What's new

‘Afraid of US’: Turkey slams ‘weak’ response of some Arab countries to Trump’s Jerusalem move

I make a funny face for a pic. Guess you are internal dead already so you dont know how to be funny.

There is no need to be funny, we already have a clown :omghaha:

I find it amusing. I say i disliked my visit in Turkey and for that get insulted. What you want?

You said it smells in Turkey, you're just a personally insecure racist.

I'm tuscan. I look like evryone around me.

You look half fillipino and half romanian gypsy, I googled Tuscan and they are white not brown like you =

prato-tuscany-italy-italian-men-old-man-square-AHKW20.jpg

By the way Tuscany look so beautiful and green =

Tuscany.jpg

Will visit some day.

Turkey already has a consulate in East Jerusalem. Erdogan can easily give the order to turn that into an Embassy. He's all bluster.

People keep comming up to me and speak either Spanish or Italian. No comprende, infidel. :-)

Back on topic.

Anywhere in the middle east where there is a sensitive political situation and you see all talk and no action, you will see arabs there. Anywhere there is action but little talk you will see Iranians there.
If arabs had taken the rightful leadership steps, iran and Turkey would have had little space to maneuvre, but since they havent. Iran has gone for the kill and is almost here, and Turkey realized, shiiit...i cant let Iran get this win, let me jump in too. Arabs havent done anything concrete against Israel for a few decades now. thats facts. they give "palestinians"aid and brotherly acknowledgement, but cant stop Israeli settlements or reduce harm on them from Israeli attacks so wth are they really doing for Palestinians? not much really.

...I have come across statement by Israeli's that have prodded my inteligence. Top of the list is the use of the word "terrorism". This word is abused, kicked, prostituted...Names like Menachem Begin, Irugun, Hagannah should ring a bell. And King David Hotel should sound off a a loud "bang" no pun intended.
Note that the example you cite does NOT support your arguments: in the King David Hotel attack the British military was the target, not civilians - which means it was a guerrilla operation, not terrorism - and fatalities could have been avoided had the Brits evacuated the hotel when they were told - repeatedly - about the bomb. The hotel lost its "protected" civilian status in international law when the British military moved in. Nevertheless, it was an avoidable tragedy. Today the partial military use of a civilian hotel would be labeled illegal in international law, as in effect it used civilians as involuntary human shields.

Furthermore, you had to go back seventy years to find this faulty example of "terrorism" by Zionists whereas to find examples of terrorism targeting Israelis by anti-Zionists you don't even have to go back a day!

Really, mein Kaptaan, don't you think you are using your intellect to avoid making "the Palestininians the bad guys", as you put it? A belief inculcated into you by your culture but not sustainable by law or fact?

At what point will you accept that Arabs murdering Jews for fun, profit, conquest, etc. is a crime that you have to not just denounce but actively prosecute?

So the logic is Judaism was born in Palestine and hence Jews have a right to all of Palestine. Well going by that logic Zoroastrians should take back Iran and kick all the Muslims out, it was the birthplace of Zoroastrianism after all. And more so because they moved out of Iran because of the Muslim invasion, unlike the Jews who were ousted from Palestine centuries before the Arabs conquered the Palestine.

Buddhists should get hold of India btw, the birthplace of their religion.

If you are referring to the land as the birthplace of a group of people called Jew, then Cherokee, Shawnee and Huron should get most of the North American east coast, the birthplace of their people. Most British with Saxon blood should go to Germany and demand their share. Hell these are all historical events that are much more recent than the Jewish ousting from Palestine.

You can't build a case on the logic that because this group of people were living here 2000 years ago they have a right to the land. What about the right of the people that have been living there for the past hundreds of years?

Its not just a matter of Muslim or Non-Muslim, whether Jerusalem is holy place or not, its an issue of basic human rights. You can't just uproot communities living their for hundreds of years based on your religious scriptures. .

Bravo! You are absolutely correct and that's just about sums it up. The biggest problem for the Israelis is that they feel superior---probably racially--to the people living around them. They call themselves 'the outpost of the West' in the Middle East. That attitude, because many of them bred with the Europeans and adopted European values, entitles them to a Holier than Thou attitude. And, in the long term, they WILL pay a price unless a course correction is made. History's march is not going to stop in 2017. It never does. The Conquerors and the Vanquished continue to change hands. Even now, IF the idiots in KSA and Iran join hands with Turkey, Russia and China for a common-cause, built around the Palestinian cause, it is GAME OVER for Israel's expansionism and for their VERY SCARY evangelical supporters in America.

Right now, from the white supremacist websites to the liberal NY Times, most Americans are outraged by America's self-destructive moves, driven by a cabal of blackmailers via a Lobby. Here is a related 'Comment' about what I am saying on NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

"
Patrick
Nyc 16 minutes ago

Once again the United states has chosen to side with Zionist jews.

When will the American people understand that helping and siding with Israel instead of being impartial is unfair and unjust. That kind of injustice will only have a negative effect for the United States. Insurgent and terrorist groups are very satisfied with this approach since it validates their stand. If we however would abandoned Israel as they undeniably deserve it we would have better relations with the entire world. I say Israel deserves to be abandoned because of all their human rights abuses against Palestine and their crimes against humanity. It is hard to comprehend that people who went through something like the Holocaust would behave in such unjust manner as they do. They claim Jerusalem as theirs when it is not, they claim Palestinian territory as theirs and stole it from them. I mean would you accept someone coming to your house one day saying "sorry you got to move out, our ancestors lived here before therefore this is ours" No! this is such an abuse of power. Israel therefore deserves any calamities that will come to them. It is simply called cause and effect, it is the way the Universe works.

