What's new

6 Air India planes to be converted AWACS

a) Embraer was blacklisted due to bribery putting the Netra AWACS project into a limbo
b) IAF came up with the excellent idea of combining AWACS with refuelling
c) 6 Air India planes will be sent back to france to add AWACS and refuelling systems - 'win win' for India.

Seriously man, that many awacs? Why so serious?

a) Embraer was blacklisted due to bribery putting the Netra AWACS project into a limbo
b) IAF came up with the excellent idea of combining AWACS with refuelling
c) 6 Air India planes will be sent back to france to add AWACS and refuelling systems - 'win win' for India.

Old news. Threads already exist on this topic when the news came out

Old news. Threads already exist on this topic when the news came out

strange- it didn't come up in the autoresults when you post new threads. So I assumed it was new.
Seriously man, that many awacs? Why so serious?

AWACS are massive force multipliers. Fact is that India is finally beginning to induct in numbers we need to....all because we now have more Indian built weapons. If we bought this, it would be 1 billion a piece (Phalcons). Now since we build them, the cost is a fraction of it and lots of money is spent inside the country itself. So instead of 3, we can induct 10.

the only money france is gettting here is the modification of Air India planes to our specifications. The AWACS System and the Refueling systems were both designed and built in India.
I disagree but the discussions is pointless since you be more patriotic than practical.

the logic is that air bus are European aircraft, France is part of the consortium that make these aircraft. Upgrading the aircrafts to military standard will be very expensive the French will make a killing here, it would have been far cheaper to buy military version of the aircraft with all the military system like jammers, chaff and flare dispensers, military data links etc. preinstalled

the second step would be to integrate Indian manufactured radars and fueling system which would be super expensive again the French would make a killing here

so I still believe having worked with the French That India will pay through the nose for these 6 systems

k

when I said that these agencies study requirements for years and come up with crap, I meant projects like Arjun, Tejas, Insas etc. etc.

So you are saying that AWAC surveillance should be optimized for peace time because most of the surveillance is done in peace time?

please share the “eminent” logic?

a) Tejas will see about 1000 jets of all variants entering IAF. You need to meet a shrink to call a project that sees 1000 units entering a 'filure' or 'crappy'.
b) Arjun spawned many technologies including - a new 1500 BHP engine that will be used for our next tank (FMBT), artillery gun and platform for FMBT. Arjun was not inducted, but we couldn't do FMBT without it

80% of your surveillance is done peacetime, then you need peactime platforms also to keep opex under control. Again- these jets don't mean we give up dedicated refuellers.
I disagree but the discussions is pointless since you be more patriotic than practical.

the logic is that air bus are European aircraft, France is part of the consortium that make these aircraft. Upgrading the aircrafts to military standard will be very expensive the French will make a killing here, it would have been far cheaper to buy military version of the aircraft with all the military system like jammers, chaff and flare dispensers, military data links etc. preinstalled

the second step would be to integrate Indian manufactured radars and fueling system which would be super expensive again the French would make a killing here

so I still believe having worked with the French That India will pay through the nose for these 6 systems

k

1) The specific reason why we decided to take Air India planes and modify them is because it works cheaper than ding these on new jets (which the French wanted)
2) French will make money on customization, but majority of the spends will be in India

Lol, you just posted all your fantasies in one go. IAF has been asking for this for several years. Peacetime surveillance requires less jets in the air at any time and less fuel carriage. Combining these reduces the overall opex for IAF. This is an excellent idea. Instead of having two planes in the air with different loads, you have one jet, one crew handling both missions- saving overall costs.

And after we induct the 1st 6- the next 12 will be easier.....

I'm sure that's the case with Chinese refuellers.

How old are you?

which Chinese refuellers? There are no Chinese refuellers plus AWACs or anywhere else in the world.

At the current production rate, it will take a 333 years to make a 1000 Tejas. If the production rates goes up say to 25 per year, it will still take 40 years to make a 1,000. So by your logic, IAF will be inducting Tejas for the next 50 years or so. BTW IAF had officially rejected Tejas in 2009.

Arjun has a German MTU power pack.

Everything that fails in India is either relabeled as a technology demonstrator or having spawned new technologies. Do you understand this is about everyone including naive people like you to feel good and not accept the harsh reality.

Last edited:
So it's the A-330 aircraft earmarked for conversion into AWACS. Wouldn't this be based on the MRTT by Airbus Industries? If I am not mistaken, MRTT-A330s are Cargo/Refuelers like the IL-76 Midas.

How old are you?

which Chinese refuellers? There are no Chinese refuellers plus AWACs or anywhere else in the world.

At the current production rate, it will take a 333 years to make a 1000 Tejas. If the production rates goes up say to 25 per year, it will still take 40 years to make a 1,000. So by your logic, IAF will be inducting Tejas for the next 50 years or so. BTW IAF had officially rejected Tejas in 2009.

Arjun has a German MTU power pack. Everything that fails in Indian is either labeled as a technology demonstrator or having spawned new technologies. Do you understand this is about everyone including naive people like you to feel good and not accept the harsh reality.

how old are you? 90? At current rate of production we will take 333 years to get 1000 Tejas....which is why we are desperately opening new production lines every year. If you had read the papers, the third production line was opened today.

the types of LCA confirmed and coming:
a) LCA MK1, MK1A
b) MK1 Trainers (about 40)
c) MK2
d) MK2 Trainer (Guessing that will be about 50/60)
e) CAT- I'm guessing that will be about 80 to 100 at least
f) All TEDBFs are generally adaptations of LCA only. All designs are evolutionary

Arjun tank has a german engine because the Indian engine failed. So the project was revived, and a new advanced 1500 BHP engine has already been completed which will be used for all future Indian tanks.

Finally- you don't need to teach us about technology evolution. We know how to handle it well enough. Why do have such a big mouth and try to tell others how to handle their tech? You yourself have a reputation of being only a middling technology power.

Yet another stunning display of competence, transparency and good planning by India.

how old are you? 90? At current rate of production we will take 333 years to get 1000 Tejas....which is why we are desperately opening new production lines every year. If you had read the papers, the third production line was opened today.

the types of LCA confirmed and coming:
a) LCA MK1, MK1A
b) MK1 Trainers (about 40)
c) MK2
d) MK2 Trainer (Guessing that will be about 50/60)
e) CAT- I'm guessing that will be about 80 to 100 at least
f) All TEDBFs are generally adaptations of LCA only. All designs are evolutionary

Arjun tank has a german engine because the Indian engine failed. So the project was revived, and a new advanced 1500 BHP engine has already been completed which will be used for all future Indian tanks.

Finally- you don't need to teach us about technology evolution. We know how to handle it well enough. Why do have such a big mouth and try to tell others how to handle their tech? You yourself have a reputation of being only a middling technology power.

The reason I asked about your age was either you are 10 year old or your brain works at the level of a 10 year old.

Good luck with the Tejas. More the better, for us.

I am not teaching you anything, infact I am learning from you as how not to do things for example combining a refueller and an AWAC.

Desperate move.

Chinese have really disturbed Indian Defence budget by forcing Indian military to spend billions on the Chinese border.

article said 6 air india A330s while air india dont have any A330 . air india leased two A330 from appolo aviation from 2007 to 2014 and returned .

Latest image proposal

IAF A320 AEW AWACS - 202102.JPG

Back
Top Bottom