What's new

A dozen SAAF Gripens in long-term storage

Engines are usually left in place -- weight and balance. The engine must also be 'pickled', of course, with its own special procedures and lubes, and once 'pickled', the engine is left alone. Air data ports are covered to prevent debris, no matter how small, from accidental entry.

How long can a plane be in storage?
Don't they rust or something?

Theoretically -- forever. Or until time and the environment eventually dissolves it. But the goal of long term storage with appropriate preservation measures is to preserve the functionality of the aircraft itself for later use. So the better methods you have, the less problematic the aircraft will be when you do pull it out of storage.

What about the pilots whom were meant to be flying these. Must of cost alot for their training. What do they do to keep up their flying skills "crop dusting".
Just seems a really bad waste of money.

What about the pilots whom were meant to be flying these. Must of cost alot for their training. What do they do to keep up their flying skills "crop dusting".

I'm no professional, but I think they either: Fly another plane (or train other pilots) or be airline pilots.

But I think Gambit knows.

One principle of the Gripen's air frame's design was that many components do not require maintenance or are of low maintenance cost; combined with the aircraft's maintenance-friendly layout, it means that the Gripen will have a fairly longer life compared to its contemporaries. This is expected to be around 50 years - It would be more if mothballed as the South Africans are doing.

Each aircraft is fitted with a Health and Usage Monitoring System (HUMS) that monitors and records the performance of various systems, and provide information to technicians to assist in servicing the Gripen.

According to Jane's Information Group, the Gripen has an operational cost per flight hour of only $4,700 compared to the $7,000 for the F-16 and is generally lower than other western fighters. And yet the South Africans are finding it difficult to operate! :what:

I'm no professional, but I think they either: Fly another plane (or train other pilots) or be airline pilots.

But I think Gambit knows.
Generally, projections about manpower versus aircrafts should parallel each other, and that should include operation costs. But in this case, the pilots could:

- Leave the service.
- Remains in service but lose their flight status and take different positions.

Bottom line is that unless you actually fly the aircraft you are assigned to fly, you will lose proficiency. For someone like a DC-10 pilot, he can maintain proficiency in something like a 737, but not a Concorde. For an air refuel tanker pilot, he can transfer to a similarly sized cargo aircraft. There are exceptions, of course. Space Shuttle pilots cannot fly the actual Space Shuttle all the time, so they have to maintain proficiency in both simulator and the T-38 trainer aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom