What's new

Agartala Conspiracy confession, what does it mean for our history

the only solution to the 1971 crisis was , appoint mujeeb the Prime minister and hand him over full power and authority for whole of Pakistan. thats what i think he wanted to be the PM, thats what bhotto wanted as well, and yahya;s plan was no different. If mujeeb was made PM i think in few months time his popularity would have come down to zero and we would have saved pakistan because after all it was a power struggle.nothing more nothing less.

Of-course Mujib wanted the PM position. He won the elections back then. The West Pakistani leadership were always wary of Bengalis dominating the politics of Pakistan due to the large Bengali population.

But then, like you and me said, Mujib wouldn't have lasted very long at the helm.

1. When Partition took place IB, the political intel deptt of the Raj fell almost totally to India because it's HQ was at New Delhi. Bengal's subsidiary HQ was at Calcutta. India not only energized these offices but also kept the networks intact. Somehow IB of the Raj was dominated by Hindu officers and operatives in this part. ( One of the agitating students killed in 1952 was an Indian national, though Muslim. He is buried in his village across the border. People don't like to talk about this, but at times eye brows have been raised.) On the heels of Partition IB India made the first known contact for a dissolution of Pakistan through the DHC Office Dhaka. This was then located adjacent to the present day Ittefaq office. Ittefaq's "Declaration" had been made in the name of Motahar Husain of Barisal. Motahar was the man Indian IB contacted. Pak Intel discovered this and Motahar was arrested. However, eventually nothing happened to him and he kept his high profile presence in the media till he died about 10 years back.

2. From the Indian side the career of Deb Mukharjee, a diplomat who started as a 3rd Secy at Dhaka and ended as Hi Com to BD, is relevant to Agaratala Conspiracy, 1971 War and even the current Indo-BD relations.

3. To my knowledge and considered understanding this Conspiracy was the first goof-up by ISI and its chief Akbar. I say my knowledge because I have known some of the players involved. The main conspirators were dismissed bureaucrats charged under EBDO/303. Among them Ruhul Quddus, later to become Principal Secy, was a hard core. But their effort was really limited to drawing room talks. IB India was able to introduce some low level people, and they were the hardcore. Among them was Steward Mujib of PIA. Not much of research has been done on him and he escaped all attention till he died. Same with another man, Beg and the navy sailor Sulatn.

4.Yes, Lieut Comdr Moazzem was also a hard core. But the other army officers were not directly involved in the project still in the thinking stage. Col Shawkat, Ord was posted in Karachi where he got involved through Moazzem. He involved Capt Alim Bhuyan, another Ord officer, who became an approver. Other prominent officers were Nuruzzaman the only infantry officer who later became JRB chief,was really an abettor; Col Alam and Col Khurshid were doctors; Huda was an ASC officer who was back in service after 1971, transferred to infantry, got promoted to Col and appointed bde comdr when he was killed.

5. Whatever Hasina or Shawkat now say, Sheikh was not involved in this. During his lifetime he never once mentioned this. If true then then why would he miss out on this "achievement"? Btw, Sheikh also never said that he had declared BD's independence. Yes, others did and he did not refute. Both Shawkat and Hasina have huge political mileage to gain. And this would cross out any misgivings about Sheikh not participating in the war. Shawakat is marginalized in BAL having refused to join the party after it was revived. He had continued to stay with Razzaq's BAKSAL which had annoyed Hasina.

6. Notably when the rag tag group of conspirators went to Agartala, Stweard Mujib took the leadership.He was the one who had jotted down the future course of the new state and signed the famous Secret Pact. India has always taken this document as the starting point of all Indo-BD relations thereafter, 1971 inclusive.

7. Having said all that I must state that it is quite probable that the hardcore conspirators and their IB India handlers had assumed that once E Bengal became volatile Sheikh would be catapulted into leadership. Being a man with wide contacts in the society it is not impossible that he had known something was cooking. But there is no record or evidence to suggest that he mad any effort to contact them or to conspire with them. Except some of the bureaucrats whom he would have met in professional life, Sheikh had not met any of the other arrested earlier.

