What's new

After 10 years as PM, Manmohan Singh's legacy to go down like Narasimha Rao?

sudhir007

Reaction score
After 10 years as PM, Manmohan Singh's legacy to go down like Narasimha Rao? - The Economic Times

He probably has less than three months in his job, and he's all but forgotten, despite holding the job for 10 years, in the great cacophonous conversation that's Indian election. But this near-irrelevancy in current public discourse notwithstanding, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his PMO are busy—busy with government work and busy wondering whether post-PM days will herald events worse than unflattering assessments.

"Will his legacy go down as that of Narasimha Rao... will he be targeted by a new government in telecom and coal cases," a senior PMO official wondered, reflecting worries of his boss and his loyal core team.

ET spoke to senior officials at the Prime Minister's Office (PMO), his close confidants and Congress politicians over the last few weeks to get a sense of Singh's plans, his final days in office, his fears and his best and worst moments. They all spoke on condition of anonymity and most of them defended Singh, who has been attacked for being indecisive and for meekly accepting humiliation that's been meted out to him by friend and foe alike.

So, how will the narrative on Singh's decade be shaped? His defenders say he's an honourable man who's been unfairly maligned.

Vendetta Politics

For Singh, one of the main concerns is whether a vengeful government could come after him over coal block or spectrum allocation. Preserving his scrupulously clean image is important to him. "I have done nothing wrong, I want to go as an honourable man," the PM is believed to have told one of his confidants at a meeting last month at which top officials, including principal secretary Pulok Chatterji, were present.

Elsewhere, he has said: "I have served the country with utmost dedication and integrity. I have never used my office to enrich my friends or relatives." The confidant cited above said: "The PM thinks he will be targeted if Narendra Modi becomes Prime Minister. He has asked his legal team to look at cases like 2G and the coal scam, where his name figured. He is worried, withdrawn and dejected. He is worried things might end up like what happened with Narasimha Rao," who also had to deal with the fallout of corruption scandals after his term ended.

Moves to prosecute Singh could put paid to any plans he may have of mentoring Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi, teaching at Cambridge (from where he has a standing invitation) or quietly settling down at 3, Moti Lal Nehru Marg. Some in the PMO felt that the party had not adequately defended him, while another official said Singh won't try to dodge any bullets. "The PM is responsible for decisions taken during his tenure and will not shift blame," this person said. Singh has always maintained that, "I am not above the law of the land. If there is anything that the CBI, or for that matter, anybody wants to ask, I have nothing to hide."

Still, the 81-year-old prime minister hasn't allowed these worries to slow him down. On the contrary, he's been working harder than ever with just a few months to go. The number of his daily meetings doubled and he cleared 300 projects worth about Rs 6.6 lakh crore in a year just before the code of conduct came into effect.
A PMO official said Singh was always a hard worker, clearing more than 300 files every month. When Parliament was in session he would meet more than 10 MPs every day. With such a busy schedule, Singh had little time to call his own. As for writing his memoir, "I have not thought about it, I don't need any personal publicity," the PM is believed to have told one of his officials.

Among other things, the PMO pushed hard towards the end for the Rs 5,000-crore 'Har Haath Mein Phone' scheme to give mobile phones to families living below the poverty line but this was derailed by last-minute glitches. But Singh will continue to be occupied in the remaining days.

Before his term ends, he plans to spend a day on board the INS Vikramaditya, the Russian-built aircraft carrier that's just joined the fleet of the Indian Navy. He will also be campaigning "aggressively" in the run-up to the elections at the request of the party. He will address six-eight meetings and visit the Northeast, the south and Punjab, a PMO official said.

And, he's engaged with poll strategy as well. A PMO official has conveyed suggestions to Congress media managers about how to tackle Bharatiya Janata Party prime ministerial candidate Modi. "Take him on politically, the way (finance minister) P Chidambaram handles it. Counter him on facts and figures, otherwise it will prove to be counter-productive," a PMO official said, citing the advice that was given.

As for PM's key advisors, "none of them is interested in a post-retirement job or gubernatorial assignment," the person said.

His defenders say he's an honourable man who's been unfairly maligned.

another official said Singh won't try to dodge any bullets. "The PM is responsible for decisions taken during his tenure and will not shift blame," this person said. Singh has always maintained that, "I am not above the law of the land. If there is anything that the CBI, or for that matter, anybody wants to ask, I have nothing to hide."
Still, the 81-year-old prime minister hasn't allowed these worries to slow him down. On the contrary, he's been working harder than ever with just a few months to go. The number of his daily meetings doubled and he cleared 300 projects worth about Rs 6.6 lakh crore in a year just before the code of conduct came into effect.
A PMO official said Singh was always a hard worker, clearing more than 300 files every month. When Parliament was in session he would meet more than 10 MPs every day. With such a busy schedule, Singh had little time to call his own. As for writing his memoir, "I have not thought about it, I don't need any personal publicity," the PM is believed to have told one of his officials.

But this near-irrelevancy in current public discourse notwithstanding, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his PMO are busy—busy with government work
The reasons I have always liked this man- has integrity, class and goes about his business in a quiet and dignified manner- working harder than most of us do now, for him in his late 70s it's nothing short of spectacular.

Perhaps, he isn't and never was cut out for Indian politics but that does't mean he is a bad guy or has any reason to be personally attacked.

If leader of a nation gets good name for good work . . he will have to face criticism for bad work too.

its a two sided sword.

:-)
Indeed, but I think personal attacks are a bit low, at his work and what not but not on a personal level-name calling and the such.

Thief always be fair about his past sin..may be he is now more busy to remove all the file that can go against him..I hate this man as my PM..Kick him back..Stupid PM..

The reasons I have always liked this man- has integrity, class and goes about his business in a quiet and dignified manner- working harder than most of us do now, for him in his late 70s it's nothing short of spectacular.

He is all of this, and Im sure he loves the nation, but he was nothing but a puppet.

Perhaps, he isn't and never was cut out for Indian politics but that does't mean he is a bad guy or has any reason to be personally attacked.
he was never a pm material, good finance minister is how he will be remembered. PM commands respect for most of his tenure that person was sonia gandhi.
I would have preferred sonia as pm and him as FM.

His silence on corruption within his own government is perhaps the only significant drawback during his tenure as the PM. Right of you guys to say, he never was politics material.

Vajpayee as PM and him as the FM would have done India good.

PVN Rao was one of the best PM Congress ever had, and MMS was barely in charge of things, he was a good economist, not a leadership material, that's how he will be remembered.

People give too much credit to MMS for the reforms in 1990's but it was not his idea but of PVN Rao's who saw how our protectionist policies has drained the exchequer and we were in verge of collapse.

PVN Rao was one of the best PM Congress ever had, and MMS was barely in charge of things, he was a good economist, not a leadership material, that's how he will be remembered.

as a PM MMS has failed country ....that is his legacy ...

He was good FM but Poor PM ....and his Poor record as PM waters down all his achievement as FM .

He took Indian economy to almost 1992 levels that puts big Zero on his achievement ....

He wasted 10 precious years of 21'st century which could have changed fate of nation .

People give too much credit to MMS for the reforms in 1990's but it was not his idea but of PVN Rao's who saw how our protectionist policies has drained the exchequer and we were in verge of collapse.

all credits to man at the helm at the time ....who has been denied his due by congress !

without PM's help and protection MMS could have done nothing ...

He is all of this, and Im sure he loves the nation, but he was nothing but a puppet.

He loves the nation sure ...but he tried to destroy the democratic institutions which are pillars of our nation at behest of his keeper-masters in Congress ....

while his minsters attacked and undermined CVC,CAG,CBI ...he kept quite and watched in silence ....

Pathetic PM he was ....

I would rate Devegowda better than him ....

Most pathetic PM India has ever seen (may be one notch above Deve Gowda)

Back
Top Bottom