Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevrai

Reaction score
Country
India
80 people reportedly killed in U.S. drone strike in Pakistan

2011-03-17 20:39:30
ISLAMABAD, March 17 (Xinhua) -- At least 80 people were killed in U.S. drone strikes launched Thursday morning in different parts of Pakistan's northwest tribal area of North Waziristan, reported local state-run Urdu TV channel PTV, but the report failed to give details other than saying 12 missiles were fired at different targets in the afore-said area.

Late Thursday morning, there came in the news that U.S. drones launched a strike in the Datta Khel area of North Waziristan. Initial reports by most of the local media said that two missiles were fired at a house in which militants were said to be holding a meeting inside, killing 4 people and injuring several others.

But the death toll has kept rising as more information came in from the remote area with inadequate communication facilities. Some local media reports said the target of the U.S. drones is a house at a village in the Datta Khel area in which a meeting was being held by local Taliban militants while others reported that the target was actually a tribal "jirga" or council of elders to resolve dispute over the ownership of minerals in the mountains in North Waziristan tribal region.

According to a tribal elder who asked to remain anonymous in a telephone interview from Miranshah, center of North Waziristan, the tribesmen from Madda Khel tribe were holding a meeting at Nawai Adda area, some 25 kilometers from Miranshah, when two U.S. drones fired four missiles at the participants of the tribal council at 11:30 am (local time)

The elder said that the strike killed 41 people including six tribal elders and some children.

The injured were later transferred to the hospital in Miranshah and some of them were in critical condition, said hospital sources.

The tribal elder rejected the reports that the target was a meeting held by militants. He said that all were local tribesmen. He said that the Madda Khel tribe had sold a chromite mine on 8.8 million rupees (slightly over 100,000 US dollars) to a man and both parties later disagreed over the payment method and the jirga was called to settle the dispute.

Member of National Assembly from the region, Kamran Khan, condemned the drone strike and said that mostly innocent people were killed and injured in the Thursday's strike.

Residents said that they had seen four drones hovering over the area before and after the attack. They said two aircraft fired missiles.

Thursday's strike is the 23rd of its kind in Pakistan since 2011 and also one of the most deadly strikes in the country over the last few years. To date, at least 187 people have reportedly been killed in such strikes since this year.
Editor: Xiong Tong

80 people reportedly killed in U.S. drone strike in Pakistan

This is a crazy number .

Were they waiting to get their man out of Pak custody to strike ?

This is a crazy number .

Were they waiting to get their man out of Pak custody to strike ?

yes
and their way of saying thankyou
I dont think the Americans can prove that all those kiled were terrorists

I think this shotgun marriage will be over soon

80 is a very big number. I think all of them were not terrorists. Any confirmation about that?

RIP to the civilian deaths.

According to reports it was a tribal meeting of tribal elders with a militant leader to strike a peace deal and so 79 civilians and 1 terrorist.

According to reports it was a tribal meeting of tribal elders with a militant leader to strike a peace deal and so 79 civilians and 1 terrorist.

1 terrorist out of 79? did any paper report it? very heartbroken if it's true.

they dont know where is usama bin laden and from 10000 ft they knows inside house all 80 are terrorist man seriously faking intellgence by both side! man seriously i am laughing on American CIA and forces and PAkistan Army!!! and Govt!!! welldone great job! how much per person ???$$$ ????

Reactions: sur
First, this is full of confusion,

Number stated is unbelievable,

Second, you have to remember PA general statement about drone attacks.
Third, Army, ISI, government gave green signals for drones so what is going on not totally in our knowledge.

After release of RD, trust on PA & ISI once again under ? mark, for what they allowed & why.

This is a big slap on the faces of those who support military's indiscriminate purchases at the cost of infrastructure and education. But I guess even now they won't see how long it took to confirm how many actually died in this strike - the length of time it took to confirm the number of casualties, is reflective of the condition of infrastructure.

The attack in Afghanistan, where 9 innocents were killed, forced David Petraeus to apologize the very next day, because the news came out quickly and protests emanated from the area of incident. Now let us see whether Pakistan will force the US to apologize when 80 are killed in this deliberate drone strike.

Uncle going full throttle after it got its Davis boy.

"Shukar hey opar walay tunay Qaid ko utha lya warna bohat buri halaat may mooth hojati unke agar woh aaj ka pakistan iske fauj iske airforce iske hakoomat dekhtay"

Qaid tujhe salam aur sorry for my side ham teray mulk ko nahe bacha sakhay!! i m SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and Extremely sorry to all those who sacrifies thr life for this nation!!! (1947)

What the heck...80 ppl? Ridiculous!!! Agreed war has collateral damage...but 80...where's the proof that ALL are terrorists? Everytime I check this site out there will be some thing or the other which amazes me. If one day it's family being wiped out in drone strikes and the other day it would be soldiers!!! Wont Pak lodge a formal protest with the US? Even after lodging they will be back to business ofter a week or so. People blindly blame the Govt and what they fail to realize is army also has an equal role to play...If army itself gives permission to kill..well...i dunno what to tell!! It's high time pak takes some action and wake up...imagine if a single US citizen is killed [god forbid] in Pakistan,what would be the US's response?

I think there is some thing which is happening behind the scenes which is not coming out in the public...else how would a foreign country come and bomb another country [which has one of the finest militaries] at their will??

ye lareengay Bharat aur America say jo drone hamlay nahe rukwasakhtay inko tu chooryaan pehan leni chhayee ub!!

You can say this when you sure that they are against and not in position to stop them, but scenario speaks something different. PA & ISI involved in it and they took combined operations with CIA. Its an other story why they can't stop them if they surly have ability to turn back these drones.

There is PA with PAF unit in US embassy Islamabad operating drones operations & to give safe way for US drones in our airs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom