What's new

Aga Khan on Arabic as National Language of Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learning the language as others said would be a very good idea becuase we read the Quran by learning how to read arabic but we do not understand it.

I have to read the Quran in english to understand it when in reality I should understand it the first time I read it.

As for national language, No.

If all muslims belong to one nation , then they should have national language ?

Those who are saying nay to this issue need to realize that teaching arabic has a long term positive impact on the issue of militancy and talibanization in the country.

Currently, Pakistan is afflicted by a situation which is well described by the urdu proverb "Neem hakeem khatra-e-jaan, neem mullah, khatra-e-imaan".

There are many semi or half literate mullahs running around in madrassas and masajids who may be huffaz or know part of the Quran, but they are neither scholars nor those who can study this religion of ours. With most of the Islamic history still confined to pages of arabic literature, our rural population remains vulnerable to the fancies of these neem mullahs who have been appointed imams on the basis of their beautiful qirat (recitation) or for some other reasons but are themselves susceptible to extremist/takfiri ideology.

If Arabic is offered early on as part of a national curriculum along with Urdu and other regional languages, it will help. However the curriculum has to be more serious.

It is quite interesting that nobody knows anything about how life was in the times of the height of the Islamic culture. What the cultural issues were, what the social issues were, either we get a blanket sweep of "everything was fine" or just the issues from the standpoint of Islamic jurisprudence. Yet there are arabic texts that for an example, talk about the way the beggars lived in the streets of Baghdad and many other cultural and social issues that are only available to those who have an interests and are current with classic (fusha) Arabic. The rest of us have been deprived of this opportunity to read up on the past because we are Arabic illiterate.

Last edited:
I agree. Urdu should remain our identity along with other provincial languages, however learning Arabic from early on not only eases the religious understanding but from an economic standpoint, it also would make the Pakistani workforce more marketable in the middle east. Quite a few misunderstandings are as a result of getting "lost in translation".

Is there no translated version of Quran? Will it not be easier?

Those who are saying nay to this issue need to realize that teaching arabic has a long term positive impact on the issue of militancy and talibanization in the country.

Currently, Pakistan is afflicted by a situation which is well described by the urdu proverb "Neem hakeem khatra-e-jaan, neem mullah, khatra-e-imaan".

There are many semi or half literate mullahs running around in madrassas and masajids who may be huffaz or know part of the Quran, but they are neither scholars nor those who can study this religion of ours. With most of the Islamic history still confined to pages of arabic literature, our rural population remains vulnerable to the fancies of these need mullahs who have been appointed imams on the basis of their beautiful qirat (recitation) or for some other reasons.

If Arabic is offered early on as part of a national curriculum along with Urdu and other regional languages, it will help. However the curriculum has to be more serious.

It is quite interesting that nobody knows anything about how life was in the times of the height of the Islamic culture. What the cultural issues were, what the social issues were, either we get a blanket sweep of "everything was fine" or just the issues from the standpoint of Islamic jurisprudence. Yet there are arabic texts that for an example, talk about the way the beggars lived in the streets of Baghdad and many other cultural and social issues that are only available to those who have an interests and are current with classic (fusha) Arabic. The rest of us have been deprived of this opportunity to read up on the past because we are Arabic illiterate.

Agreed , I think Arabic language is high level language than English and Urdu ,basically Urdu is mixture of Arabic Persian and local Hindi language.

Is there no translated version of Quran? Will it not be easier?

There is translation of Quran in every language. The first ever time it was translated, was from arabic into Farsi during the time of Amir Ismail Samani the king of khorasan.

There are many semi or half literate mullahs running around in madrassas and masajids who may be huffaz or know part of the Quran, but they are neither scholars nor those who can study this religion of ours. With most of the Islamic history still confined to pages of arabic literature, our rural population remains vulnerable to the fancies of these need mullahs who have been appointed imams on the basis of their beautiful qirat (recitation) or for some other reasons.

Arabic is taught in Islamic studies upto the matriculation level, however the methods of teaching it are far from appropriate and usually the effect is negligible.
What I do believe is that it be made compulsory to learn arabic till intermediate(unless you are not a muslim). So that future generations are better able to contradict those Mullah's passing tall laws based on "Quran mein likha hai"

We all muslims belong to one nation , so it is important to have one national language , it will help to creat unity all muslims of world .

