What's new

7hours & 310km/h, last sunday i(cnleio) just 'flying' half of China by CRH train

riding a slow train is an experience which is surprisingly quite enjoyable. With a couple of friends it can be an adventure

Agree, and I'm not saying slow train is bad. I'm just saying that "saving hotel cost" is a silly reason for riding a slow train. I ride a slow train because it's cheap, but not to save no hotel cost lol. That's because I'm not being demanded to stay outside for X amount of time before I can go home.

We ferry the whole train, and passengers still sitting in the carriages ... i add pics.

I mean it, passenger wagons ( passenger cars )
Actually, I think it's a little risky, because while ferrying the passengers not allowed on board of cars

American has less motivation to have such a Shinkansen, they prefer air passenger as fast means of transport, and cars as hobby.

The US has high speed rail but it isn't popular.

Screen shot 2015-01-26 at 12.21.57 AM.png

240kph Acela

It uses traditional train tracks by leaning into curves. The tracks have not been straightened.

Last edited:
you dont suffer train lag as with jet lag too...

Amazing experience, @cnleio !

It is a shame that I have not done a cross-country in China yet. I once did a cross-country in the US (NY to San Francisco) on AMTRAK. Slow but decent, I should say. I then tried a Greyhound cross-country, this time backwards. It was terrible and I had to cut my travel in half, finish it off on board of a plane.

But China's HSR is another level and given I am increasingly becoming wary of flying, I am more than happy to take HSR whenever there is an option.

I'd only do this if I had a sleeper to myself...seems pretty decent for a train.
2 beds, your own sink, toilet, and shower. Not bad.

Just curious. Does the train run at 310kmh when its raining heavily?

I had been in many China cities before(usually in South China, few in North China), this time due to my personal business i went to HeNan province two weeks ago, then back home i chose the CRH train.

1. If u have internet bank, u can buy CRH ticket on internet.
2. If u have ID card, u can buy it on Self-service Ticket Office of local train station.

All just cost few minutes.
View attachment 186617
View attachment 186619

It is easy with an ID card (the new one i.e. 2nd-generation ID Card / 中华人民共和国二代身份证)

Just
(1) book on-line, pay on-line
(2) use ID card to get through the gate
That's all.

I travel on HSR on a weekly basis
Shanghai sation - Jinan station, 3 hr 21 min, ground distance 915 km, two stops (Nanjing, Xuzhou)
Much better than flying, short check-in/out time, no delays, stations close to down-town.

As the booking for tomorrow as I posted above, jetstar offer several flights a day at that price.
It's not the discount rate.

Special discount rate maybe at 63 RMB = 10 USD for one way
Hmmm.. It is very cheap indeed. But I am wandering still how many people travel by air in Vietnam or can they afford it? If you check the world's busiest airports, Beijing capital airport ranked second with 83,650,000 passengers. I would like to know what is the figure for Vietnam. Also there are 3 Chinese airlines among the largest airlines by fleet size only behind these American ones. We are the world's second largest airline market. What I want to say is that we have all different means to travel, and all these sectors are massive, such as regular railway, and high speed railway, etc. Not to mention our 104,000 km expressway network, which has replaced the U.S. as the longest in the world. You can choose these means according to your budget, just like everyone else do. If you want to ask me can we afford the HSR, I can tell you this is the way to think: just compare the average income between China and Vietnam, then the answer is if you can afford regular trains then we can afford high speed trains. If you think we can't then it means people in your country can travel by bullock cart only. So do you admit this is the case?

Last edited:
Hmmm.. It is very cheap indeed. But I am wandering still how many people travel by air in Vietnam or can they afford it? If you check the world's busiest airports, Beijing capital airport ranked second with 83,650,000 passengers. I would like to know what is the figure for Vietnam. Also there are 3 Chinese airlines among the largest airlines by fleet size only behind these American ones. We are the world's second largest airline market. What I want to say is that we have all different means to travel, and all these sectors are massive, such as regular railway, and high speed railway, etc. Not to mention our 104,000 km expressway network, which has replaced the U.S. as the longest in the world. You can choose these means according to your budget, just like everyone else do. If you want to ask me can we afford the HSR, I can tell you this is the way to think: just compare the average income between China and Vietnam, then the answer is if you can afford regular trains then we can afford high speed trains. If you think we can't then it means people in your country can travel by bullock cart only. So do you admit this is the case?

you misunderstand that "we" don't represent for our country. "We" as you called are not the same, there're people can afford, some others not.

So the meaningful discussion is about how cheap, which cheap, how effective in personal aspect.

As answer for your question, the new T2 passenger terminal in Hanoi Airport just completed has the capacity of 15 million.

It is easy with an ID card (the new one i.e. 2nd-generation ID Card / 中华人民共和国二代身份证)

Just
(1) book on-line, pay on-line
(2) use ID card to get through the gate
That's all.

I travel on HSR on a weekly basis
Shanghai sation - Jinan station, 3 hr 21 min, ground distance 915 km, two stops (Nanjing, Xuzhou)
Much better than flying, short check-in/out time, no delays, stations close to down-town.

How many kgs of luggage can you bring? With the US HSR you are limited to 46kgs. A plane is 46kg for free for the checked luggage and no weight limit for the bag you carry on board.

@cnleio

wow, nice trip! Welcome to Zhengzhou and Henan! This is my hometown. You were there for business?
It's the first time for me to visit ZhenZhou city ... im sure i have chances to go HeNan province again.

Maybe not, i think the CRH train will delay or slow down during bad weather.

How many kgs of luggage can you bring? With the US HSR you are limited to 46kgs. A plane is 46kg for free for the checked luggage and no weight limit for the bag you carry on board.

A good question indeed, I have been traveling on HSR here for >2 years no knowing the limit. I often carry big luggage.

Just check, seems like it is 20 kg for hand carry. More than that needs check-in.

I had an experience during severely bad weather, it slows down to 250 kph

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom