What's new

5 things you need to know about Jami's upcoming film Moor

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
5 things you need to know about Jami's upcoming film Moor
MEHREEN HASAN — UPDATED about 12 hours ago

557190bb39bd7.jpg

Jami's upcoming Moor will have an Independence Day release — Photo courtesy moorthefilm.com
This Independence Day, audiences in Pakistan will have the chance to witness a cinematic love letter to the motherland.

Directed by Jami, Moor (pronounced 'Mor' and alternatively used for 'mother' and 'the land' in Pushto) has been in the works for a while. Jami began working on the film in 2007 and it sees fruition after nearly eight years, the year after he made his debut as film director with O21.

Packed with action and drama, the film is Jami’s answer to “how we should handle ourselves in a Pakistan where a new drama unfolds everyday.” TheMoor team shared this and more at the press meet held in Karachi yesterday, where the film's latest trailer was shown and website was launched.

1. Moor puts Balochistan's beautiful scenery on the map

In a series of disjointed phrases, director Jami described Moor as “the cure for all hopelessness, a film about Pakistan, which is specifically about trains… (and) about families… (and) how we should handle ourselves in a Pakistan where a new drama unfolds everyday.”

Strangely enough, some people see it as a film about terrorism, shared Jami, but the rest of us can breathe a sigh of relief that we’ll be watching an action drama that doesn’t concern the war against terror.

More importantly, we’ll be watching a film that puts Balochistan on the big screen, a region with unparalleled cinematic value. “Wherever we placed the camera, the framing would be beautiful,” relates Jami, who likens Balochistan’s vistas to the setting of Lawrence of Arabia.

55718c0dc2e34.jpg

“Wherever we placed the camera, the framing would be beautiful,” relates Jami about shooting in Balochistan — Photo courtesy the newly launched moorthefilm.com
When asked why he made Moor in Balochistan, Jami further elaborated that issues in the train network are the worst there. The trains, which are the cheapest form of transport, were systematically shut down by corrupt people, which affected many, many lives. Balochistan thus mattered more, Jami said.

One of the film's most accomplished actors, Abdul Qadir, who's earned a Pride of Performance and several other accolades, summed it up nicely: “'Mor' means mother. We can do so much for our mothers; our land is also like our mother, and we should do every good deed to make its name shine. Jami’s film is one such beautiful effort.”

2. Moor’s making began on a train

The process of making Moor began in 2007 at a time when train issues were even worse than they are today. To write the script, Jami and team decided to travel to Balochistan by train. “The 10-11 hour journey took us two days on a train that had no windows, no bathrooms and barely functioning lights. The engine broke down multiple times, and the diesel ran out just as many. And oh, we couldn’t stand near the door, because “rocket launcher kabhi bhi asakta hai”. We couldn’t have anticipated the serious issues that we saw.”

55718cd760bb4.jpg

The cast and crew of Moor at the press meet — Publicity photo
Shooting in Muslimbagh had trials of its own. Not only was the weather inclement, but they encountered lack of support from security forces who would intervene to tell them it’s not safe. Surprisingly, the 'Taliban' cooperated and even emptied out their headquarters for them to shoot in. “Our crew included girls wearing Western clothes, and nobody cared,” he shared.

3. Moor's final cast is the product of many changes

Moor stars Hameed Sheikh, Samiya Mumtaz, Abdul Qadir, Shabbir Rana, Ayaz Samoo, Soniya Hussain as well as New York-based actor, Shaz Khan, in prominent roles.

This final cast is a product of many changes: Shabbir Rana opted out from the lead role to give room to Hameed Sheikh, who would be able to meet the physical challenges of the role. Shot in freezing temperatures that dipped as low as -14 degrees, the cast (which included Sheikh's sons who play his younger selves) had to shoot their scenes wearing no extra layers. Sheikh was selected after Jami was struck by his entry in the film Kandahar Break, which the two of him were actually viewing to help select other actors from the region. Sheikh didn’t expect to be cast in that process.

Samiya Mumtaz was Jami's first choice for the female lead, but he reconsidered casting her after seeing her then hairstyle, which was a close approximation of Hameed Sheikh's current bald look! Jami had envisioned long, flowing hair for Moor's female lead, but after his second choice walked out, he begged Mumtaz to do the role.

When asked about her seemingly similar roles in Moor and her last film,Dukhtar, Mumtaz replied, “Peechay pahar hain and aur mai aik aurat hoon, us ke ilawa koi similarity nahi hai. (Apart from having mountains behind me, and being a woman, there’s no similarity between the two roles.)"

55718c0d8c4fe.jpg

Samiya Mumtaz considers her role in Moor completely different from the one half of a brave mother-daughter duo on the run she played in Dukhtar — Photo courtesy moorthefilm.com
Ayaz Samoo, who’s known as a stand-up comedian, was cast as a villain in the film in a role that didn’t even initially exist. “Somewhere along the line, Jami bhai decided that Moor needed a wacko, and cast me in the role. For more than a decade, I’ve been stamped as a funny guy, and Jami bhai is the only person to be able to ignore it,” he shared.

The film also gives the opportunity for actors of the region to enjoy the spotlight.

“I’m from a people who know how to live in the mountains, but I can't swim. But Jami was able to make me do it. My fellow actors proved that they are no less than any other in the country,” said Abdul Qadir.

55718cd82ab6c.jpg

Abdul Qadir is one of the senior-most actors from Quetta who will be seen in Moor — Publicity photo
4. The film has a promising soundtrack

Strings were famously roped in to produce Moor's seven-song soundtrack, but yesterday's press meet reminded us that it will also boast the likes of Meesha Shafi, Javed Bashir and Rahim Shah, who's contributed a song in Pushto. Rahma Ali, whom we first heard on Coke Studio's last season, has also lent her vocals to one track (she was asked to sing a song called ‘Chalo Younhee Sahi’ after Anwar Maqsood chanced upon her singing during rehearsals for Sawa 14 August's Islamabad run, in which she played a small part).

Another interesting revelation was that Bilal Maqsood and Faisal Kapadia have sang solo tracks for the film.

Jami doesn't know when Anwar Maqsood volunteered to pen the lyrics for the film's songs, but he does admit driving Bilal Maqsood up the wall with his multiple revisions of the film.

"150 versions of the film were made, which means the music had to be changed as many times. Any other musician would have called it quits, but Bilal handled it. And I don't even know when Anwar Maqsood volunteered to write the lyrics for the film..." The soundtrack seems promising, and we'll get to hear it soon after Ramzan, promised film's producer Nadeem Mandviwala.

5. There was an elephant in the room...

While everyone skirted around the fact that Jami’s debut film O21 was less than well-received, Mandviwala himself assured the press that no one will say that they couldn't understand Moor.

“Jami thinks and talks abstractly. Wo shor sharaba nahi machatay. Zor se baat karte nahi ke meri baat sun lo, bohot piyar se baat kehenge jis may maanay bohot ho gay,” he said.

when is it going to be released?

p.s.

cast is great.

Sorry for being off topic but just curious has anyone seen 'Baahubali' trailer.

Take a look please and give me feedback.
I "ll be happy to know.

Take a look please and give me feedback.
I "ll be happy to know.
yes have seen it ... alot more sensible and different then other regular indian stuff

didn't understand the language but trailer looks great

Please post it.
And let other pakistani friends and let me see it. I think it will be agreater hit and serch for hindi trailer i think it will be available.
I haven't seen it yet.
Thanx in advance mate.

MOOR: BRINGING BALOCHISTAN BACK ON TRACK

02:05 By LollywoodOnline Moor No comments

KARACHI:
Of all those involved in Moor, actor Samiya Mumtaz perfectly summed up the anticipation surrounding the release of the movie: “I think the pregnancy of this film was quite long and with its birth around the corner, it feels quite nice.”

All queries surrounding the releases of the film were put to rest in a press conference held by the team of Moor on Thursday. Shot in some of the most scenic locations of Balochistan, the director of the movie, Jamshed ‘Jami’ Mahmood, described it as a film “about Pakistan”. Mooris set to release in cinemas on August 14.
Having conceived the idea for the film in the pre-Waar days, Jami had initially titled the film as Wahid (One) but changed it to Moor on producer Nadeem Mandviwall’s insistence. Hameed Sheikh, who will be seen essaying the role of a patriarch Wahidullah Khan, recalled how he was accidently cast while showing the work of other actors from Quetta in a British film called Kandahar Break. “Right when I made my entry inKandaharBreak, Jami paused. It’s every actor’s wish to see people watching his performance but Jami just looked at me and went into a different chain of thought, at the end of which he offered me the lead role in Moor,” he said. Earlier, Shabbir Rana was supposed to play Wahidullah Khan but because of the sub-zero conditions and physically-gruelling filming schedule, the director requested him to opt out of the film.
Although Sheikh has major releases like Khuda Kay Liye and Operation 021 under his belt, the opportunity to act in a film about Quetta, Balochistan, was one he couldn’t refuse. “I’m very inspired by spaghetti westerns, Sergione Leone films. I had always wished to preserve the railway tracks of Balochistan so that someone can someday make a movie featuring them,” stated Sheikh. With a cast of local actors, including Samiya Mumtaz, Shaz Khan, Ayaz Samoo, Shabbir Rana, Sonya Hussain and Ayaz Samoo, the Pride of Performance recipient, Abdul Qadir noted how being part of a film such as Moor was a new experience for him.
He compared the people of Quetta to mountains; and like them, they stay where they are. But a director like Jami has brought them out of their comfort zone making them perform tasks they aren’t usually accustomed to. “As people, who live in the mountains, we know how to glide but we do not know how to swim and Jami made me swim,” said Qadir.
When asked to classify Moor as a commercial movie or an art-house film, Mandviwalla, quipped that any movie you invest in, eventually becomes a commercial film. “People make films with a budget of $200 million but not with the intention of a few people coming to watch it. Everyone strives to make a movie which people will watch and appreciate.”
The soundtrack for the film has been composed by Jami’s frequent-collaborator Strings. “We have around 150 (edited) versions for the film and Strings worked effortlessly every time I asked them to change the soundtrack or a score,” said Jami. The music of Moor is expected to release right after Ramazan.

'MOOR' AND 'DEKH MAGAR PYAR SAY' TO BATTLE IT OUT ON INDEPENDENCE DAY

01:09 By LollywoodOnline Dekh Magar Pyar se, Moor No comments

KARACHI: The trailer of Jami’s film Moor made an instant impact on the cinema going audience and on social media when it first came out nearly two years ago. The snowcapped highlands of Balochistan showcased in the trailer depicted a fresh view of the embattled province.
The movie seemed promising. However, much like Waar and many other Pakistani films, so much time has passed between the hype (trailer) and the release, one almost has to revive the memory of the trailer that got us interested in the first place.
Two years of anticipation and tentative dates of release later, Moor is finally slated to hit cinemas on August 14. The film’s official Facebook page had a post stating ‘4th June Press Conference for 14th August launch’ and the news was also confirmed by the film’s PR company. But this time it’ll be joined by Asadul-Haq’s Dekh Magar Pyar Say (DMPS). The needless delay in Moor’s release has bit the producers and distributors in the back. So many Pakistani films are lined up for release on Eid that August 14 appears to be the only possible option left for bothMoor and DMPS. But since Independence Day is falling on a Friday this year, the films will benefit from a long weekend, giving moviegoers three consecutive off days to catch the action.
Due to the glam value added by Sikander Mufti and Humaima Malick, the Hameed Sheikh starrer Moor is likely to take a hit at the box office. The competition will then eventually be between mainstream commercial cinema and art-house film, which will obviously go in favour DPMS. This reminds us of how Na Maloom Afraad and Operation 021clashed at the box office last year with the former turning out to be a surprise package.
However, Moor has its own pinch of masala to offer as the film also features something ‘more’ on the Axact scandal. Insiders in Moor’s team told The Express Tribune the movie includes an Axact case or story, as one of the characters suffers at the hands of the company’s illegal practices. Whether the producers have named the company is not apparent. Neither is the nature of the story. Yet, it is sure to add that extra zing to the film’s appeal.
A tweet by Jami on May 20 confirmed the plot point. “As we don’t stay quiet we got a legal notice few months back as we knew what they do at Axact. Here it is,” read the director’s post on the microblogging site. Attached was a picture of the legal notice sent under Section 8 of the Defamation Ordinance 2002, claiming damages of Rs500 million. Though the notice itself accuses Jami of slanderous tweets, Jami has not shied from including an expository take on Axact’s practices in the film.
Produced by Nadeem Mandviwalla, Moor is shot mainly in the Pashtun-dominated belt of Balochistan, with most scenes filmed in Muslim Baagh, Khanozai and Shelabagh. The remaining sequences are shot in Karachi. The storyline is based on the closure of the Zhob Valley railways in 1984, showing how a family is affected by growing corruption in the system. The film stars Hameed Sheikh, Samia Mumtaz, Shaz Khan, Nayyar Ejaz, Ayaz Samoo and Abdul Qadir.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom