What's new

A military is only for war-Pervez Hoodboy

the Author is a great writer and presents his case very well.
he deliberated his case woth some examples but he also qualified his statement with word "not always".

meaning there are cases across the globe throughout history where former military generals became successful statesmen. specially during WW2 and later some had experienced in civilian and military setup.

that aside the message is ,that running country like a military unit is a wrong approach you cant bully and punish people to comply "all the time".

but Alas we still have you.
I mean yay they failed to get you.
I truly wonder how many of the people who liked Mrc's comment actually read the article, and of those that read it, how many actually understood it.

I also wonder how many people simply based their opinion on the headline...which isn't even incorrect. A military is literally only meant to fight wars, that's why it exists in the first place.

How anyone can disagree with this...

All Pakistani institutions are desperately short of competence and sorely need the right people in the right places. Retired officers when put at the head of organisations can make cosmetic changes and may superficially improve institutional discipline but not much else. Soldiers should stick to what they are good at and paid for — fighting wars rather than running businesses or making movies.

...boggles my mind.

You don't ask a car mechanic to perform heart surgery, you go to a trained and qualified heart surgeon.

Last edited:
On the first point, I’d refer you to see what I’ve said on the subject of the OBL raid in the past. OBL was in our custody and had been for years before the raid, the civilian government did not know and were not informed, only very few people knew and it was a closely guarded secret. Pulitzer Prize winning journalists Seymour Hersh detailed how the US found out, and the subsequent raid that was agreed upon and how the plan was compromised and how Pakistan was thrown under the bus at the last minute, and it’s also why our army was silent and civilian leadership confused. It is also what led to tensions between the army and the PPP government of the time, and it subsequently led to memogate. This version of the OBL raid also fits the version ex DG ISI Asad Duranni alluded to in an interview, and also a historian here in the UK who quoted another high ranking official. I’m loose on specifics here, you can look up the details yourself starting with Seymour Hersh. One day this whole thing may be declassified, or the story let slip.
If you are into conspiracy theories then there is no point in arguing. I will just move on.

On the second point, I don’t agree. We didn’t just allow it, but perhaps our side, all our leadership were caught off guard and unprepared. Perhaps better planning might have led to better response.
What planning and preparation would prevent a murderous maniac and his extremist followers from committing a political crime against Kashmiris? I mean you expect Bajwa to overthrow Indian parliament just like past Army chiefs used to do in Pakistan? Pindi Brigade cant do a coup in Dehli sir!! So why are you blaming Bajwa or PM for it? These were changes in Indian laws and we have no authority to prevent them. The geopolitical situation is in Indian favor - we are even witnessing Jerusulem now being accepted as a capital of Israel!! If you are thinking of a military offense - then sorry just like an offense is not a feasible option for India, it also applies to Pakistan (actually applies more to us).

On the third point, I don’t call them cowards, it’s not for a civilian to call a serving officer or general a coward, especially those who distinguished themselves in the army. However, there is no doubt that our dictators started and lost wars. Operation Gibraltar was a failure and it also failed to anticipate India launching a full scale war. We lost Siachen, but I have not read much about the subject so I’ll refrain from judgement. But on Kargil, I’ve read more than enough, we started it and we lost it, mostly because of poor planning and an inability to anticipate the enemy’s response and international pressure. Musharraf blames everyone else, it was his stupidity that lost the war and destroyed negotiations about Kashmir.
How does that prove Pakistan Army is incapable of fighting a war? Every nation faces success and defeats - US is considered to have lost vietnam and Afghanistan war as well, does that mean they have an incapable Military?
About your specific conclusions on 65 and Kargil - in short they are wrong. The problem is laymen always like to see superficial results to decide winner or loser i.e how many did we kill or loose? How much territory gained or lost? Where as in Military terms its about meeting the objectives in the end. Russia lost more men in ww2 but is considered to have won. The Taliban lost the whole country but are still perceived as winners. @PanzerKiel has explained these wars in detail in other threads and its better he answers it or can kindly provide the references.

Last edited:
If you are into conspiracy theories then there is no point in arguing. I will just move on.

Fine, but look up Seymour Hersh's version in your free time, he's not just some conspiracy theorist, he's a pulitzer prize winning investigative journalists, and for his version of the OBL raid, he relied on his usual contacts in the US DoD, pentagon etc, and also contacts from our millitary. He made sure his version was corroborated by multiple sources on both sides.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v37/n10/seymour-m.-hersh/the-killing-of-osama-bin-laden

Not all of these details have to be correct for point number one from the last post to stand. When relying on sources, sometimes you get some details which are not correct, others which are not mentioned, and some that are omitted due to lack of corroborating accounts or evidence. In my estimation, this is the most credible and detailed version of events out there as of today.

What planning and preparation would prevent a murderous maniac and his extremist followers from committing a political crime against Kashmiris? I mean you expect Bajwa to overthrow Indian parliament just like past Army chiefs used to do in Pakistan? Pindi Brigade cant do a coup in Dehli sir!! So why are you blaming Bajwa or PM for it? These were changes in Indian laws and we have no authority to prevent them. The geopolitical situation is in Indian favor - we are even witnessing Jerusulem now being accepted as a capital of Israel!! If you are thinking of a military offense - then sorry just like an offense is not a feasible option for India, it also applies to Pakistan (actually applies more to us).

Read what I said, stop getting worked up when I already said I don't agree with the quoted assessment. In my view however, it looked like we were caught off guard when Modi moved. As far as I'm aware, Modi had this in his party's manifesto and stated again and again that he'd do it. On the subject however, I don't see much our side could have done, beyond the usual which we did already do.

How does that prove Pakistan Army is incapable of fighting a war? Every nation faces success and defeats - US is considered to have lost vietnam and Afghanistan war as well, does that mean they have an incapable Military?

Don't put words in mouth! NOWHERE did I claim or concur with the part in bold. You asked if I thought this and I said 'No'. I elaborated on past performances because that was the content of the posts we quoted, talking about dictators and their failed wars.

Read carefully and don't strawman me.

About your specific conclusions on 65 and Kargil - in short they are wrong. The problem is laymen always like to see superficial results to decide winner or loser i.e how many did we kill or loose? How much territory gained or lost? Where as in Military terms its about meeting the objectives in the end. Russia lost more men in ww2 but is considered to have won. The Taliban lost the whole country but are still perceived as winners. @PanzerKiel has explained these wars in detail in other threads and its better he answers it or can kindly provide the references.

By the end of those wars, did we achieve our objectives that motivated us to start those conflicts? No.
Gibraltar failed, the 65 war as a whole we performed well in considering we punched above our weight. But as for Kargil, it was a failure. I've already had this discussion with PanzerKiel and agree with his assessment in some areas, but overall this is my quick take on Kargil:

We captured very defensible and strategically valuable positions very easily and cheaply. These heights allowed us a commanding position on the battlefield, Indian attempts to dislodge us failed and they paid a heavy price for attempting it, we were able to accurately and effectively target their key National Highway 1, which goes roughly from Baramulla to Leh. We could cut it off easily.

The idea here was from what I've read that we'd retain these heights and repulse any attempts to dislodge us, and that additionally, these could be used to put pressure on India or be used as bargaining chips on withdrawal from Siachen, and wider Kashmir issue.

However, when Indians obviously made a fuss about our capturing of their heights, we said that these were mujahideen and not our men at all, they were non-state actors. This was a short-sighted way of dodging any international pressure, we'd pay the price later on. Musharraf also failed to consult the army leadership entirely too, nor did he consult or take into confidence the rest of the armed forces, including the air force. He also did not inform the government until later, and even then did not reveal all.

As a result, we failed to anticipate and prepare for Indian escalation. The IAF met some resistance due to shoulder launched SAMs at height, they even lost a few aircraft, but once they knew what protocols to use to stay clear of this threat, they had a free reign. Their Mirage-2000s carried out hundreds of strike sorties and hundreds of recon sorties on those positions of ours. In response, we did nothing and could do nothing. We had previously said that these were not our men, we would need to abandon that claim if we were to support them. There was also a risk that India might open new fronts, it favours them as a larger nation not to fight a small scale limited engagement with Pakistan, they do not yet have technological asymmetry, they press their advantage with scale and outweighing us.

Additionally, it was Musharraf himself along with his gang of four that panicked when the situation across the LoC began to escalate and we began losing positions. He asked our civilian leadership to ask the US to mediate, he lies about it to this day, but the pertinent point here is that the US was not interested in walking back India from asking for an unconditional withdrawal of our forces. Even our friends China, shunned us, they refused to extend even basic diplomatic support on Kargil. I could go on at length, but you should read accounts on the war yourself (accounts other than Musharraf's alone).
how long does it take? anti-army folk like jugnibaz -who does not even know the very basics of democracy- get promoted in to mod team. I say what-the-****?

Does criticizing the leadership of the army and commenting on dictators of the past make me anti-army? I joined this forum as an enthusiast of the armed forces of Pakistan, it's all that keeps me coming back to the forum when I'm too busy to post. As for the very basics of democracy, please go ahead and educate me, clearly you know better, I'll wait...

Last edited:
Hoodboy should lead a movement for disarmament.

I respect him for his opinion but just don't agree at all.

I believe in diversity in thought process, the fact that some one with such anti military thoughts is given space in Pakistani main stream media goes to show the tolerance that Pakistani society is slowly showing. I hope a day comes where people are allowed to express their thoughts without fear of being labelled traitor or kafir.

just like anti state actors have rights to spew venom about the state of Pakistan, state loving Pakistanis have equal right to call them what like. That day you are talking about is been here for years and dogs are allowed to bark without fear and they do keep on parking...but I also have right to call them Dogs.

His general point is right buys he's full of sh1t.

Britains Brexit negotiator is part of the Aristocracy. He's a baron and has a degree in history and French.

The head of Biritsh Airways is a Spaniard with a degree in business.

He's making up lies to fit his narrative - standard practise for Pakistan hating Hood Boi

Pakistan has not produced quality statesmen to run its affairs. The educational system failed and most of all not getting rid of the feudal lord system like India did more damage than good. The military also has a part as they propped up useless individuals like the Bhuttos and Sharif family.

Most importantly even till this day nationalism isn’t thought to glue various segments of society together. We still allow parties to play the ethic card.

Also, for Hoodboy I want to ask him besides writing useless articles outside his field of qualification, what has he provided as a physicist in his field? I’ve not read anything research related in physics besides his verbal diarrhea mainlining Pak Army every chance he gets.

Last edited:
The writer of the article needs to attain more knowledge and understanding before he picks up the pen next time.

A very long time back it was the trend in most families (even military families) to send those sons in military who were weak in studies, the others would be fated to become doctors, engineers etc. The idea was that anyone who doesn't get grades but passes on margin, there is no future for him but to become an army officer. This was a very wrong misconception. Imagine the misery of a boy who already shrugs off and cuts his path from dilemma of studying and then has to study and attend courses for the rest of his life in uniform !

The amount of studies, exams and courses that an army officer has to go through all this career can hardly be matched in any other profession. There is so much learning in Military through these courses which doesn't stop all life, for an officer to become a Brigadier even has to go through course after serving 20-25 years in Army. The studies start from life of a cadet, YO's course as soon as he becomes an officer, then other different courses as vacancies start coming in for units to send their officers, then "hard area" experience, courses/postings in foreign countries and the list goes on and on. Studies and courses are just one major part of Military life, then there are command and administration duties etc which further polishes him. Military officers are highly qualified and trained individuals, they have a "can do, will do" attitude thus can adapt in any environment they are thrown into.

Compare this amount of learning to decision makers for Pakistani public like MPAs, MNAs and other politicians who run the country. Their reply is "degree, degree hoti hay". I am not in favour of martial law or military dictatorship, but its a pathetic cause when one has to cast a vote after looking at profiles or history of politicians of Pakistan.

All Pakistani institutions are desperately short of competence and sorely need the right people in the right places. Retired officers when put at the head of organisations can make cosmetic changes and may superficially improve institutional discipline but not much else. Soldiers should stick to what they are good at and paid for — fighting wars rather than running businesses or making movies.

Regardless of the merits of the points made by the author, it is way past time to recognize the roles played by the military in Pakistan, and see how it is possible to move forward within the constraints of this system, rather than pining for an ideal that died decades ago.

Last edited:
1602509073857.png

only Physicist I know who does everything except Physics ..His name maybe Hoodbhoy, but i am sure Anti Pakistan elements will be like Goodbhoy :D

Let the experts in a certain field shall head the certain department, Never ever in history a civilian has not been made directly a Corps Commander then how come a retired CC can lead a certain field which he has no experience. A soldier which he goes from lieutenant to general will have a top class experience in the field of tactics and strategy than a civilian which has no clue how to start a day as an army officer. Let the experts run their field

My advise to this man is, go out, look around , see the world. This tunnel vision hatred of Pak armed forces is causing periphery sight lose.

Not long ago, Indian chief Nirvane was in Myanmar along with some other civilians. Trump and pentagon were/are at odds. Do the math.

No Mr wise guy, military is not only for fighting wars. As a pillar of any state, it gets involve in all matters relating to the functioning of state.

Back
Top Bottom