What's new

Abandoned Airfields in Pakistan

sherdil76

Reaction score
Followings are some of the abandoned airfields in Pakistan built during British Raj era but these could still easily be refurbished to use for aircrafts.

I personally believe they are ideal for UAVs (Drones) since the lenght of strips are not suitable for jet aircrafts so they would suit the tactical platforms like UAV/UCAVs etc.

the following Shamsi Airbase in Baluchistan which is operated by USA/CIA for drones attacks in Afghanistan and Pakistan. check the simplicity of this airbase though very effetive results have been prodced by the drones stationed there. so why cant we use the available infrastructure for such purpose.

if you know more of such strips please do add with your views :pakistan:

Sherdil Sahab, first get the drones then we'll get all the strips to fly them off with :)

I know about one but i am not going to share it here as it is one of the "secret" installations , people have been trying to track it on Google earth but never had success for some unknown reason.

As my father was Sector Commander Southern Air Command Samungli Quetta he was posted their, I used to go with one of my friend's right close to our house i could see the the current Airfield ours side was slightly elevated thus was a good visibility down from my home, a 5-10 minutes walk down the road with a large hanger from 1st world war like era for biplanes and plain ground sort of airfield a short one we use to go play cricket there play football or just biking i loved that place. I hope its there.

There was another hanger and an abandoned airfield an old very old my father told me it was an airfield where tiger moths were used and use to fly off i think that area comes when you go to that place i don't remember where there is Air Defense radar station up on height. but these were very old air fields abandoned after British left.

As my father was Sector Commander Southern Air Command Samungli Quetta he was posted their, I used to go with one of my friend's right close to our house i could see the the current Airfield ours side was slightly elevated thus was a good visibility down from my home, a 5-10 minutes walk down the road with a large hanger from 1st world war like era for biplanes and plain ground sort of airfield a short one we use to go play cricket there play football or just biking i loved that place. I hope its there.

There was another hanger and an abandoned airfield an old very old my father told me it was an airfield where tiger moths were used and use to fly off i think that area comes when you go to that place i don't remember where there is Air Defense radar station up on height. but these were very old air fields abandoned after British left.

if i am not wrong you must be talking about airfields around Quetta, there is one in Spezand (South of Quetta) which still has some structures intact.

there must be many more, like in North East of Karachi there are two.

I know about one but i am not going to share it here as it is one of the "secret" installations , people have been trying to track it on Google earth but never had success for some unknown reason.

Brother, i know what you are talking about but please note this post is only about Abandoned Raj era AirFields which are not used by Armed Forces since Brits left. Therefore requesting you to please only discuss about unused ones and appreciate someone correct me if any of above are operational (in use)

Last edited:
Sherdil Sahab, first get the drones then we'll get all the strips to fly them off with :)

Bhaa ji, dil chota na karo, there are many organisations working to develop sophesticated UAVs and even UCAVs for armed forces.

secondly these strips are not only good for Drones but Aviation wing can use them as well, just heard Pak is begging USA, but this time to provide AH1W. as far I know there is only one major Aviation Combat base in Pak i.e. Multan which cannot cover whole of Pakistan from there so in war time they have to relocate to forward areas.

why not we just utilise them and by setting up such small bases will create more pressure on enemy. hope you get what i mean.

Few from me

Near Gujrat
7595cea19da4e250e0aabfca7fa81273.jpg

Near Chakwal

e8c6de757d4b96364ccdae723d710b59.jpg

Jacobabad airfield not really abandoned but under 'Qabza' of the americans

Jacobabad airfield not really abandoned but under 'Qabza' of the americans QUOTE]

check the following snap, yankees had there own air defence installations but against what? they dont even trust our forces who did best to support their evil embitions. And such monuments are only installed to keep morale of their confused soldiers, as many dont even know what the hell they are doing here and why fighting an unwinnable war.

well leave these yanks alone, they will realise soon as world is not as ignorant to be deceived once again like they did during Iraq episode, everybody knows what they are up to so better stick to the topic.

I have visited the abandoned airfield at Sahiwal about 44 kms from Sargodha.

if you know more of such strips please do add with your views

If one flies across Pakistan, you will be amazed to find out that there are hundreds of abandoned airfields all over the Pakistan ....Since you asked for it, so here are some.

Akwal airfield ( near Talagang)
cf051866a4f17369d898ddecf4291812.jpg

Chota Sargodha airfield
, near Sargodha
155ab34923ff80e8a268a5ce589f2a7d.jpg

Khewra Salt mines airfield

34883ab88a77a392b4304d20124e70e5.jpg

Wehgowaal airfield
, near Sargodha
94c0cfe61de2868a57ec8ff0d0526c8c.jpg

Basal airfield, west of Fateh Jang
cca8665e70adb24e6060be32e70c71fb.jpg

Mandi B'uddin airfield
3fd672876f95fe2356a331bb6ca06d01.jpg

FatehJang airfield
b55f6db10269af9aafa4ee80f5eccba9.jpg

While there is no shortage of the disused airfield, but surely a question arises that why shall we spend a good chunk of our meagre resources on these dead elephants, when we already have a decent pool of very well established Forward Op Bases (FOBs) in all the corners of Pakistan??

To operate UAVs from an airfield, it’s not just the runway that is needed. There is lot of other paraphernalia that goes with it as well. For example, the domestic facilities’ (mess, accommodation), the operation rooms, the maintenance facilities, shelters/hangars, fuel storage facilities’, lots of associated vehicles i.e. trucks/jeeps etc and various other admin facilities’..I can go on and on with those...

So rather than using disused airfields with absolutely no facilities’ at all, let’s stick to airfields that are already established and are in working condition.

Last edited:

come on google is quite outdated...Even if ur secret airfield is less than 2 yrs old..but will be easily visible to spy satellites

Agreed with sir Xman.
PAF is already maintaining a number of forward operating bases. and in the case od an imminent outbreak of war, PAF squadrons and flights deploy to these airbases, with all the necessary paraphernailias.
As far as Army aviation is concerned, helicopters does not require runways, as thaey may land and takeoff from fields. Talking of Cobra helicopters, the main base is at Multan, but in case of war, the entire fleet would be split into smaller groups of helicopters, that would be assigned to armoured divisions and brigades. Then the helicopters would be operated from fields, which require little preparation.

Back
Top Bottom