What's new

8 Bangladeshis executed in Saudi Arabia

Most of the defendants have no defence lawyer, have insufficient hold of the Arabic language to follow proceedings and in many cases are not informed of the progress of legal proceedings against them.

I know this from an acquaintance's experience. It was a really trivial matter. It was govt's fault, all he'd done was buy some dry fruits in Tehran, the customs said some of those seeds were ''illegal'' and took three weeks to investigate, just because he knew arabic he did not have to spend those three weeks in jail, but they kept his passport. When he approached lawyers in case he would be charged, they asked for equilavent of 10 lack INR just to touch the case. And this guy is a wealthy businessman with local contacts.

Imagine the plight of poor laborers. Our govts , in this case BD, should provide them legal assistance in future cases.

So, it was an 'alleged' murder? And they had no lawyers? Wow, talk about human rights in the Middle East :lol:
i have seen some comments on Blogs made by saudi living bangladeshis today on this incident... Everyone supported this execution.... And about Lawyers amnesty generalized that .... They were not talking about this particular incident...

I know this from an acquaintance's experience. The really trivial matter. It was govt's fault, all he'd done was buy some dry fruits in Tehran, the customs said some of those seeds were ''illegal'' and took three weeks to investigate, just because he knew arabic he did not have to spend those three weeks in jail, but they kept his passport. When he approached lawyers in case he would be charged, they asked for equilavent of 10 lack INR just to touch the case. And this guy is a wealthy businessman with local contacts.

Imagine the plight of poor laborers. Our govts , in this case BD, should provide them legal assiatance.

Well immigration in Dubai was pleasant experience for me as I took twice the transit visa from them in the airport. I was surprised to see how much trouble those immigration officer had to go through to manage all those illeterate laborer(i am not saying that to disrespect anybody). The flight I travelled with, there were 100's of laborer who literallay started walking ignoring all the immigration and crossed the desk. The immigration officers had to run and grab them and put them in the line. They did that in a very humane manner.

Regarding the seeds, yes sometimes customs can get really cocky. Even I saw in USA when one of my friends fined 3000 dollar only for carrying a half eaten apple and not declare it properly.

On topic:

This single highly publicized incident was one of the reason Saudis stopped hiring BD worker. I am glad that the episode is finally over. You cut off their neck, hang them with roupe or send them in firing squad, the end result is death. Be it their way, and next time everybody be carefull so that they dont have to face the same consequences. I am sure, English common law that we follow in this subcontinent will award the same punishment for the crime they committed.

well, the problem is, that a person on a 12 hour shift has to see what, thousands of people a day. So, during the first one hour, two hours, he remains calm, gentle, polite, and professional. Then from hour 2-6 he gets a little bit cocky on some people but still does not cross the thresh hold. After that, well, it is really a difficult thing to control your temper.

If these guys didnot get proper representation it is their govt. fault whom these ppl support by sending hard earn money and pay taxes why blame saudi govt.?

Even saudies many times get this punishment, as i wrote many times earlier i was born in saudia if u don't do something wrong u r ok and i livd looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong in this country more then these workers and yes there r workers from our countries who commit crimes and some shameful crimes that i don't want to mention

TARIQ

Well immigration in Dubai was pleasant experience for me as I took twice the transit visa from them in the airport. I was surprised to see how much trouble those immigration officer had to go through to manage all those illeterate laborer(i am not saying that to disrespect anybody). The flight I travelled with, there were 100's of laborer who literallay started walking ignoring all the immigration and crossed the desk. The immigration officers had to run and grab them and put them in the line. They did that in a very humane manner.

Regarding the seeds, yes sometimes customs can get really cocky. Even I saw in USA when one of my friends fined 3000 dollar only for carrying a half eaten apple and not declare it properly.

I think you got me wrong, I was highlighting the difficulties one faces when one is perceived to have done something wrong. This is more when one does not know arabic and cost of hiring lawyers is very very high (my irani friend said don't spend that kind of money just accept the punishment as its useless anyway). Jus think once, how difficult it is for a laborer to get a fair trial, its dificult in our countries, let alone a foreign one.

Yes immigration and customs people are being trained to be polite and professional, but my comment was not about that. Once one is accused, the govts should help them get a fair trial.

Here is the qoute i got from daily star

The Egyptian man was killed during a clash between the Bangladeshi workers and a group of men who allegedly were stealing electric cable from a building complex where the Bangladeshis used to work.

The bd men were trying to protect their livelyhood as they would probably have their salary reduced or even fired if the company found out that some electric cables were missing. Anyway during a clash between two groups, injury or death is usually unintentional, so i think these bangladeshis were deprived a proper trial.

The beheadings bring the number of executions in Saudi Arabia this year to at least 58, more than double than the 2010 figures. Twenty of those executed in 2011 were foreign nationals.

i dont see any discrimination here- 38 executed were saudi nationals- its their law- why cry over 20 foreigners?-

Any way RIP Bangladeshi workers-

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

The Egyptian man was killed during a clash between the Bangladeshi workers and a group of men who allegedly were stealing electric cable from a building complex where the Bangladeshis used to work.

i am dead sure that Egyptian guy was a thief- these sort of warehouse thefts are mostly done by Egyptians- its a well known fact here- its unfortunate for those Bangladeshis that he got killed-

i have seen some comments on Blogs made by saudi living bangladeshis today on this incident... Everyone supported this execution.... And about Lawyers amnesty generalized that .... They were not talking about this particular incident...

Even if they did something bad, they must have had lawyers. It is their right. You can't just bypass human rights like that. And frankly, it doesn't seem like there was any credible investigation.

This is the reason why some of the Middle Eastern countries like Saudi Arabia have a thoroughly miserable human rights record.

offtopic: i met a navy officer somedays ago during a boat trip on bay of bengal... As i was interested in navy i was trying to talk to him.... He said ' it is so costly to operate ships like BNS bangabandhu... It takes almost 20,000 tk to pilot it for couple of hours..... It is operational only because Saudi Arabia gives oil for our navy almost free.... '' God knows what he meant!!

offtopic: i met a navy officer somedays ago during a boat trip on bay of bengal... As i was interested in navy i was trying to talk to him.... He said ' it is so costly to operate ships like BNS bangabandhu... It takes almost 20,000 tk to pilot it for couple of hours..... It is operational only because Saudi Arabia gives oil for our navy almost free.... '' God knows what he meant!!

I think like Pakistan, BD had a pact with Royal familly that if Saudi get attacked BD will send troops.

I think like Pakistan, BD had a pact with Royal familly that if Saudi get attacked BD will send troops.

Dude check out the KSA Military Thread in Multimedia Section. Trust me, they don't need help from anyone and evenif they need help Uncle Sam will be their first obvious choice.

Back
Top Bottom