officials worry as we do that their civilians could become nuclear targets -- as could NATO soldiers in neighboring Afghanistan or civilians in any number of Western countries," said Harman.

AQ Khan can still sell out nuclear warhead to any one in the world, she warned.

The legislation would also tie continued US military aid -- equipment, supplies, and training -- to getting satisfactory assurances from Islamabad that it is monitoring Khan's movements and activities.

The measure would tie aid to White House certification that Pakistan is making Khan available to the US government for questioning and is giving "adequate assurances" that it will watch him "to prevent his participation in any efforts to disseminate nuclear technology or know-how."

Lawmakers introduce bill on US military aid to Pak - GEO.tv

This news will further anger the Pakistani public.

This is just one senator who obviously will be backed by indo-israeli lobby to pursue this bill however Assad is right, it will be thrown in the trash and a new bill will soon be presented regarding aid because under any circumstances, even if the GOP agrees to it which it wouldn't, thanks to its declining popularity and dose not want to give opposition one more opportunity to throw the government out, they will back down because army will not allow under any circumstances an access to Dr.Qadeer no matter what, no matter how many F-solas go down the toilet drain.

Just heard on Geo News that, USA has proposed a Bill to put a Condition on American AID that Americans Should Have Access to A.Q Khan.

i will personally go and arm myself and wait outside his house.....

nobody better get their hands AQ Khan. And shame on any Pakistani who is even CONSIDERING this yankee offer.

Quite frankly, Pakistan should bleed a little bit --but at least keep honour and manhood intact. I dont trust these PPP peoples at all. And I sure as hell dont trust the americans.

But we shouldnt be surprised......the irony is that the neo-con republicans have always been more friendly and less bitchy to Pakistan, unlike the goddam democrats.

p.s. the bill wont pass. We may not get our military aid, but any access to AQ Khan is a national security risk

AQ may suffer from a ' heart attack' or some other " natural" form of demise if things get out of PA's hands.

i will personally go and arm myself and wait outside his house.....

nobody better get their hands AQ Khan. And shame on any Pakistani who is even CONSIDERING this yankee offer.

Quite frankly, Pakistan should bleed a little bit --but at least keep honour and manhood intact. I dont trust these PPP peoples at all. And I sure as hell dont trust the americans.

But we shouldnt be surprised......the irony is that the neo-con republicans have always been more friendly and less bitchy to Pakistan, unlike the goddam democrats.

p.s. the bill wont pass. We may not get our military aid, but any access to AQ Khan is a national security risk

There'll be massive protests all over Pakistan if Zardari accepts this deal and Zardari will be kicked out of Pakistan for good.

Pakistanis were angry when Musharaf placed Dr AQ Khan under house arrest, imagine what this will make Pakistanis do.

Guys, It wont happen..period.Pakistan will never hand over AQ to America and Zardari can't do **** in this kind of matters unless he is backed by Army.

we don want any aid from us...we only want help from suprerme power ALLAH Almighty...
really hate us and their policies..
dr a q khan zinda bad

Back
Top Bottom