What's new

Adultery is not cruelty, Supreme Court says

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Adultery is not cruelty, Supreme Court says

NEW DELHI: Merely being "intimate" with another woman is not sufficient ground for a man to be held guilty of inflicting cruelty on his wife on the charge of failing to discharge his marital obligations, the Supreme Court ruled on Monday.

Only if treatment meted out to the wife is of a nature as is likely to drive her to commit suicide will it fall within the ambit of Section 498A of IPC, a provision of the penal code providing up to three years in jail, said the bench.

"We are of the view that the mere fact that the husband has developed some intimacy with another, during the subsistence of marriage, and failed to discharge his marital obligations, as such would not amount to cruelty," said a bench of Justices K S Radhakrishnan and P C Ghose.

The SC reading of what constitutes cruelty brought relief to a man who had been convicted by both the trial court and the high court for behaviour that resulted in the suicide of his wife due to an alleged extra-marital affair at his place of work.

The ruling came in a case where the wife committed suicide suspecting the husband of intimacy with a woman colleague in office. The trial court and the Gujarat high court held him guilty under Section 498A for causing cruelty to his wife and under Section 306 of IPC for abetting suicide.

"Harassment, of course, need not be in the form of physical assault and even mental harassment also would come within the purview of Section 498A IPC. Mental cruelty, of course, varies from person to person, depending upon the intensity and the degree of endurance, some may meet with courage and some others suffer in silence, to some it may be unbearable and a weak person may think of ending one's life," the bench said.

But keeping in view the case before it, the apex court set aside the concurrent judgments to exonerate the man of any wrongdoing and said, "We, on facts, found that the alleged extra-marital relationship was not of such a nature as to drive the wife to commit suicide or that A-1 (husband) had ever intended or acted in such a manner which under normal circumstances, would drive the wife to commit suicide."

Writing the judgment for the bench, Justice Radhakrishnan said to charge a husband for abetment of suicide, the prosecution must establish that the wife's suicide was a direct result of the extra-marital affair.

"Prosecution has to establish beyond reasonable doubt that the deceased committed suicide and the accused abetted the commission of suicide. But for the alleged extra-marital relationship, which if proved, could be illegal and immoral, nothing has been brought out by the prosecution to show that the accused had provoked, incited or induced the wife to commit suicide," the court said.

"We have on facts found that, at best, the relationship of A-1 (the husband) and A-2 (the other woman) was a one-sided love affair. The accused might have developed some liking towards A-2, his colleague, (but) all the same, the facts disclose that A-1 had discharged his marital obligations towards the deceased. There is no evidence of physical or mental torture demanding dowry," the court said.

Referring to the wife's suicide note, the bench said, "On reading the suicide note, one can infer that the deceased was so possessive of her husband, and was always under emotional stress that she might lose her husband. Too much of possessiveness could also lead to serious emotional stress, over and above the fact that she had one abortion and her daughter died after few days of birth."

Adultery is not cruelty, Supreme Court says - The Times of India

File a PIL if you are unhappy. Saying anything against the SC is Contempt of Court. So Indians - make sure you don't violate the law.
:angel:

I kind of agree with Supreme court here.. A man could develop extramarital affair because of various reasons.. Lack of love from the partner is one of them.

I kind of agree with Supreme court here.. A man could develop extramarital affair because of various reasons.. Lack of love from the partner is one of them.

and what does love mean? instead of cheating the man should be man enough to get out of the marriage go fking around instead of cheating the wife.

and what does love mean? instead of cheating the man should be man enough to get out of the marriage go fking around instead of cheating the wife.
Divorce law needs to be changed, its way too rigid in India. I guess there were few amendments a while ago, but more needs to be done.

Many reasons he cannot get out.. Family honor, future of children etc etc and divorce laws here in India is very much favorable to woman.

Many reasons he cannot get out.. Family honor, future of children etc etc and divorce laws here in India is very much favorable to woman.

:lol: so he is getting kids from the wife, getting all housemaids aka housewives and all his needs fulfilled by her BUT He still complains of lack of love????
and going on cheating his wife ??

hmmmm he and collectively hemales :P :P :P be beaten to blue by wives over cheating. why to commit suicide

cheating men will be cheaters even then.

Marriage means declaring it publicly. So there is no cheating. I think Islam has given a better legal solution to illegal extra marital affair and production of bastards. It gives protection to the woman and legitimacy to the off springs.

:lol: so he is getting kids from the wife, getting all housemaids aka housewives and all his needs fulfilled by her BUT He still complains of lack of love????
and going on cheating his wife ??
hmmmm he and collectively hemales :P :P :P be beaten to blue by wives over cheating. why to commit suicide

Getting some kids and do house hold chores are the way to show love?? As for most of the men, they need an understanding wife.. Some times, the wife can be very nagging.. Sometimes, they need comfort rather than complaints.. Even over possessiveness can be very much irritating.. When people find these kind of things in other women, it natural most of them will fell for it..

PS: I am sure that guys also do these kind of things.. But I am talking from a male point of view!! :D

Marriage means declaring it publicly. So there is no cheating. I think Islam has given a better legal solution to illegal extra marital affair and production of bastards. It gives protection to the woman and legitimacy to the off springs.

What did I just read? ^^^ :ashamed:

Getting some kids and do house hold chores are the way to show love?? As for most of the men, they need an understanding wife.. Some times, the wife can be very nagging.. Sometimes, they need comfort rather than complaints.. Even over possessiveness can be very much irritating.. When people find these kind of things in other women, it natural most of them will fell for it..

PS: I am sure that guys also do these kind of things.. But I am talking from a male point of view!! :D

:)))))) well the Asian men don't apply the same formula for women freedom to get solace outside their marriage.

SO NO , Men have NO right to go for extra marital affairs and women have all the rights to possessive and nagging.

I say nagging to be so strong to force the cheating husbands commit suicide :D instead of women committing it.

sissies

At the cost of real wife's pain?

Back
Top Bottom