8. In defense of Akbar and the newly formed ISI I must say that they were under great pressure from Ayub to size up Sheikh. Here was a mistake that W Pak dominated administration was to repeat in 1971. A political issue is best solved politically. Involving the military or state agencies often result in messy consequences.

1,2,3 & 4. Very good information from your own personal first hand account, thanks for your contribution.

5,6 & 7. I am sorry, but with due respect, I disagree with your opinion that Mujib was not involved. If you and I were the head and deputy of IB and RAW, what would we have done?

- we would make sure we find a popular figure head and create a movement to make him even more popular
- we would keep the conspiracy limited to lower rung and never let these lower rungs have direct contact with the figure head, so as to maintain plausible deniability for the figure head
- it is possible that Hasina and Shawkat is now lying to gain political mileage, but I doubt this narrative for several reasons
- I think both Indian intelligence and Mujib knew and carefully followed the lack of physical direct contact to maintain plausible deniability
- but Mujib in my opinion was fully aware and in sync with moves suggested by Indian intelligence and he followed these moves recommended by them, here are my reasons and evidence for having this belief:

1. Mujib did inherit the idea of independent United Bengal from Suhrawardy (who gave it up after 1947 partition) and was fascinated by it and I believe it became his obsession and dream, even if it meant independence of a weak vulnerable East Begnal which would become a vassal state of India. But he did not have enough knowledge of basic geopolitics to understand what a great disaster this would mean for not just the people of Bangladesh but for the entire Muslim world (breaking the largest Muslim country in the world), so because of these reasons, he could be easily manipulated by Indian intelligence

2. Mujib was a demagogue, a charismatic big mouth who had little idea of geopolitics or even political manipulation, so what he accomplished from 1950's to 1971, I believe this would not have been possible without direct or indirect guidance from Indian intelligence. The proof of his incompetence and lack of vision is from his rule 1972-1975:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangladesh-defence/197251-mujibs-rule-bangladesh-1972-1975-a.html

This happened because Indian intelligence were no longer involved in running or providing guidance for Awami League or Mujib did not listen to them anymore, which was in the end fatal for him.

3.Swadhin Bangal Biplobi Parishad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Swadhin Bangal Biplobi Parishad was an underground student political group organized in 1961 by Mujibur Rahman, the founder of Bangladesh. The group worked to oppose the military rule of Ayub Khan, as well as for greater autonomy and the independence of East Pakistan as "Bangladesh."

4. Col. Shawkat Ali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although it was largely thought that the Case was only to frame Sheikh Mujib and others,[2] in 2010, and on the anniversary of the withdrawal of the Case on 22 February 2011, Shawkat Ali confessed to the Parliament at a point of order that the charges read out to them were accurate, stating that they formed a Shangram Parishad under Sheikh Mujib for the sedition and secession of East Pakistan.[3][4]

5. 'Agartala conspiracy case was not false' | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Dhaka, Feb 23 (bdnews24.com)—An accused in the Agartala Conspiracy Case, deputy speaker Shawkat Ali, has told parliament that the charges brought against the accused were not false.

Ali, at the end of a point of order in Wednesday's session, said, "The charges against us read out on the first day of hearing in the case were absolutely right."

"We formed a Sangram Parishad led by Bangabandhu to free East Pakistan through armed protest," he said.

During the point of order session, senior Awami League leader Tofail Ahmed recounted the days before and after the withdrawal of the case on Feb 22, 1969.

He said that the country would not be independent if the case was not filed. "It was not a fake case."

Addressing the deputy speaker, he said, "You planned to liberate the country."

Earlier in a discussion organised at Dhaka University's Senate Bhaban marking the Agartala Case Withdrawal Day, Tofail said the accused in the Agartala case had actually laid the foundation of the country's independence.

Agartala Conspiracy Case was a sedition case filed by the Pakistan government against Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, leader of the then East Pakistan Awami League, and 34 others.

Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS)

DHAKA, Feb 23, 2013 (BSS) - Jatiya Sangsad (JS) Deputy Speaker Shawkat Ali today called for writing the right information in textbooks about the historic Agartala conspiracy case. Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman used to practise politics in the democratic way, but he did not reject arms struggle for the country, he said speaking at a discussion meeting at Bijoy Ketan Museum at Dhaka cantonment marking the 44th anniversary of release of the accused persons in Agartala conspiracy case. It should be written in the textbooks that a group of Bangalees had planned to liberate the country through armed struggle before the independence achieved on December 16, 1971, he said. The deputy speaker said the Agartala conspiracy case was dubbed as a false case as part of a strategy at that time, but actually it was not false. A body of the accused in Agartala conspiracy case organized the discussion meeting with M Abdul Ahad in the chair, said a press release. Accused in the case Col (Retd) Shamsul Alam, Flight Sergeant (Retd) Abdul Jalil, Flight Sergeant (Retd) Mahfuzul Bari and family members of some accused spoke at the meeting. Tofail Ahmed, MP, language movement veteran Col (Retd) SD Ahmed, journalist Abed Khan, Deputy Speaker's spouse Majeda Shawkat Ali addressed the meeting. The speakers expressed solidarity with the protesters at Shahbagh and demanded quick completion of war crimes trials.

No one gave Mujib or other Awami League leaders the right to work with Indian intelligence and plan an armed rebellion in 1967 to engineer a secession to create Bangladesh, it is called treason, which the Agartala case was about. Read more in this post:
No one gave them the right to do the same in 1971 after winning election in 1970 either, but they went ahead and did it anyways, while Indian intelligence egged them on.

What happened in 1971 civil war is not relevant to this discussion as it is limited to Agartala case and its significance.

All valid points you have mentioned, what ever we would have done between East and West Pakistan, how we would have solved it, it was our and only our affair, not for outsiders to interfere. I just wished that India did not put its hand in it using our "useful idiots". That is my central point. And these "useful idiots" are still with us (Awami League) and harming our national interest.

I don't get you dude, how is it 'treason'? That is a term specific to the law of some country. The day Bangladesh became independent, all your leaders actions under pakistan's laws become irrelevant- including their past actions and the only thing that counts is if the people of bangladesh look at it that way. Can the british say today that washington commited treason? Before independence, yes- after independence that term is dropped against him for good.

I don't get you dude, how is it 'treason'? That is a term specific to the law of some country. The day Bangladesh became independent, all your leaders actions under pakistan's laws become irrelevant- including their past actions and the only thing that counts is if the people of bangladesh look at it that way. Can the british say today that washington commited treason? Before independence, yes- after independence that term is dropped against him for good.

The two situation is not analogous. Mujib was no George Washington. May be Ziaur Rahman was more similar, who declared independence and fought.

Well, the Agartala Conspiracy indeed really did happen. There is no question about that.

The question is, why was Mujib along with his compatriots set free? Strange as it may seem.

I guess Hasina has now shut her big mouth regarding the issue. Honestly, I respect Mujib for speaking out for the rights of Bengalis. But the man really went overkill. And a delusional one at that. We still see that today.

Some powerful folks simply refuse to take responsibility for history.

i seriously am confused. Were'nt they the same people who gave you your independence? So they thought they could use armed rebellion? Why would that be a problem? You got your end objective right?

i seriously am confused. Were'nt they the same people who gave you your independence? So they thought they could use armed rebellion? Why would that be a problem? You got your end objective right?

Actually it is India that got its end objective, but we have been left holding the bag since our mistake in 1947.

Actually it is India that got its end objective, but we have been left holding the bag since our mistake in 1947.

Bangladesh is a 'Country' not a 'bag'. Maybe it's time you gave it more respect than what you're giving it. I'd never bring down any person in my country who has even peripheral roles in it's independence.

what mistake???

I consider 1947 partition decision by then Muslim League leaders a mistake that cannot be reversed.

Bangladesh is a 'Country' not a 'bag'. Maybe it's time you gave it more respect than what you're giving it. I'd never bring down any person in my country who has even peripheral roles in it's independence.

And you are trying to teach me about something, a person you have never met or know nothing about, just based on a few posts and words you have seen? And then I wonder why people find a good portion of the Indian posters strange and delusional.

I consider 1947 partition decision by then Muslim League leaders a mistake that cannot be reversed.

And you are trying to teach me about something, a person you have never met or know nothing about, just based on a few posts and words you have seen? And then I wonder why people find a good portion of the Indian posters strange and delusional.

I'm only reacting to what I'm hearing dude. Some things we'll never say about our country- even for debate. It's the kind of gospel we never touch. Coz those historic events are too big and rare- the important thing is they finally happened, not that they happened this way or that way.

I'm only reacting to what I'm hearing dude. Some things we'll never say about our country- even for debate. It's the kind of gospel we never touch. Coz those historic events are too big and rare- the important thing is they finally happened, not that they happened this way or that way.

History becomes a victim of propaganda and politics. It is our responsibility as human beings to find the facts and set history straight. Why is it important, because nations, just like people stumble and fall and make mistakes. In order to learn from these mistakes we need to know history as close to the facts on the ground as possible. A nation and people that does not know its own correct history, is bound to make the same mistakes twice.

History becomes a victim of propaganda and politics. It is our responsibility as human beings to find the facts and set history straight. Why is it important, because nations, just like people stumble and fall and make mistakes. In order to learn from these mistakes we need to know history as close to the facts on the ground as possible. A nation and people that does not know its own correct history, is bound to make the same mistakes twice.

Ehhhh...on one hand my interpretation of the 'mistake' comment you made is that you would have preferred a united bengal (E+W)- I'm not clear how the conspiracy had any kind of relationship to that political dream. In any case creation of a united bengal was one of many historic possibilities- not the only one, and each of these is a rare histoic event in itself. You can't really feel too bad that your preferred option didn't work out- that's like living in regret coz you weren't born to bill gates and inherit a fortune. On the other hand an equally rare historic event- independent land of bangladesh did happen, so maybe you're just as well off. In any case INDIAN bengalis don;t have any regrets about not being a part of your proposed union so the whole issue is pointless anyway.

Ehhhh...on one hand my interpretation of the 'mistake' comment you made is that you would have preferred a united bengal (E+W)- I'm not clear how the conspiracy had any kind of relationship to that political dream. In any case creation of a united bengal was one of many historic possibilities- not the only one, and each of these is a rare histoic event in itself. You can't really feel too bad that your preferred option didn't work out- that's like living in regret coz you weren't born to bill gates and inherit a fortune. On the other hand an equally rare historic event- independent land of bangladesh did happen, so maybe you're just as well off. In any case INDIAN bengalis don;t have any regrets about not being a part of your proposed union so the whole issue is pointless anyway.

Not sure where you found the united bengal bit, I never said such things in any of my posts. What I said is that I consider 1947 partition a mistake. This was not about united Bengal.

As for the comment about me not being born to Bill Gates, not sure what was the point of this comment, but if you meant I should be sorry about my country, well, we will do what we can to change our destiny, please do not worry about our future and fate.

Not sure where you found the united bengal bit, I never said such things in any of my posts. What I said is that I consider 1947 partition a mistake. This was not about united Bengal.

As for the comment about me not being born to Bill Gates, not sure what was the point of this comment, but if you meant I should be sorry about my country, well, we will do what we can to change our destiny, please do not worry about our future and fate.

I'm wondering if I'm misreading your posts or if you're misreading mine. maybe we shouldn't debate because clearly something is wrong here.

Back
Top Bottom