What's new

70 million Iranians using high-speed mobile internet: Regulator

5g is for mobile phones. Fibre is optimal for home and office.

Do they still use ADSL in Iran?

Online games doesnt require high speed internet, and consumes very little bandwidth

But require low latency, and that is one of the advatanges of 5g.

Yes. ADSL remains by far the most common type of internet connection for home users in Iran. MCI is also offering VDSL and FTTx to some lucky users living in areas connected to their optical fiber network but it's not that common yet. A high number of internet users in Iran also use wireless technologies, particularly 4G and LTE.

In some rural areas of Spain and Latin America there are tiny ISP that it uses wifi (5ghz, in long distancies), "WISP".
It's a cheap solution and it can set up by small companies. There are no WISP in Iran?

In some rural areas of Spain and Latin America there are tiny ISP that it uses wifi (5ghz, in long distancies), "WISP".
It's a cheap solution and it can set up by small companies. There are no WISP in Iran?
Internet over optical fiber has low latency too. In fact I think (but I am not sure) that optical fiber is possibly the best medium for broadband communications.

Not that I know of. Internet in Iran is regulated by a regulatory body under the supervision of the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology. You cannot offer internet services without having a legal permit from them. I don't think there is currently any ISP offering 5G to internet users but the news says that soon Tehran will be under the coverage of 5G.

Edit: I think I misunderstood you. Yeah, there are ISPs that offer wireless internet over 5 GHz. In fact I think the technology is older than DSL in Iran. I also remember people used to receive internet through satellites like hotbird, but it was only for receiving data. So, they had to use another internet connection for sending data.

Last edited:

fibre is superior to 5g in every way, and for countries like Iran that doesn’t fully take advantage of 4g, and maybe not even 3g, I don’t see any reason why we should invest in 5g. Seems more like a political move to me.

I have had that in Iran before, it was 8 years ago and the speed was 1-2.5 mbps

when u face 70 GB update in MW in every week. u need it.
Haha. MW updates are a pain in the ***. But In Iran you pay for bandwidth. So you need to sell your house to afford a 70gb dlc Lol.

Edit: I think I misunderstood you. Yeah, there are ISPs that offer wireless internet over 5 GHz. In fact I think the technology is older than DSL in Iran. I also remember people used to receive internet through satellites like hotbird, but it was only for receiving data. So, they had to use another internet connection for sending data.

you could also upload data. I had one of those boxes, the one that was white and green. I don’t remember the name of the company, but it was controlled by sepah

Last edited:
fibre is superior to 5g in every way, and for countries like Iran the doesn’t fully take advantage of 4g, and maybe not even 3g, I don’t see any reason why we should invest in 5g. Seems more like a political move to me.

I have had that in Iran before, it was 8 years ago and the speed was 1-2.5 mbps

Haha. MW updates are a pain in the ***. But In Iran you pay for bandwidth. So you need to sell your house to afford a 70gb dlc Lol.

you could also upload data. I had one of those boxes, the one that was white and green. I don’t remember the name of the company, but it was controlled by sepah
Yup. I agree with you that it's a political move for Iran. The government is not even taking advantage of the speed made possible by 4G.

Most ISPs including Shatel will offer you up to 100 Mbps through wireless access points. It'll end up expensive though.

We are probably talking about different things then. You remember how people watched satellite TVs broadcasted via Hotbird in Iran? Channels like NITV, Pars, etc.? You could buy a PCI card and an internet account to use your satellite dish to receive data. The speed was about 2 Mbps which was a lot for 15-20 years ago when there were still people who used dialup to connect to the internet. lol

Yup. I agree with you that it's a political move for Iran. The government is not even taking advantage of the speed made possible by 4G.

Most ISPs including Shatel will offer you up to 100 Mbps through wireless access points. It'll end up expensive though.

We are probably talking about different things then. You remember how people watched satellite TVs broadcasted via Hotbird in Iran? Channels like NITV, Pars, etc.? You could buy a PCI card and an internet account to use your satellite dish to receive data. The speed was about 2 Mbps which was a lot for 15-20 years ago when there were still people who used dialup to connect to the internet. lol

oh yes. I remember those pci cards, you could hack it and get free paid channels.

ahh. The legendary dial up. You had to attempt to connect 50 times, and when you finally got lucky, someone would call and you would get disconnected.

I remember which box it was now. It’s this one:

upload_2020-7-26_21-39-19.jpeg

Is shatel really 100mbps? Or like dialup when you had 54 kbps max and it would say 100 mbps lol

oh yes. I remember those pci cards, you could hack it and get free paid channels.

ahh. The legendary dial up. You had to attempt to connect 50 times, and when you finally got lucky, someone would call and you would get disconnected.

I remember which box it was now. It’s this one:

View attachment 655584

Is shatel really 100mbps? Or like dialup when you had 54 kbps max and it would say 100 mbps lol
Yup. You could use them to watch paid channels for free as well. However, that method stopped working after a while. Good old times. My friends and I were still in elementary school and we watched Spice Platinum together LMAO God, do I miss those years!

Yup. I remember it took me like 15 minutes to download an MP3 song before 2003 or so. xD

Yeah. Mobinnet is still there. Many ISPs are now offering similar boxes that usually use a SIM card to connect to an LTE network. Some of these boxes can also be used as an SMS gateway to send SMS en mass.

Yup. You can ask Shatel for more bandwidth if you want to, even dedicated bandwidth. We had one of those access points on our roof in our old apartment. It wasn't from Shatel though. We had DSLAM and everything located at our apartment. They can give you even more than 1 Gbps of dedicated bandwidth. Wireless communication is pretty powerful if there are no obstacles between you and the provider and the distance is close.

So 400 racks is going to be the largest datacenter in Iran? The one I work in has 590 racks and it was built in 2007.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom