What's new

Afridi shuns Bangladesh league for Pakistan duty

Xestan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Afridi shuns Bangladesh league for Pakistan duty

324179-Afridiphotoafp-1326993705-564-640x480.jpg

Shahid Afridi also decided to miss the opening stages of the South African domestic Twenty20 tournament due to national commitments. PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI: A sense of national duty prevailed over money as flamboyant all-rounder Shahid Afridi, after hitting the jackpot at the auction for the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), confirmed that he will miss the Twenty20 tournament and instead turn out for Pakistan against England.

Afridi was sold to the Dhaka franchise for $700,000 – the highest bid for any player in the auction – and would have featured in the tournament to be played from February 9 to 28. However, Afridi, the first choice for all the bidders, expressed his unavailability for the Bangladesh league.

‘I won’t take part in the BPL,” Afridi told The Express Tribune from Australia where the all-rounder is taking part in the Big Bash League.

“It’s clashing with the limited-overs series against England in the UAE and that’s my focus. My preference has always been my national team and I’m looking forward to giving my best against England.”

The experienced cricketer, however, felt honoured to have been sold for the highest amount, adding that he was ‘happy that I’ve been chosen above many famed cricketers’.

Afridi also confirmed that he will not be taking pat in the earlier matches which do not clash with Pakistan’s schedule.

“I’ll utilise those days for training. I can only think about playing in the league when I don’t have national commitments.”

Earlier, the all-rounder also expressed his unavailability for the opening stages of the South Africa domestic Twenty20 competition.

Saeed Ajmal ($100,000), Rana Naved ($100,000) and Imran Nazir ($85,000) were also bought by Dhaka Gladiators. West Indians Chris Gayle and Kieron Pollard, and Pakistan all-rounder Shoaib Malik ($150,000) were among the other foreign players sold in the auction.

Player Sold for

Shahid Afridi $700,000
Shoaib Malik $150,000
Saeed Ajmal $100,000
Rana Naved $100,000
Sohail Tanvir $100,000
Kamran Akmal $100,000
Abdul Razzaq $100,000
Imran Nazir $85,000
Mohammad Sami $70,000
Fawad Alam $45,000
Qaiser Abbas $25,000
Faisal Iqbal $25,000

Published in The Express Tribune, January 20th, 2012.

This is Good decision by Afridi. Whole Nation love him. He prefers National duty over Money. There is nothing important than the Respect and popularity. Afridi knows very well. We appreciate His decision and waiting to see him against England ODI series. We Love you afridi. You are real Honest Man.

I think some of the Indian plyers should pick a leaf from Afradi's book.

well thats called reall legend he knows what is more important....

wese i wonder why saeed ajmal only for 100000$ i mean currently he is #1 bowler in the world plus how would he manage to play in bangladesh cz he is also a part of the national team against england.

am sure england players are praying tht ajmal will play in bangladesh not for Pakistan:D

I think Afridi wanted more money.....that price did not satisfy him.....so he opted out

& he will get more if he play for Pakistan cz this country will lead him to more success & he than, can get more money in future....

Just 100000$$ for ajmal. That is a disgrace to the legend. :hitwall:
i think BPL is small league but they are doing their best to come up with this...We should have to give some time to them ,after all money from all of the cricket world have been theft by BCCI already

Back
Top Bottom