Well Said Iqbal

"Aik hu muslim Haram ki pasbani ka liya"

It is shamefull that world muslim population is 1.5 Billion still they dont have any voice in family of nation because they are divided in languages ,countries and races( Arab and Non Arab).

In my humble opinion, in the Quran, we have been told by the Creator that man has been created in tribes etc. Differences in culture, language etc. are all fine and Muslims are no exception to this. These differences should be accepted and not lamented over by suggesting we need to have one common language that should be forced on everyone.

But Muslims do not belong to one nation, many nations have Muslims but they differ on many aspects and they would never unite as one nation.

Muslims just like one body( one nation).Please read last Kutbah of our Prophet PBUH.

Always nation have same faith(Religion) and have same mission of life.

In fact, After WW2 muslims were divided into different nations ( Arab and Non Arab) based on their language and race by British .Please try to understand the divide and rule.

Muslims they are just one body( one nation).Please read last Kutbah of our Prophet PBUH.

Always nation have same faith(Religion) and have same mission of life.

In fact, After WW2 muslims were divided into different nations ( Arab and Non Arab) based on their language and race by British .Please try to understand the divide and rule.

I know of the Farewell Sermon but you have to understand that Muslims are not a part of one body anymore. There are various sects within Islam and Muslims are spread throughout different nations.

Even before WW2, not all Muslims were under one nation. Though there was a Caliphate and it was extended to many parts, it did not include all nations that had substantial amount of Muslims.

You might also want to mention about how the Saudi's assisted the Brtish in breaking up the Ottoman empire.

We were taught Sarf and Nahwa at school. We used to memorize it badly, but didnt have a clue what it meant. i still remember some of them, Zaraba, Zarabaa, Zaraboo, Zarabat, Zarabata, Zarabna etc. i dont know what they are.

There is translation of Quran in every language. The first ever time it was translated, was from arabic into Farsi during the time of Amir Ismail Samani the king of khorasan.

Yet Islam is not just the Quran. There are hundreds of thousands of texts that have not been touched by or translated for those who do not read or speak Arabic. Some of these texts may not even be dealing with Islam only, maybe the way the social and cultural issues were dealt with by the Muslims of the time. All of these texts should be explored just as one would if one were interested in the Spanish culture or Latin culture etc. etc. This would enrich the Muslims of the day, help them deal with the issues they are faced with today. Its a literary exercise but one that we should engage in en-mass just as we do with our own culture.

In my humble opinion, in the Quran, we have been told by the Creator that man has been created in tribes etc. Differences in culture, language etc. are all fine and Muslims are no exception to this. These differences should be accepted and not lamented over by suggesting we need to have one common language that should be forced on everyone.

My point is that if we accepted Islam as our religion and way of life why not Arabic language should be adopted as national language.Pakistan was created in the name of Islam , language of Quran is Arabic , we have to give Arabic national language status for unity of Pakistan .Urdu is not language of any province of Pakistan , it was developed in India as common language for communication of all Indians.

I am surprise by elective language in not enforced in other proviences like it is in Sindh. It will greatly ease inter provience tensions.

My point is that if we accepted Islam as our religion and way of life why not Arabic language should be adopted as national language.Pakistan was created in the name of Islam , language of Quran is Arabic , we have to give Arabic national language status for unity of Pakistan .Urdu is not language of any province of Pakistan , it was developed in India as common language for communication of all Indians.
And also our largest man power export market in Middle east we should atleast offer arabic as an option. But replacing urdu by arabic is not a sensible option. How will you re-learn 170 million people?? we will fall alien in our own geography. There are so many dialects of Arabic which one are we going to adopt?

we should take pride in our language which helps us pronounce forigen words with perfect phonetics. Do we want to speak english in an indian telesales rep accents and call our home country "Bakistan"?? And have no "chey" for our infamous tea?

Last edited:
U guys have four different indigenous languages in Urdu,Sindhi,Balochi and Pashto....

If there is a national language it should be among these 4..not an alien language..

p.s.: I as an Indian is not required to post these..but just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom