What's new

Aero scientists pull off LCA, struggle with IJT, Saras

bhagat

Reaction score
Aero scientists pull off LCA, struggle with IJT, Saras

BANGALORE: The crash of the Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT) has brought to light the complex situation the Indian aerospace community finds itself in. How is it that Indian aero-scientists and the IAF have been able to develop a highly complex aircraft and trainer in the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) to Initial Operational Clearance, without a single crash, but are struggling to develop an intermediate version of a military aircraft trainer, the IJT, and the first indigenous civil aircraft, Saras?

The IJT crash and NAL's indigenous Saras crash in March 2009, which killed three pilots, pose a serious challenge to the aerospace community in building an indigenous intermediate military trainer aircraft on the one hand, and an indigenous civil aircraft, on the other. In between, LCA has emerged as a beacon of hope.

IJT vs SARAS

While IJT is intended to help train pilots in the military domain, the Saras is a civil aircraft. Aero-scientists say technologies involving the two types of aircraft are different, as are the dimensions of flight, aerodynamics, play of engine power and manoeuvrability of the aircraft.

The Saras has been criticized for being woefully overweight and behind schedule. The Saras first flew in 2004, and the first prototype exceeded its empty-weight target by almost 25% (990kg). The original 850shp Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A pusher turboprops had to be replaced with 1,200shp versions in the second prototype. The NAL is now building a third Saras, with a targeted 500kg weight reduction.

PT3 is not expected to fly before year-end, pushing Indian certification of the Saras into 2012, and any design changes resulting from the crash would delay things further. India's Comptroller and Auditor General had strongly criticized NAL's performance last year, recommending the proposed development of a 70-seat regional transport craft be reviewed in the light of the difficulties with the Saras, and limited success of NAL's first design, the Hansa trainer, only 10 of which were built.

The IJT's first crash involved the canopy flying off, while the second involved a belly landing. Both crashes had broadly brought up airframe design issues with the stress on aero structures not in line with expectations. While different parameters work for the IJT and Saras, a common facet in both projects would be to ensure a compact, and as far as possible, stress-free airframe or one that can withstand pressure and loads at varying heights. Design is the foremost challenge both projects face now as they seem to be unable to withstand any manoeuvre or movement that is just a small deviation from the norm.

The IJT crash and NAL's indigenous Saras crash in March 2009, which killed three pilots, pose a serious challenge to the aerospace community in building an indigenous intermediate military trainer aircraft on the one hand, and an indigenous civil aircraft, on the other. In between, LCA has emerged as a beacon of hope.
Aero scientists pull off LCA, struggle with IJT, Saras - The Times of India

Man i like sitara its cute but hal should make sure no crash should take place in future

pathetic reporting by times of india. the author of article ought to know that each development plan has its own set of problems. Jus because we dint have any crash on LCA ac (touch wood) it doesnt mean any other programme will not suffer setbacks in terms of crash.

i just hope they learn from their mistakes and watever the problem (material failure/technical defect/design error) is rectified and programme is back on track as soon as possible.

this :tdown: is for time of india editorial staff.

HAL and DRDO are a bunch of lazy a$$ people. Never understood the exact reason why even a simple task like making an assault rifle is too damn difficult for them.

HAL and DRDO are a bunch of lazy a$$ people. Never understood the exact reason why even a simple task like making an assault rifle is too damn difficult for them.

they are simply LAZY...and under qualified..thats it.

pathetic reporting by times of india. the author of article ought to know that each development plan has its own set of problems. Jus because we dint have any crash on LCA ac (touch wood) it doesnt mean any other programme will not suffer setbacks in terms of crash.

Pathetic reporting indeed.
LCA Tejas is designed by ADA.
IJT Sitara is designed by HAL.
Saras is designed by NAL.

Three aircraft developed by three different agencies.
TOI is just that -- TOIlet

they are simply LAZY...and under qualified..thats it.

Lazy, definately but not under qualified. If you are a scientist or an engineer, it's mighty hard for a person to get into PSUs let alone companies like ISRO, DRDO or HAL.

Yes, underpaid is another thing. This is the cause of senior scientists quitting their jobs for MNCs.

wait a second dont drag HAL into this... the entire mig 21bison, mig 27, su 30 MKI, jaguar SEPECAT, Cheetah, Cheetak and LCH fleets are manufactured by HAL. HAL is also responsible for over haul all these line and production of sub systems for PSLV and other rocket systems. Assault rifle has nothing to do with HAL. Again LCA / saras/ IJT are NAL creations so please do not drag HAL into it.

Lazy, definately but not under qualified. If you are a scientist or an engineer, it's mighty hard for a person to get into PSUs let alone companies like ISRO, DRDO or HAL.

Yes, underpaid is another thing. This is the cause of senior scientists quitting their jobs for MNCs.

dont complain about others.. if you have a problem go and work for these companies rather than sitting behind your computer and criticizing, I have worked for HAL for 3 years and I very well know the level of competency in HAL, And my dear friend IMHO you have no clue of what you are talking about. You need more research

Only if we could get rid of PSUs in defense industry. Cannot believe we trust these guys with our defense.

If the design is bad .... better stop them and go for a new design.. why making kitchadi with a bad design...

dont complain about others.. if you have a problem go and work for these companies rather than sitting behind your computer and criticizing, I have worked for HAL for 3 years and I very well know the level of competency in HAL, And my dear friend IMHO you have no clue of what you are talking about. You need more research

Since you have worked in HAL you must explain the exact reason behind nickname of Indian Migs. What went wrong that India had the most horrible crash rate in the world. I guess you too have blood on your hands. Any individual working in the HAL or any other organization don't loose his or her life, it's always the soldiers. So next time you see any IAF pilot, just go and apologize to him for your incompetence as he might have lost a friend in those crashes.

And whenever you are back in India, if ever, just PM me so I could arrange some meetings for you with the "Men on the ground" as there are plenty in my family. They will be very happy to learn about the work ethics of Defence PSUs.

As for my part I got rejected because of my weird right shoulder problem.

And last but not the least, Indian constitution has provided me with the power of criticizing, but only if you think that you bigger than the constitution I will stop.

Sorry, Why you quit HAL? I mean if you do not mind.

Since you have worked in HAL you must explain the exact reason behind nickname of Indian Migs. What went wrong that India had the most horrible crash rate in the world. I guess you too have blood on your hands. Any individual working in the HAL or any other organization don't loose his or her life, it's always the soldiers. So next time you see any IAF pilot, just go and apologize to him for your incompetence as he might have lost a friend in those crashes.

And whenever you are back in India, if ever, just PM me so I could arrange some meetings for you with the "Men on the ground" as there are plenty in my family. They will be very happy to learn about the work ethics of Defence PSUs.

As for my part I got rejected because of my weird right shoulder problem.

And last but not the least, Indian constitution has provided me with the power of criticizing, but only if you think that you bigger than the constitution I will stop.

I think it is not fair to criticize HAL... they are doing with the limited capability... and are managing efficiently .. name any other organization... who are doing so with very limited funds and man power...

Back
Top Bottom