What's new

A Super Power without Allies ?

YeBeWarned

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
As we all know currently USA is the sole Super power in this world but there was a time when there was another ( USSR ) but it crumbled and divided into several small independent states. After giving some thought into it , I wonder what cause the USSR to collapse ? was it bad economy ? weak Army ? lack of allies or their support ? strategic blunders ? etc ..

There is this one question that pop into my head about the afghan war which struck the last nail in the USSR coffin , USSR was badly losing in Afghanistan .. Americans use their every possible Ally in the region to beat them , Pakistan trained and Fought with Afghans to hurt USSR , Arabs poured in Millions of Dollars and manpower , and so Europe back US actions . Who were USSR Allies and what were they doing ? I can think of India as very close ally to USSR , and they are the closest to help their cause with money or manpower but why they didn't do it ? why USSR did not use the same tactics US used against them ??

Please discuss ..

@Oscar @Inception-06 @django @Beast @Signalian @Indus Pakistan @HRK @tps77 @war&peace @Mentee @Zarvan @Basel @Game.Invade @MastanKhan @Windjammer @Kaniska @AUSTERLITZ @HariPrasad @vostok @F-22Raptor @jhungary @VCheng @Knuckles @jamahir @Combat-Master @gambit @illusion8

Please keep the discussion as Civil/formal as possible ..

This shows that collapse of a nation requires only wrong decisions and wrong ideology. We often analyse economic and strategic aspects for the failure. Other soft reasons are also very important which are often ignored.

Pure communism failed as an economic and political system badly. USSR was designed to fail from the beginning. Bolshevik revolution was a western plan. You cannot suppress people and still think you will survive as a super power.

Last edited:
This shows that collapse of a nation requires only wrong decisions and wrong ideology. We often analyse economic and strategic aspects for the failure. Other soft reasons are also very important which are often ignored.
that's true .

USSR economy is almost non existent. It mainly financial its economy by export of raw material like oil.

The most important reason for USSR collapse is becos of its poor economy shape and suffering of ordinary citizen.

I will not say USA is the sole superpower. China is definitely another superpower. It has almost a similar size economy of US and a military second only to USA.

USSR economy is almost non existent. It mainly financial its economy by export of raw material like oil.

The most important reason for USSR collapse is becos of its poor economy shape and suffering of ordinary citizen.

ussr economy was trying to support whole communist world with zero contribution from other side . failure was inevitable .

Spending 10% to 30% of their GDP on defense was not a good idea.

There is only one superpower and Alway be one.

The United States of America.

Last edited:
As we all know currently USA is the sole Super power in this world but there was a time when there was another ( USSR ) but it crumbled and divided into several small independent states. After giving some thought into it , I wonder what cause the USSR to collapse ? was it bad economy ? weak Army ? lack of allies or their support ? strategic blunders ? etc ..

There is this one question that pop into my head about the afghan war which struck the last nail in the USSR coffin , USSR was badly losing in Afghanistan .. Americans use their every possible Ally in the region to beat them , Pakistan trained and Fought with Afghans to hurt USSR , Arabs poured in Millions of Dollars and manpower , and so Europe back US actions . Who were USSR Allies and what were they doing ? I can think of India as very close ally to USSR , and they are the closest to help their cause with money or manpower but why they didn't do it ? why USSR did not use the same tactics US used against them ??

Please discuss ..

@Oscar @Inception-06 @django @Beast @Signalian @Indus Pakistan @HRK @tps77 @war&peace @Mentee @Zarvan @Basel @Game.Invade @MastanKhan @Windjammer @Kaniska @AUSTERLITZ @HariPrasad @vostok @F-22Raptor @jhungary @VCheng @Knuckles @jamahir @Combat-Master @gambit @illusion8

Hi, Soviet asked for Chinese assistance to harass US involvement in Vietnam war and won. But US has a powerful economy that not even Soviet Union can replicate. US economy allows US to wage wars.

Soviet do not has such luxury. Their economy scale is not even half of current China economy. How can they sustain such drain of finance in Afghanistan war? During WWII, Soviet citizen can be mobilized and work without even paid becos its a matter of life and death for them against the Nazi. But if you want to try forced labour during Afghanistan war? Good luck. The soviet union will end even earlier.

Last edited:

I will not say USA is the sole superpower. China is definitely another superpower. It has almost a similar size economy of US and a military second only to USA.
USSR unnecessarily indulge in military competition with US without building financial muscles. It diverted all its resources to military like Pakistan does today. In the process it emerged as a great militarily power but it can not produce a good car today or a good quality drug. As this is not enough, Mosad fu**ed the mind of people by inflicting US fobia and enmity. When people start believing in false notions, their collapse becomes inavitable. Anyhow, totalitarian regiem always required to inflict fear in the mind of people to project them as their savior. Alltogater, this makes a failed nation. This is an example of past but we can see many examples of present also.

Suppression of freedom also resulted in its collapse. People wanted to leave Russia as if they have been imprisoned. I visited central Asian states and they tell how horribly they were suppressed especially religiously so now they are so happy after the collapse of USSR.

Please discuss ..

Actually USSR had allies but due to its economic policy it failed.

...wonder what cause the USSR to collapse ? was it bad economy ?
That -- the highlighted. There is no need to 'wonder' what caused the USSR to collapse.

Look at it this way...

When everything is the same, what do you have to compare one unit from another? Nothing.

But when there are varieties, inevitably, comparisons will be made. Comparisons often leads to competition. And competition always ends with a winner and loser.

As long as the Western countries exists, the Soviets will always be in competition. Not just in the intellectual front, but in all areas of human life. As long as there is an economy that outperform the communist model, the Soviet system is at risk.

Let us take the microwave oven, for example...

Could the microwave oven come from a communist country? Not likely. Not impossible, but not likely.

Not because the Soviet system do not know electronics or metallurgy or microwave radiation. In fact, the Soviets have many experts in those areas. But the microwave oven is a 'want', not a 'need'. You do not need the microwave oven to heat water. That is what the communist will say -- and have said. And that is where the communist is an idiot.

To win someone over, you do not cater to his/her needs but his/her WANT. Most people can take care of their own needs. But the microwave oven cater to what the public 'want', which is ANOTHER method of heating water. Choices are difficult for a communist to fathom.

So as long as there exist an economy that caters to what people 'want', the economy that enforces 'needs' will lose.

China is no superwoper...
Globaly it has no military strenght to act like a superpower... like the USA today or USA and USSR in the past
China is only a economy superpower and only a regional military power...

China cant even stop the US NAVY to sail through international water that China claims their own at their front door... something the USA would have never tryed during the cold war with USSR and the USSR not with USA

Please discuss ..

@Oscar @Inception-06 @django @Beast @Signalian @Indus Pakistan @HRK @tps77 @war&peace @Mentee @Zarvan @Basel @Game.Invade @MastanKhan @Windjammer @Kaniska @AUSTERLITZ @HariPrasad @vostok @F-22Raptor @jhungary @VCheng @Knuckles @jamahir @Combat-Master @gambit @illusion8.

It was a cold war and one party had to win. The Americans controlled the world economy and the USSR was surrounded by enemies, sanctions and trade restrictions. Rouble was trading at 3000 to a dollar, not to mention a harsh communist regime. In those times, there were limited media and fewer analysts, we only got to see what came in the way of news on national TV or newspapers. India supported the USSR as much as it could, even paying for defense equipment at old dollar rates instead of the rates after the rouble debacle.

USSR suffered from multiple internal uprisings and seperation movements and its zeal to compete toe to toe with the Americans dragged them down to the pits.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom