What's new

A Forum Post regarding the Danger of Helping India Upgrading its Infrastructure

Indian spend of $ 1 trillion dollars on infrastructure over next half a decade or so is primarily intended to upgrade the country's civilian infra more than military infra.

here you are saying the US might build airbases on the CHinese border

OK, let me rephrase. What if the US built a civilian airstrip *cough* *cough* near the Chinese border?

All in the name of cooperation and friendship. ;)

OK, let me rephrase. What if the US built a civilian airstrip *cough* *cough* near the Chinese border?

D, your flame baits aren't working. try harder :tup:

Last edited:

Anything wrong in constructing a civilian airstrip near any border, if we are doing it on our land? :what:

D, your flame baits aren't working. try harder :tup:

Flame bait? Not really.

It goes to the heart of the original post's point. A well developed civilian infrastructure is vital during wartime and China is helping India develop its wartime capability.

Anything wrong in "civilian" airport ??

Just like China is constructing Gwadar..all in the name of freindship and co-operation ?

Flame bait? Not really.

It goes to the heart of the original post's point. A well developed civilian infrastructure is vital during wartime and China is helping India develop its wartime capability.

I think you guys are taking it all wrong. Its not that Indian cos are totally illiterate and completely dependent on foreign expertise. Only for some projects, will they depend on outsiders.

And just to pint out --> Foreign companies will not even be allowed to operate anywhere near the border areas due to its sensitivities.

Only for some complex projects far away from sensitive areas, foreign companies may be allowed to participate.

For all other projects, Indian companies alone will manage everything. India has several excellent E&C companies who have executed several critical projects and that too within their deadlines.

Flame bait? Not really.

Alright then, I will give you an honest answer. U.S. govt. will not get directly involved in building an airstrip anywhere in India. At the most an american construction company will submit a competitive bid for a project and hence will be seen as a run-of-the-mill business contract.
Even our flamboyant media wouldn't bother reporting it.

Like I said before, Chinese involvement in infra projects will be helpful in improving our overall relations (read: reduction in chances of war in the first place). If not, no harm no foul :tup:

No... not at all. Why would I be happy with that?

It's hardly something I can control though. Countries can do what they want with their own land.

Of course, but the point of the original post was whether China should be helping India enhance its dual-use capability.

Anything wrong in "civilian" airport ??

It's a dual-use facility. India can build all the airstrips it wants wherever it wants, but I can assure you no Chinese company will build a civilian airstrip for India near the Chinese border.

Just like China is constructing Gwadar..all in the name of freindship and co-operation ?

I don't think there's any doubt the port will be dual-use and is explicitly designed as part of China's anti-India strategy.

Nobody is saying India can't do the job itself, or it doesn't have other options. I think the original poster is saying China shouldn't let India develop its infrastructure on a budget -- let India spend its hard earned cash hiring expensive western expertise.

Of course, the downside is that Chinese companies lose out, which is why it's an interesting debate.

very good observation, that western companies would hire maids and prostitutes and live like ancient Mughal emperors while raking in huge cash from kickbacks while Chinese engineers are stuck in miserable concrete compounds because we believe in efficiency.

Yaa i think Chinese companies should stick to only exports of Diwali lights,Plastic Ganesh(LOL), spurious electric bulb,mobiles and other 3rd rate cheap stuff is has flooded Indian markets.

Its good for poor people of india who use it one day and throw it to garbage next day.:china:

Of course, but the point of the original post was whether China should be helping India enhance its dual-use capability.

Fair point. :tup:

The thing is... this infrastructure is going to be built anyway. If not by Chinese companies, then by someone else.

In that scenario, I don't see any advantage in giving up the contracts. This is just my opinion of course.

from earlier posts i get an impression dat most here THINK indian infra companies aslow tech
for high tech infra just search GMR (just one among many)
find out how many world class airports they have built all across the world
(b/w they wer d ones who built delhi T3)

Back
Top Bottom