Before its too late I hope the US will change its current course, otherwise we will have to endure the same calamities coming to Israel."

besa-logo-horizontal.png

Assessing the Islamic World’s Ho-Hum Response to Trump’s Jerusalem Declaration
By Prof. Hillel Frisch
December 28, 2017

Jerusalem-photo-via-Pixabay-300x215.jpg

Jerusalem, photo via Pixabay

BESA Center Perspectives Paper No. 700, December 28, 2017

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Arab and western leaders alike responded to President Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital with dire warnings of imminent uproar. That uproar didn’t materialize, probably because the Islamic world is too mired in its own domestic problems to mobilize over Jerusalem.

Ominous warnings about Arab fury characterized the reactions of most Arab and western leaders to President Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, despite Trump’s clear statement that the decision in no way jeopardizes final status talks over Jerusalem between Israel and the Palestinians.

The Arab League, which is composed of 22 mostly Arabic-speaking states, warned that the announcement “deepens tension, ignites anger, and threatens to plunge the region into more violence and chaos.” Hamas was even more graphic: Trump’s decision, the movement assured, “opens the gates of hell.”

According to Riyad Mansour, the ambassador and permanent observer of Palestine at the UN, the decision heightened tensions and risks “the complete destabilization of this volatile situation.”

The Israeli authorities braced for a possible conflagration by announcing the dispatch of several battalions to the West Bank to augment the forces already in the area.

So what happened?

By far the largest and most persistent demonstrations took place in Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia.

At first glance, the fact that a Muslim population on the other side of the globe staged the largest demonstrations appears to confirm that the new media have turned the Islamic world, if not the whole world, into a global village. It should be recalled, however, that many thousands, rather than the mere hundreds who demonstrated in 2017, did so half a century earlier on the eve of the Six-Day War, calling for Israel’s destruction.

Demonstrations, again in the hundreds to the few thousands judging from the photos, also took place in Amman, London, and Paris. In each case, the numbers who showed up comprised only tiny percentages of the cities’ Muslim populations. Hundreds appear to have demonstrated in Times Square, though from the photos and videos, the total seems to have been not much more than two hundred. And their chants, it is worthwhile to note, did not address either Jerusalem or Trump. What they were chanting was “Free, free Palestine from the river to the sea.”

Striking was the absence of almost any protests at all in Cairo, Riyadh, and the Gulf states.

All told, the few thousand Muslims who protested Trump’s declaration worldwide were an infinitesimal fraction of a religious community that numbers more than one billion.

Ironically, one of the capitals to see very little protest was Jerusalem. Though Jerusalem is populated by over 250,000 Muslims, the protestors could be counted in the dozens. The Lebanese media outlet, The Star, whose stance on Israel is rabidly condemnatory, had to make do with a photo on its front page with fewer than fifty protestors in the frame.

To be sure, in the southern outskirts of Ramallah facing the Qalandia checkpoint, there were not only more protestors, but they were far more violent. Yet that was to be expected. The PA had encouraged violence, and many of the protestors, one can safely assume, were being paid for their efforts by Fatah, the movement led by Mahmoud Abbas, president of the PA. This initiative is perhaps reflected in the fact that whereas the protests in Jerusalem were attended by both sexes and all ages, the protestors at Qalandia were mostly, if not all, young males.

In neither case did the demonstrations represent much deviation from the norm, and both varieties were smaller than the average protests that take place in the Jerusalem area. They were far less intense, for example, than the protests that broke out in July over the Israeli decision to place electronic monitors at the entrance to the Temple Mount following the killing of two Israeli border policemen by assailants who began their attack from the Temple Mount.

Only along the security fence with Gaza did the protests turn lethal. Again, the numbers of protestors were small and those killed even smaller. This is not surprising. The protestors knew beforehand that broaching the border fence might have lethal consequences, and the Israeli troops manning the fence were aware of the possibility that some of the protestors might be suicide bombers and that thousands might attempt to crash the fence. Israel had to establish deterrence to prevent these phenomena, both of which have taken place on numerous occasions in the past.

Why the dire forebodings come to nothing?

The answer must be preceded by acknowledging that after at least half a century of studying why people rebel, no one knows exactly why political tumult erupts. As Hanna Arendt, the famous scholar of revolution, pointed out, most professional revolutionaries – those who strive throughout their lives to create a political eruption – are usually as surprised as everyone else when it actually breaks out.

In this particular instance, an attempt to explain the relative lack of popular reaction to Trump’s decision must distinguish between the publics outside Israel and the PA and those within. In the Muslim world, the burdens of so many problems and political conflicts close to home might partially explain the lack of interest in the Jerusalem question. Following that logic, the fact that protests did take place in distant Jakarta might reflect the relative peace and prosperity prevailing there.

That so little took place in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza might be explained by a similar fatigue, but also by other factors. One is the dampening effect of the two rival forces, the PA and Hamas, both of which urge ordinary Palestinians to take risks without committing their bureaucracies and security forces to join the fray. In the PA, there is also a dearth of organizers who can get protestors to the scene and assure both the replenishment of the ranks and the continuity of violence.

Finally, the protestors face an innovative Israeli force. One of its innovations is to abstain from confronting the protestors, but rather to contain them, identify them through a variety of methods, and apprehend them later. Knowing a price will be paid for violence acts as a deterrent from violently protesting in the first place.

View PDF

Prof. Hillel Frisch is a professor of political studies and Middle East studies at Bar-Ilan University and a senior research associate at the Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies.

BESA Center Perspectives Papers are published through the generosity of the Greg Rosshandler Family

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom