What's new

Afghan wants 150 Battle tanks and 1 Squadron of Attack choppers from India

I never got the point of that.

When I go to dawn newspaper. A lot of the Pakistanis are magnanimous in their replies.

Once in a while, I comment positively only if to return their positivity.

The commenters in the Hindu newspaper at least act like adults and string together sentences

compare the language in most of Indian newspapers even with that of a small English one from Pakistan you will see where decency is crossed surely at your end.

anyway back to tanks and jets :D when you are supplying

compare the language in most of Indian newspapers even with that of a small English one from Pakistan you will see where decency is crossed surely at your end.

India gives aid, no military weapons or military supplies. India wants to project its soft power.
Training and helping to rebuild Afghanistan are the priority, in case of emergency or crucial situation India may help ANA, but as of now I don't think India has any plans to supply military weapons. I don't think Afghanistan is in danger of overwhelmed by Taliban as of now .... :).

Last edited:

Late. As usual

great opportunity to pawn off the arjun !!!

:D we will make changes to it

India gives aid, no military weapons or military supplies. India wants to project its soft power.
Training and helping to rebuild Afghanistan are the priority, in case of emergency or crucial situation India may help ANA, but as of now I don't think India has any plans to supply military weapons. I don't think Afghanistan is in danger of overwhelmed by Taliban as of now .... :).

soft power has nothing to do with it but India knows these can fell into warring factions.

:D we will make changes to it
soft power has nothing to do with it but India knows these can fell into warring factions.

I don't think so, Taliban are good at Guerrilla fights not trained to take on fortified cities or do conventional battle ..... :).

I'm asking an open question, not making a case for transferring heavy equipment, but why should we care if pakistan decides to be b*tthurt if we transfer heavy equipment to Afghanistan, a sovereign nation?

Doesn't Pakistan buy heavy war machines from other countries and even sell nuclear technology to other countries without so much as publishing a white paper on it?

So the point I'm making is that our decision should be based on our own interests, NOT what an unreasonable junta ruled state like pakistan thinks.

The answer to your question is, you should not care and do what is best for your country. And response to your ignorant and false assumption is ' sigh '!

why do you think warring factions only include taliban

Because there is no chance for civil war in Afghanistan. democracy will work there. In 1990's there are warlords, But today you hardly see their influence. Majority are with democratic process.

The discussion has gone to far the very simple fact is afghanistan could not maintain C-27J or certain equipment, next to maintain Tanks and helicopters, they would need good enough budget for the time being it is being provided/contributed by US/NATO say for reason the budget is suspended afghanistan would have to ground everything non of you have highlighted that, currently afghanistan is depended on US heavily as US suffers economically I doubt by 2015 US would fund them enough to the point to operate major equipment.

Because there is no chance for civil war in Afghanistan. democracy will work there. In 1990's there are warlords, But today you hardly see their influence. Majority are with democratic process.
So India should supply the weapons

Afghan wants 150 Battle tanks and 1 Squadron of Attack choppers from India

t72-120-1l.jpg

Afghanistan few months ago had given a wish list of Military equipment which it wanted from India to face Taliban post American- NATO withdraws from Afghanistan post 2014; idrw.org had hinted that Afghanistan had requested Attack choppers but other request for equipment were never revealed until now.

According to latest media reports Afghanistan have requested 150 upgraded T-72 with its ammunitions and have also requested to hand over soon to be retired Mi-35 Hind attack choppers from Indian air force to them.

Idrw.org spoke to sources in Army and they have hinted that old T-72 in Army storage (war Reserve) can be overhauled and upgraded and can be handed over to Afghanistan if Indian government clears such request but he refused to provide further information. Indian army has 2000 fleet of T-72M and T-72M1 of which older ones are in war reserve , Few hundred have been upgraded with Better engine and Modern weaponry .

Other Requests includes one An-32 Medium Transport aircraft from current IAF fleet, 120 (105 mm) field guns along with large number of 82 mm mortar rounds. List also includes 2 Dozen Mil-17 transport helicopters.

Afghanistan have also requested Military Trucks and Military Grade jeeps, and Training for their men in handling these machines in India. It is likely that Government of India will clear request for Military trucks and Jeeps and even light arms and ammunition but there seems to be a divide weather to clear other Heavy War Machinery like Battle tanks and Field guns, Indian Military planners are in favor of transfers of Battle tanks and Field guns but Government is divided, they clearly don’t want to upset Pakistan.

Idrw.org spoke to Defense analyst who said that Afghans have prepared their wish list keeping in mind their need and Soviet equipment’s which India already possesses and can provide to them , Ball is clearly in India’s court now , and it will be interesting to see if Indian Government bites the Bullet and Provides Equipment’s to Afghans .

Link - Afghan wants 150 Battle tanks and 1 Squadron of Attack choppers from India | idrw.org

India must help our Afghan brothers on priority basis. If Indian govt is hesitant due to shortage of funds, then govt should start 'PM Afghan Support Fund' and we the common man will collect that required financial support for our Afghan brethren. Pakistan does not need to worry about it, a couple of mixed helicopter squadrons, a couple of hundred short range artillery pieces and couple of hundred tanks would not make any difference or power shift. But it will surely help Afghans to eradicate this terrorism menace in their country.

Back
Top Bottom