What's new

42% of underage married girls from Pakistan

With so much of noise and cry all around the country for stricter rules to safeguard women, I hope some of the men are digging a grave for themselves.

I hope these rules and laws are made so that they reach the people in need and not for those who make it a habit to miss use them.
@Andromache @KRAIT. There are also downsides to all these if the rules are implemented, dont forget to address those issues also.

Last edited by a moderator:
there had been some reverse changes.

About two decades back people started disliking marrying off at early age specially the middle class in Pakistan even for boys and focused on employment and education. many families started educating their daughters and went for career orianted subjects but then it resulted in a significant number of unmarried over-age girls.

The tide reversed and now even parts of Pakistan where underage marriages were not prevailent has started marrying off at age of 18 to 22

NGOs or not. it is a reality.

Sir 18 to 22 is not an early age and this is happening only in Pakistan that is funny it happening more in India and in other Asian and African countries and it is worse in Europe only difference is that they don't marry other wise girls are becoming mothers at the age of 12 too and 16 17 they do every thing which is done in marriage

With so much of noise and cry all around the country for stricter rules to safeguard women, I hope some of the men are digging a grave for themselves.
I hope these rules and laws are made so that they reach the people in need and not for those who make it a habit to miss use them.
But the major issue is not even highlighted by any media or youth brigade. Do you know teenage girls are kidnapped and sold by their parents and pushed into prostitution. Since it happens in villages, slums and small towns, remote regions like NE, poor region of India, no one ever thought about it and even now no one is focusing on it.

People and even SC has proposed legalizing prostitution which will create more such kidnappings and selling of girls.

There is a whole other hell which is within our cities and society but we never look at it.

People look at safety of their own daughters, sisters, wives and mothers of their family and don't pay heed to prostitutes who are forced into it, as they think Prostitute don't deserve our help.

They are raped everyday, beaten and violently harassed by their customers as they can't do the same to their gfs, and wives.

We need this aspect to be covered too.

I hope these rules and laws are made so that they reach the people in need and not for those who make it a habit to miss use them. @Andromache @KRAIT. There are also downsides to all these if the rules are implemented, dint forget to address those issues also.
Yeah, Many of those cons have been discussed in other threads. I may have to find out my posts regarding it.

there had been some reverse changes.

About two decades back people started disliking marrying off at early age specially the middle class in Pakistan even for boys and focused on employment and education. many families started educating their daughters and went for career orianted subjects but then it resulted in a significant number of unmarried over-age girls.

The tide reversed and now even parts of Pakistan where underage marriages were not prevailent has started marrying off at age of 18 to 22

NGOs or not. it is a reality.

Who is denying early age marriages but 42 % of whole world early age marriages that is a joke and a lie

Sir 18 to 22 is not an early age and this is happening only in Pakistan that is funny it happening more in India and in other Asian and African countries and it is worse in Europe only difference is that they don't marry other wise girls are becoming mothers at the age of 12 too and 16 17 they do every thing which is done in marriage

if you had seen i did NOT comment on age factor yet because every country every society has own yardstick for considering under age or suitable age for marriage.

all i support good eduction/ good health for a girl to take care of the new role in a better way.

i dont see why should we even mention India or for that matter mars for our issues.

you are right in West they support child birth/ sextual activities for even 16 years old or say 14 and only oppose legal marriages at this age. I feel they oppose it not for the health purposes but for avoiding fulfilling monetary aspects of a legal marriage.

Whereas in Subcontinent (India-Pakistan-BD) etc etc when a boy gets married he is responsible for fulfilling all such requirments and work for it.

Who is denying early age marriages but 42 % of whole world early age marriages that is a joke and a lie

Yes they can be wrong because as far as i know the person who spoke on behalf of CRSD is a considred a shadowy person by many here. people here seen and accused him of indulging in politically motivated propaganda and fund attaining for tranishing Pakistan.

so the data can be manipulated.

@Andromache Teenage pregnancy has been major phenomenon in West too. Kids indulge in physical intercourse even in age of 13 years and above. Situation is same but the reasons are different.

@Andromache Teenage pregnancy has been major phenomenon in West too. Kids indulge in physical intercourse even in age of 13 years and above. Situation is same but the reasons are different.

i know thats why their reasons to block a legal marriage and allow the same activities for the same underage youth outside marriage/ have failed to convince even educated families and thus the reverse changes.

The figure is unbelievably high in my opinion I would like to know how exactly Blue Veins determined this figure of 42% of underage marriages in the world take place in Pakistan. Then they had a figure for marriages in rural areas and urban areas, how did they determine these figures for last year? Did they check all the marriage records or estimate the number of underage marriages? Did they bother checking in the same detail underage marriages in the other 192 countries of the world?

Figure seems too high, I don't believe it unless a more reputable source will well researched credentials can substantiate this figure. I suppose in other countries young people just don't even bother to get married and have children out of wedlock. Would be interesting to see number of children born out of wedlock by country and which countries contribute x percentage.

If 42% of underage marriages in the world are in Pakistan then what is the percentage of underage marriages in Pakistan alone? Presumably by this logic figure could be potentially higher than 42% or just fall below half way mark in Pakistan alone.

The figure is unbelievably high in my opinion I would like to know how exactly Blue Veins determined this figure of 42% of underage marriages in the world take place in Pakistan. Then they had a figure for marriages in rural areas and urban areas, how did they determine these figures for last year? Did they check all the marriage records or estimate the number of underage marriages? Did they bother checking in the same detail underage marriages in the other 192 countries of the world?

Figure seems too high, I don't believe it unless a more reputable source will well researched credentials can substantiate this figure. I suppose in other countries young people just don't even bother to get married and have children out of wedlock. Would be interesting to see number of children born out of wedlock by country and which countries contribute x percentage.

The figure is false can't else accept anything else from these NGOs who gets their money from USA and other enemies of Pakistan 42 % of whole world early age marriages I am finding it hard to control my laughter

The figure is false can't else accept anything else from these NGOs who gets their money from USA and other enemies of Pakistan 42 % of whole world early age marriages I am finding it hard to control my laughter

Even if it is 42% We know most of the underage marriage is being conducted and arranged by our bhagharat village people who continously are an embarassment to the nation, so I wouldn't expect to be impressed by them any time soon not the last year nor this new year.

At least it is contained mostly in their backwards community, and not all over the nation. No wonder they will stay in poverty.

Dude, 42 % for a middle sized country with 2 % of the world's population .Incredible stats. Didn't know it was this big in Pakistan.

It is a common thing in rural pakistan dude. Is aw a documentary in Al Jazeera on paksitan under age marriage where they were telling similar things

In India marrying a girl below 18 is a criminal offense ... the girl's parents get booked under IPC and can result in imprisonment.

In news papers there are stories about the Police acting on a tip off and raiding such illegal marriage ceremonies and rescuing the girl and arresting the Baratis.

Any how such marriages are null and void.

Even if it is 42% We know most of the underage marriage is being conducted and arranged by our bhagharat village people who continously are an embarassment to the nation, so I wouldn't expect to be impressed by them any time soon not the last year nor this new year.

At least it is contained mostly in their backwards community, and not all over the nation. No wonder they will stay in poverty.

24% in rural pakistan and 18% in urban (riazhaq's favorite) pakistan...

PESHAWAR: More than 60 million girls around the world were married under the age of 18 last year, out of which 24% were from rural Pakistan and 18% from urban areas, said Blue Veins Programme Coordinator Qamar Naseem at a seminar.

Civil society organisations came together on Tuesday to highlight the issue of child marriages and the role of Union Councils in this regard. The seminar was held under the umbrella of Action Aid in collaboration with Blue Veins and Citizen Rights and Sustainable Development (CRSD).

Naseem added that if child marriages continue at this rate, an additional 100 million underage girls will be married within the next decade. “That is 25,000 new child brides every day for the next 10 years,” he said.

A large number of civil society members including lawyers, government officials, teachers and members of non-governmental organisations and community-based organisations attended the seminar.

Poverty plays a central role in causing and perpetuating early marriage. “Poor families often have few resources to support healthy alternatives for girls, such as giving them proper education,” he added.

Idress Kamal

In families with limited resources, child marriage is often seen as a way to provide for a daughter’s future. However, girls who marry young have more chances of remaining poor.

Early marriage thwarts a girl’s chances of acquiring education, endangers her health and cuts short her personal growth and development, participants said.

The risk of death for pregnant girls under the age of 15 is five times higher than for women in their twenties. Taken together, the costs of this practice are too high to be ignored. Societies cannot progress when the common practice of marriage dooms them to a life of poverty,” he said.

A religious scholar Maulana Ghousul Kabir expressed his views about early marriages in light of Islam. He said that Islamic law does not sanction child marriages and urged religious clerics to come forward and clear the ‘myth’ that surrounds this issue.

During the session, child marriage survivors also shared their testimonies with the participants and helped them understand how the issue reduces women empowerment.

CRSD Director Idress Kamal said that child marriage has affected many women. “The problem with early marriages is that the bride is immature herself. If she gets pregnant, she is usually underweight and malnourished. Her pregnancy causes many complications, and health risks for the babies in these cases are also high,” he said.

“If a girl is married off at an age when she herself should be playing with dolls, how can she handle a baby or go through delivery?” he questioned.

An Action Aid member, Alia Rasheed, said that gender discrimination is the main reason behind marrying daughters at an early age. “While birth of sons is celebrated, daughters are often seen as burdens.”

42% of underage married girls from Pakistan – The Express Tribune

Lol express tribune is being used by Indians to share their rape shame.

BS and untimely news, as usual from a Indian propaganda press in Pakistan.

Lol express tribune is being used by Indians to share their rape shame.

BS and untimely news, as usual from a Indian propaganda press in Pakistan.

the OP is a pakistani... also, Indians do not need to hide their shame on India's rape statistics from Pakistanis since Pakistan has 22% higher instances of per capita rapes than India..

PS: Does not take away the utter shame I feel at the rape statistics of India (as every self respecting Indian should). Its just that both India and Pakistan are in the same boat as far as this evil is concerned and one laughing at the other just does not make any sense....

Back
Top Bottom