What's new

Achievements those who migrated for Pakistan empty handed & what they achieved for dream of Pakistan

Nazia Hassan was a Pakistani pop singer-songwriter, lawyer and social activist. She started her music career at the age of 10, and became one of the most prominent singers of Pakistan. She enjoyed widespread popularity across South and Southeast Asia and has been called the "Queen of Pop" in South Asia. Wikipedia

Born: April 3, 1965, Karachi
Died: August 13, 2000, London, United Kingdom

Nazia-Hassan.jpg

Indian Muslims are far more educated and talented than our so called mahajirs and Urdu speakers.Even being in large number they could not get the due share.But on the other hand Urdu speakers in Pakistan did the wonders.Reason they were provided the best opportunities to flourish.Their language was made official language.Country,s best school ,colleges,universities and hospitals were at their disposal.They got settled in urban areas. Thay always had a lion share in the bureaucracy and other govt postings.They always held important ministries.But still they are not satisfied.They always behave like a cry baby.Actually they miss Altaf bhai very much and they think they are incomplete without him.Otherwise in today,s Pakistan !!!!
President of Pakistan--------------Urdu speaker
Chief Justice of Pakistan--------------Urdu speaker
Attorney general of Pakistan--------------Urdu speaker
Federal law minister-------------------------Urdu speaker
Federal Minister for water and power-------------------------Urdu speaker
Federal minister for planning-------------------------Urdu speaker
Federal minister for port and shipping-------------------------Urdu speaker
Federal Minister for IT-------------------------Urdu speaker
Chairman Pakistan cricket board -------------------------Urdu speaker
Governor of Sindh-------------------------Urdu speaker
Chief of air staff-------------------------Urdu speaker
Chief of general staff-------------------------Urdu speaker
I can add few more.But it would be useless.If we compare with India,s twenty crore Muslims. Out of 29 states only one sate has Muslim Governor and at union level they have only one second class none elected minister.

For the record, according to my info, Air Chief Marshal Anwar Mujahid Khan is from Zafarwal, Dist Narowal. I don't think his mother tongue is Urdu. Additionally, Minister of Planning Asad Umer is the son of Maj Gen Ghulam Umer mentioned in the Hamoodur Rahman report. Are you sure that he comes from an Urdu speaking family?

The word Communalism is derived from Community. I would, therefore, define it as the fostering of cohesiveness within and allegiance to one's own ethnic, linguistic, religious, or sectarian community and discrimination of those from other communities. Whether within or without the national boundaries. In my opinion Communalisms leads to ‘Bigotry’ and therefore I am an anti-communalist.

Partition of the subcontinent was an extremely traumatic experience for nearly 15-million people. Most were forced to move due to a serious threat to their lives but many also opted to migrate on the hope of living among their co-religionists based on their belief in the ‘Two Nation’ theory and that promise that Pakistan was meant to be the home of all the Muslims of the subcontinent who chose to move there.

Since I have no direct experience with the plight of the Hindus & Sikhs who migrated from West Pakistan & East Pakistan into India; I would limit my post to those who came to Pakistan. Regardless of the reason for migration; the brutal fact is that it was the creation of Pakistan that caused the Muslims of the region that is now India to migrate.

Hindus from Pakistan and Muslims from India had to renegotiate their identities as rightful citizens of their adopted countries. India did not need to change its name thus the creation of the nation-state was not much of a problem. But the only “Raison D’etre” for the creation of Pakistan was religion; Founding Fathers, therefore, adopted a ‘Single’ language (Urdu) in an attempt the give the new citizens a sense of national identity other than religion. The attempt however backfired and very soon Pakistan had two national languages; the seeds of the destruction of the Two-Nation Theory thus had been ‘Sown’ as early as March 1948.

During both the Mughal and the colonial era subcontinent had been divided into provinces mainly for the purpose of the government, albeit the boundaries kept changing. Over the period the residents of the provinces adopted a cultural identity that was not based upon religion.

In my humble opinion, despite the fact Pakistan was to be home for all the subcontinent Muslims; understanding of the region based community identity continued and attempts of creating a national identity for Pakistan were not successful due to ossification/inflexibility of a largely illiterate population and because until the 1930's the political leaders were happy to remain with united India.

One would have thought that the 1971 disaster which resulted in the reduction of Pakistan to half her original size would jolt my fellow Pakistani into better cohesion, but alas it did not.

PPP continues to threaten with the ‘Sindh’ card. Baluchi nationalist movement has refused to die-down and until the 1979 Soviet invasion, the Paktunistan issue was very much alive.

Because the majority of the immigrants in Punjab came from Punjabi speaking areas and even those who were from Haryana & UP have assimilated with the indigenous population, the ethnic problem should have disappeared by now. It is therefore with great dismay that I see severe criticism of Urdu, the national language coming from Punjab, and whining that despite having so many top posts Urdu speakers are not satisfied.

Regardless of the region one is from, when a Pakistani travels abroad, he is treated as ‘Pakistani’. The achievements described in this thread were the achievement of Pakistanis. IMHO one the highest honors (Nobel Prize in Physics) was achieved by Prof Abdus Salam, who was a Qadiani but also a “Pakistani”.

I humbly request my compatriots to try overcoming the ‘Communal’ bias and stop criticizing Urdu and Pakistanis of different ethnicity and/or religion. No one is stopping anyone from speaking in their mother tongue and keeping their cultural heritage alive or following their religion. Like a bunch of mixed flowers, we may be of different colour but all of us are Pakistanis.

If we want to keep Pakistan strong and make it a prosperous nation, we need to break out from the provincial mind-set.

Last edited:
After the passing of the great qawwals, country over, and their gaddi nasheens choosing other more "popular" forms of music, Fareed Ayaz and Abu Muhammad have almost been the single driving force in keeping Qawwali alive in modern pop-culture, in Pakistan and beyond.

Fareed-ayaz-and-abu-muhammad.jpg-630x396.png

Ustad Ghulam Fariduddin Ayaz Al-Hussaini Qawwal and Ustad Abu Muhammad are Pakistani Qawwals. They belong to the Qawwal Bachchon Ka Gharana of Delhi. They and their relatives are the flag-bearers of that school of music (gharana), which is also known by the name of the city as the Delhi gharana. They perform various genres of Hindustani classical music such as dhrupad, khayal, tarana, thumri, and dadra. Ayaz leads the qawwal party with his younger brother, Ustad Abu Muhammad. They are probably the most sought-after qawwals in Pakistan and as well as in the South Asian subcontinent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fareed_Ayaz

I don't know of any qawwals who are more sought-after outside of the South Asian subcontinent either.

ps: I believe they are Urdu speakers. The older brother was born in Hyderabad, India and their family moved to Karachi in 1956.

This thread could be a very informative one if started with proper home work.Still there is a long list of the migrants who rendered unprecedented services to the Pakistan.But surprisingly people even donot know their names. Some of the names mentioned above are not even migrant.:coffee:
BTW when did great Moeen Akhter migrate Pakistan empty handed (as per the title)!!!:azn:

Last edited:
This thread could be a very informative one if started with proper home work.Still there is a long list of the migrants who rendered unprecedented services to the Pakistan.But surprisingly people even donot know their names. Some of the names mentioned above are not even migrant.:coffee:

Such as?

Bano Qudsia:disagree:

FOUNDER OF PAKISTAN'S ELITE COMMANDO UNIT, SPECIAL SERVICES GROUP (SSG) OF PAKISTAN'S ARMY.

658ffcf971cd2dfd3779411a01146e43.jpg

Aboobaker Osman Mitha, popularized as A.O. Mitha, SPk, SQA, was a two-star rank army general who is considered a legend in the Pakistan Army, and a "stay behind" conceptual founder of Special Services Group.
Wikipedia
Born: June 1, 1923, India
Died: 1999, Islamabad, Pakistan
Years of service: 1942–72
Education: Indian Military Academy
Books: Unlikely Beginnings: A Soldier's Life, Fallacies & Realities: An Analysis of Lt. Gen. Gul Hassan's "Memoirs"
Battles and wars: World War II, Burma campaign, MORE

Bano Qudsia:disagree:

FOUNDER OF PAKISTAN'S ELITE COMMANDO UNIT, SPECIAL SERVICES GROUP (SSG) OF PAKISTAN'S ARMY.

658ffcf971cd2dfd3779411a01146e43.jpg

Aboobaker Osman Mitha, popularized as A.O. Mitha, SPk, SQA, was a two-star rank army general who is considered a legend in the Pakistan Army, and a "stay behind" conceptual founder of Special Services Group.
Wikipedia
Born: June 1, 1923, India
Died: 1999, Islamabad, Pakistan
Years of service: 1942–72
Education: Indian Military Academy
Books: Unlikely Beginnings: A Soldier's Life, Fallacies & Realities: An Analysis of Lt. Gen. Gul Hassan's "Memoirs"
Battles and wars: World War II, Burma campaign, MORE

Bano Qudsia was born in Firozpur India

BTW when did great Moeen Akhter migrate Pakistan empty handed (as per the title)!!!:azn:

The title has been changed by moderators...I initially had different one.

Contribution of urdu speakers and other migrants towards Pakistan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom