What's new

6 killed in violence in Assam curfew clamped

I now officially hate you .:rofl:

Better Than a person who writes lengthy post without understanding the issue .
not really .the difference between u guys is that u r inherent book worm.but im more practically oriented.i work on the issue so i ve better understanding of it than anyone of u.

oye hoye patriotic morality ka jhanda uthanay wale aa gaye

Yes my dear, these half baked souls usually look into the hanky after blowing their nose.

Acute lack of comprehension in reading the highlighted sentence but only more focused on the name.

when it says two community then sure it is Hindu-Muslim riots.
Where does it say riots. Two sides(gangs) shoot and kill each other, how is that riot?
It might lead to riots if not handled properly.

Six persons were gunned down and eight others injured in attacks and counter attacks by two communities in Lower Assam's Kokrajhar town where curfew has been clamped and the army kept on standby.

Four cadres of former insurgent outfit Bodo Liberation Tigers (BLT) cadres were shot dead by unidentified persons at Joypur area under Kokrajhar police station of Kokrajhar district last night, police sources said.

In a suspected retaliatory attack, unidentified persons fired killing a 60-year-old man Shahadat Hussain and injured four others in Duramari area under Kokrajhar police station early this morning, the sources said.

A 14-year old boy, Zakir Ali, was stoned to death by unidentified persons in Narabari area of Kokrajhar Road, the sources said.

In yet another attack during the day, four others were injured by armed men in Kodalduha under Fakiragram police station, they said.

The violence was suspected to have been triggered by shooting at and injury to two student leaders, Mohibul Islam, the founder president of the All Bodoland Minority Students' Union and Abdul Siddique Sheikh, the former president of Bilasipara unit of the All Assam Minority Students' Union at Magurbari on Thursday night.

The district administration imposed curfew from 12 noon today to 6:00 am tomorrow in the town and prohibitory orders under Section 144 CrPC in the district, officials said.

Army has been kept on stand-by in sensitive areas and additional security forces deployed, IGP (BTAD) S N Singh said.

The four BLT cadres have been identified as Pradip Narzary, Jungsar Bodo, Jatin Goyary and Dhrubajyoti Goyary.

6 killed in violence in Assam's Kokrajhar town; curfew clamped - Indian Express
Both side's casualty in red font now.

Where does it say riots. Two sides(gangs) shoot and kill each other, how is that riot?
It might lead to riots if not handled properly.

Both side's casualty in red font now.

The only reason i highlighted the part was due to the age of the victim and the violent manner in which he was killed.

A 14-year old boy, Zakir Ali, was stoned to death by unidentified persons in Narabari area of Kokrajhar Road, the sources said.

Situation is still very hot, fingers crossed. And for the un informed its not hindu-muslim, rather bodo-muslim clash.Unfortunately a result of many suppressions suffered by them at BTC.

Violence spreads to other parts of Assam

Kokrajhar (Assam), July 22, 2012, PTI:

Violence in lower Assam’s Kokrajhar spread to neighbouring Chirang district on Sunday where five persons were killed, even as the toll in the group clashes shot up to 17 in the two districts.

Unidentified miscreants hacked to death three persons in Hasrao Bazar of Chirang district this evening, police said.

In another incident in the same district, two persons were shot dead by a gang at Mongolian Bazaar in Bijni town, they said. A vehicle was also set ablaze earlier in the district.

Meanwhile, in trouble-torn Kokrajhar district, a DIG-ranked police official and three others were injured in a mob attack, while the death toll in the district rose to 12 with the recovery of three more bodies.

IGP (Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts) S N Singh told PTI that DIG S Kumar and Kokrajhar Additional Superintendent of Police Amar Choudhury were on their way to assess the situation.

Violence spreads to other parts of Assam

it may be a Bodo -illegal Bangladeshi riot

RIP to the dead. And you are spot on. And I have highlighted the news is from Reuters (so no TOI spun story as some may point out here)

REUTERS: Thousands of people have fled their homes in Assam after fighting between Bodos and Muslim settlers killed at least 19 people, wounded many more, and left villages in flames, police said on Monday.

Police were forced to fire warning shots to disperse armed groups that were moving between jungle hamlets on Monday, setting fire to bamboo houses, police and aid workers in the area told Reuters. Soldiers and federal paramilitary forces were patrolling remote districts.

"We saw miscreants burning down village after village on Monday," said a senior police officer who asked not to be identified. "It's total madness going on here. People have lost their senses."

SN Singh, Assam's inspector general of police, told Reuters he had ordered his men to shoot at gangs on the streets on sight after a dawn-to-dusk curfew was imposed to stop the violence spreading.

Ringed by China, Myanmar, Bangladesh and Bhutan, the northeast is home to more than 200 ethnic and tribal groups and has been racked by separatist revolts since Independence from Britain in 1947.

In recent years, Hindu and Christian tribes have begun to give vent to strong anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim sentiment against Bangladeshi settlers.

Violence triggered by killings

The latest wave of violence was sparked on Friday night when unidentified men killed four youths in the state's Bodo tribe-dominated Kokrajhar district near the borders of Bangladesh and Bhutan, police and district officials said.

In retaliation, armed Bodos attacked Muslims, suspecting them to be behind the killings.

About 50,000 villagers have fled their homes and taken shelter in relief camps out of fear since then, said Donald Gilfellon, a senior civil servant in the Kokrajhar district, adding that 37 camps had been set up to help the refugees and that more would be opened if needed.

"Schools and government buildings are getting over-crowded. More and more people are coming, we have given up counting," said another district civil servant, who requested not to be named.

Police said unidentified groups had fired indiscriminately from automatic weapons in populated areas over the weekend. On Sunday, the body of a six-month-old child was found by villagers on a river bank along with the body of a woman, police said.

On Monday afternoon, hundreds of people carrying spears squatted on the railway line linking Assam's capital Guwahati to New Delhi. Singh said they had stopped an express train for several hours, demanding that the authorities release several men detained in connection with the killings of the four youths.

Businesses, offices and schools remained closed on Monday, and streets were deserted in Kokrajhar town as heavily armed security men patrolled on foot and in mine-proof vehicles.

"We can't think of going back home. Our village is vulnerable to attacks and the government failed to give us protection," resident Hiranya Musaharay said by phone from Kokrajhar town where he was staying with relatives.

Nineteen dead, 50,000 flee as violence grips Assam - The Times of India

Them as in..Bodos or the Bangladeshi migrants ?

The non bodos regardless of migrant or not. But situation is getting worse now. We are awake whole night . We were patroling fearing attack . Nothing happened , thank God.

better have a separate thread for all the riots in india at one place.Btw have you lived through any of the riots?

Small things?How can you say these are small thing which can change the communal fabric of the society for decades to come.
Yes I have lost my uncle in Bombay riots. Rioters killed him by sharp weapons & cut him around 33 to 36 pieces & threw him in roadside dustbin just under Khar-Santacruz subway. I was 2-3 years old at that time. Even government didn't pay any compensation or job to my aunty because we belong to majority religion.

The non bodos regardless of migrant or not. But situation is getting worse now. We are awake whole night . We were patroling fearing attack . Nothing happened , thank God.

So who are the Bodos fighting against now ?

Non-Bodo Indians or Bangladeshi immigrants ?

So who are the Bodos fighting against now ?

Non-Bodo Indians or Bangladeshi immigrants ?

Right now its muslims, but earlier it was ethnic assamese people themselves. Such actions if ethnic cleansing is not justified in my book.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom