What's new

A top spymaster returns to Mumbai after 9 years as police chief

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
HIGHLIGHTS
  • Subodh Kumar Jaiswal, a low-profile IPS officer of the 1985 batch, took charge of the city’s police force on Saturday evening.
  • Jaiswal also served as head of the 2005 high court-appointed SIT that probed Abdul Karim Telgi’s fake stamp papers scam.
64811132.jpg

Jaiswal headed the ATS, probed the 2006 Malegaon & serial train blasts

MUMBAI: The parallels between the incoming and outgoing police commissioners of Mumbai are hard to miss. Datta Padsalgikar, who is taking over as director general of Maharashtra police after two years as CP, was with the Intelligence Bureau, the country’s domestic intelligence agency, in Delhi for 10 years before returning to Mumbai. His successor, Subodh Kumar Jaiswal (55), was with the Research & Analysis Wing (RAW), India’s external intelligence agency, before returning to Mumbai from Delhi after nine years.

Padsalgikar was the first officer from the IB to become CP. Jaiswal, a low-profile IPS officer of the 1985 batch, who served as additional secretary in RAW for three years but was with the agency since 2009, took charge of the city’s police force on Saturday evening.

Master.jpg

Padsalgikar, who replaces Satish Mathur as DGP, is supposed to retire at the end of August, but the state government has sought a fixed two-year term for him in line with the Supreme Court’s directives.

Master.jpg

Having started out as additional superintendent of police, Amravati, in 1986, Jaiswal has served in various parts of the state, including as Mumbai's additional commissioner of police.

New top cop had probed Telgi, 2006 train blasts

Jaiswal also served as head of the 2005 high court-appointed Special Investigating Team (SIT) that probed Abdul Karim Telgi’s fake stamp papers scam.

Retired IPS officer SS Puri was the other member of the panel. Jaiswal headed the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and was in charge of investigating the 2006 serial train blasts and 2006 Malegaon blast case.

Padsalgikar first took charge of the state police on Saturday and then arrived at 6pm at the city police headquarters at Crawford Market to hand over charge to Jaiswal. The new police commissioner said, “I am proud and thankful that the government has given me such responsibility and that I have been chosen from among many officers. I will continue the fundamental policing (practices) set by my predecessor. My predecessors have set certain standards which I will uphold.”

Asked about his priorities, Jaiswal said, “The challenges of working in Mumbai will remain the same, the only change will be the circumstances. And my team will take challenges as they come.”

The government’s move to bring in Jaiswal came amid speculation that IPS officers Sanjay Barve and Parambir Singh might get the post. Jaiswal, born on September 22, 1962, is set to retire in September 2022. If Padsalgikar gets a fixed tenure of two years as DG as per the Supreme Court guidelines, Jaiswal will serve in the city for two years.

Get latest news & live updates on the go on your pc with News App. Download The Times of India news app for your device. Read more City news in English and other languages.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ears-as-police-chief/articleshow/64811134.cms

Indian police uniforms are much more graceful than ours.Our current new olive green uniforms are a joke.

sala zindagi mein kabhi chair se utha nahi hoga spy master. Doval type ke jo hotey hai woh aise nahi hotey.

We should go for either Navy Blue or Black Uniform

Back
Top Bottom