What's new

[Accelerating Movie Theater attendance decline] Five Studios Now Pushing For Premium Video on Demand

IN this day and age when every one have a 65-80 inch screen at home, a standard threater with a standard 120 inch screen does not affect that much, but the people still going to the cineplex or multiplex is usually going there with friends and have fun and hang out.

Much like pubs, when you can literally drink any kind of drink (mixer, cider, beer) at home, why people still goes to pub? Granted, movie threater would have less and less customer because while most of the movie goer would still want to see the big release, with friends, in a seat that can recline, but the true movie goer, the one that go to see a movie because of the movie, would normally choose to be alone at home, watching it on demand..

I guess that is the main different.

Ya, there will always be a draw to seeing movies in a theater. I saw The Dark Knight in theaters and loved the experience. When I bought the blu-ray and watched it at home, the experience wasn't the same, though I still enjoyed it a lot.

However, not every movie warrants that kind of experience. Sometimes you just want to watch something good without having to go through the trouble of going to a theater.

I think $50 for 48 hours is like a package deal for more than 1 movie or unlimited access to the same movie.

Well, to me, it would only be worth it if multiple movies were being offered for $50. Or if more than three to four people were watching, and it was really good. Blu-rays typically don't cost more than $20-25.

I suspect they are targeting large families with little kids (and home theater people) who simply wait for movies to be available on cable for <$15 instead of paying >$50 to go to the movies. Although for $50 it had better be a really good movie for me not to wait for $15. I have only brought my kids to one movie in the theater (Minions). The rest of the time I simply wait for it to be on cable. I can handle fidgety kids at home better.

Ya, exactly. It's only worth it at that price if multiple people are watching and you don't want to wait.

This is offered in a theater near me. Maybe the food will be better than the movie. The desperate things they do to beg more people to go to the theater instead of watching movies at home is getting more silly by the year.

I wouldn't mind a dine-in experience at movie (if the food was good). There are some nice, higher-end theaters here that do that already. But the movie would have to be pretty good too, or it wouldn't be worth it.

Look what typical theaters have to offer now to get people to go

Wow, I've never been in one of those. I have to drive down to Chula Vista one of these days...

As I have been stating in the past it is mind boggling that the US leads China in theater box office sales since pretty much everybody has a big screen TV at home and access to streaming movies. Why take the kids to the theater when I can just grab the remote and within a few seconds have it up and running.

I like watching at home because you can pause, rewind missed dialogue, talk trivia, the volume isn't too loud, and aren't bothered by strangers.

VoD is the way to go. Blu-ray quality Movies already come out on Torrent sites a month or so after release. Hollywood would be better off releasing their movies sooner to combat theft like that.

This is offered in a theater near me. Maybe the food will be better than the movie.
The desperate things they do to beg more people to go to the theater instead of watching movies at home is getting more silly by the year. Meanwhile China with all its growth STILL can't match the US in total sales..and movie theater ticket sales have been flat in the US since the 1990's.

Late 2015 I got tickets and lunch/dinner for 2 to Studio Movie Grill from a friend as a gift and it's still sitting on my bookshelf, not sure when I am going to use it, but whenever I look at it, I plan for the coming weekend ;)

Ya, there will always be a draw to seeing movies in a theater. I saw The Dark Knight in theaters and loved the experience. When I bought the blu-ray and watched it at home, the experience wasn't the same, though I still enjoyed it a lot.

However, not every movie warrants that kind of experience. Sometimes you just want to watch something good without having to go through the trouble of going to a theater.

Well, I guess it is like that, some people like to go to the theaters, some don't, people goes to movie for variety of reason, but advance of Screen technology would definitely draw back some movie goer and they will rather stay home. But you still can't beat the SFX in movie theaters, that cannot be replace, yet.

I am with you, unless I can see multiple movie at the same night, I would not use PPV or On Demand.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 9.02.43 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Okay things are really starting to get silly...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/next-evolution-luxury-theaters-playgrounds-984257

The Next Evolution in Luxury Theaters? Playgrounds

cinepolis_junior_mexico_.jpg

Ernesto López Ruiz/Cinepolis
Cinepolis Junior

The nation's first dedicated children's movie auditorium will debut later this month in Southern California — but don't worry, kids can't play during the film.

Parents are about to see the next evolution in luxury theaters: playgrounds in the auditorium.

On March 16, cinema chain Cinepolis USA will unveil "Cinepolis Junior" in two of its Southern California complexes, one in Pico Rivera in southeastern Los Angeles County and the other in San Diego.

Billed as the nation's first dedicated theater auditorium for kids, Cinepolis Junior features the chain's usual upscale luxury seats along with colorful decor and a 55-foot long, 20-foot high play structure featuring slides, two platforms and a bounty of playground equipment.

For younger tots, there's a smaller, fenced-in play area with green lawn turf, a tire climber and molded plastic animal sculptures that invite climbing.

Some on social media have questioned whether such amenities will ruin the moviegoing experience, but parents don't have to worry: Kids will only be able to play 15 minutes prior to show time, and the theater only features family movies.

Cinepolis, based in Mexico, already operates Cinepolis Junior auditoriums in Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Spain.

"The opportunity to introduce Cinepolis Junior and what it represents — a new way to help loved ones come together and enjoy the arts — to the U.S. market is an honor,” Cinepolis USA CEO Adrian Mijares Elizondo said in a statement. “As the entertainment industry continues to evolve, we are pleased to be a pioneer and continue our innovation in the exhibitor space with our newest theater concept. To help new guests fall in love with movies is our goal, and to do it in a way that caters to every need is our mission.”

Okay things are really starting to get silly...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/next-evolution-luxury-theaters-playgrounds-984257

The Next Evolution in Luxury Theaters? Playgrounds

cinepolis_junior_mexico_.jpg

Ernesto López Ruiz/Cinepolis
Cinepolis Junior

The nation's first dedicated children's movie auditorium will debut later this month in Southern California — but don't worry, kids can't play during the film.

Parents are about to see the next evolution in luxury theaters: playgrounds in the auditorium.

On March 16, cinema chain Cinepolis USA will unveil "Cinepolis Junior" in two of its Southern California complexes, one in Pico Rivera in southeastern Los Angeles County and the other in San Diego.

Billed as the nation's first dedicated theater auditorium for kids, Cinepolis Junior features the chain's usual upscale luxury seats along with colorful decor and a 55-foot long, 20-foot high play structure featuring slides, two platforms and a bounty of playground equipment.

For younger tots, there's a smaller, fenced-in play area with green lawn turf, a tire climber and molded plastic animal sculptures that invite climbing.

Some on social media have questioned whether such amenities will ruin the moviegoing experience, but parents don't have to worry: Kids will only be able to play 15 minutes prior to show time, and the theater only features family movies.

Cinepolis, based in Mexico, already operates Cinepolis Junior auditoriums in Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Spain.

"The opportunity to introduce Cinepolis Junior and what it represents — a new way to help loved ones come together and enjoy the arts — to the U.S. market is an honor,” Cinepolis USA CEO Adrian Mijares Elizondo said in a statement. “As the entertainment industry continues to evolve, we are pleased to be a pioneer and continue our innovation in the exhibitor space with our newest theater concept. To help new guests fall in love with movies is our goal, and to do it in a way that caters to every need is our mission.”

Lol...

Back
Top Bottom