What's new

!965 WAR: Why IAF did not have fighter equipped with AA Missiles, PAK had (F86F, F104 Starfighters)

Raj-Hindustani

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi All,

As i understands about 1965 Air war between PAF and IAF, IAF aircraft's was not equipped with AA missiles. In the inventory, IAF was having the most of vintage aircraft's (WW2 and also latest without any AA missiles.

At the other hands, PAK was having F86F and F104 Starfighters with Sidewinder AA missiles and it was the most advanced heat seeking air- to-air missile (AAM) in the world at that time

Known history of Sidewinder
The Nationalist Chinese Air Force Sabres adequately demonstrated this, when they shot down four Communist Chinese Air Force MiG-17 jets with the Sidewinder in 1958. Remarkably, a total of only six GAR 8s were fired to achieve this.

These scenario gave technical advantages to the PAF force.

Question: Why was India not purchased the Aircraft's with AA missiles?

Examples :

120 F86F Sabre fighter
14 F104 Starfighters.

GAR-8 Sidewinder heat seeking missiles (The Sidewinder was the most advanced heat seeking air- to-air missile (AAM) in the world at that time)

130 Vampires (WWII vintage)
50 Ouragons
Dassault_Mystère_IV 104
Gnats
Hunter

All fighters without any AA missiles...

Please let me know if anyone having knowledge on this...

Last edited:
IAF had the numbers. Alot of dogfights were won, using guns.

120 F86F Sabre fighter
14 F104 Starfighters.
Not all Sabres were wired to carry the sidewinder

Early model sidewinders were not as reliable as today's models. Yes they did give the PAF an advantage but not by a huge margin since you still had to maunever behind the target to get a shot

Last edited:
Hi All,

As i understands about 1965 Air war between PAF and IAF, IAF aircraft's was not equipped with AA missiles. In the inventory, IAF was having the most of vintage aircraft's (WW2 and also latest without any AA missiles.

At the other hands, PAK was having F86F and F104 Starfighters with Sidewinder AA missiles and it was the most advanced heat seeking air- to-air missile (AAM) in the world at that time

Known history of Sidewinder
The Nationalist Chinese Air Force Sabres adequately demonstrated this, when they shot down four Communist Chinese Air Force MiG-17 jets with the Sidewinder in 1958. Remarkably, a total of only six GAR 8s were fired to achieve this.

These scenario gave technical advantages to the PAF force.

Question: Why was India not purchased the Aircraft's with AA missiles?

Examples :

120 F86F Sabre fighter
14 F104 Starfighters.

GAR-8 Sidewinder heat seeking missiles (The Sidewinder was the most advanced heat seeking air- to-air missile (AAM) in the world at that time)

130 Vampires (WWII vintage)
50 Ouragons
Dassault_Mystère_IV 104
Gnats
Hunter

All fighters without any AA missiles...

Please let me know if anyone having knowledge on this...
Iaf at the time was forming mig21 sqd and has 9 mig21 when 1 was destroyed on ground by PAF attack...
Secondly what i remember was that only 12 f86 sabred were aam capable....
Thirdly majority of kills by paf are not by missles...

Back
Top Bottom