What's new

4 supercomputers from India in world's fastest 100

its India man....thats my answer....huge claims will always exist...

i am myself a lil skeptical about 2017 time....i guess 2020 seems to be a more realistic deadline....

as far as petaflop capability is concerned...i guess India is gonna gatecrash the club in 2014 by my best estimates....

as far as starting 4 years ago....well India since its independence has been having "5 year plans"....every 5th year the fund allotment is done for everything....the 11th five year plan ended in 2012....and heres the 12th five year plan in which (officially) the supercomp will be developed

every huge investment is according to the "five year plans"

"five year plan" is for projects forecasting into the future decades, not for the short-term "5 years" man!

I don't get it. Why Pakistan isn't in top 500. Shouldn't NUST's super computer be in top 500 with a peak speed of 132 tera flops?

Nust launches Pakistan’s fastest supercomputer – The Express Tribune

Brother, the top 500 list contains supercomputers running in 'petaflop' speeds. The supercomputer in the bottom of that list is running with at least 190.5 max petflop speed. On the otherhand, our supercomputer is in teraflop range.

Long way to go for Pakistan to achieve just 1 petaflop speed supercomputer. These beasts drink electricity like water.

FLOPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"five year plan" is for projects forecasting into the future decades, not for the short-term "5 years" man!

well in India they are mostly interpreted as plans for resource allotments (in this case...funds)

and exascale computing is def a project forecasting into the future decades....

well in India they are mostly interpreted as plans for resource allotments (in this case...funds)

and exascale computing is def a project forecasting into the future decades....

we have different aspirations and execution of our governments' "5-year" plans then.

on a side note, a supercomputer could consume several million dollars worth of electricity a year!

we have different aspirations and execution of our governments' "5-year" plans then.

as a side note, a supercomputer could consume several million dollars worth of electricity a year!

yup....true...India has had very few forward thinking leaders since independence....most of them meddle only with current affairs

yup....true...India has had very few forward thinking leaders since independence....most of them meddle only with current affairs

well that is something you guys have to mull over not to say we dont have our own problems

well that is something you guys have to mull over not to say we dont have our own problems

getting a lil philosophical here...

i think too much of negativity and pessimism has blocked the progress...and mentality of people has become that way...go read any Indian newspaper or watch news...analyse the amount of positive and negative news....u will find that mostly negative news hogs the headlines....

people have become pessimist for every damn thing which is a sign of losing hope (which is why i hate Indian media)....

why do you think indians here go gung ho even for a lil development news??....coz such news is hardly highlighted and is very rare....

I don't get it. Why Pakistan isn't in top 500. Shouldn't NUST's super computer be in top 500 with a peak speed of 132 tera flops?

Nust launches Pakistan’s fastest supercomputer – The Express Tribune

Sir, Assembling a supercomputer is a very costly affair and unless there is enough use for it, their is no point in having such costly showpiece. One use for such machnies especially in developing agriculture based economies is Rain and weather forecasting provided accurate mathematical modes are developed.
btw i found a link of old news sharing some information on Pakistan's efforts for such development.
ISLAMABAD: In an impressive ceremony held here on Tuesday at its Research Centre for Modeling and Simulation (RCMS), National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) inaugurated its fastest supercomputing facility.

The ceremony was presided over by Chairman Higher Education Commission Dr Javaid R. Laghari. While highlighting some of the unique features of this state-of-the-art computing facility, recently acquired by NUST through financial grant by Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST), Govt of Pakistan, Principal RCMS Engr. Sikandar Hayat informed the audience that the Super Computer installed in NUST was the fastest GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) based parallel computing system operating in any organization / academic institution in Pakistan till date.

This supercomputer can perform parallel computation at a peak speed of 132 Teraflops i.e. 132 Trillion Operations per second.

It is equipped with multicore processors and graphics co-processors with inter-processor communication speed of 40 Gbps.

Besides its extensive utilization in the computation-intensive research projects in the areas of Fluid Dynamics and Biosciences, this massively parallel facility can also be utilized to handle huge data processing applications of social sciences such as Flood and Weather Forecasting, Oil and Gas Exploration, energy efficient building designs and transportation management at national-level.

The chief guest in his address appreciated the efforts of the entire team associated with the project and encouraged all institutions to come forward and benefit from this massive computational facility acquired by NUST.

He also assured full support by HEC in this regard.

Rector NUST Engr. Muhammad in his welcome address shared his strategic vision and thoughts. He specifically mentioned that acquisition of this supercomputing facility would be a source of inspiration for our valued PhD scholars abroad to return to Pakistan.

This will have an impetus on the collaborative research between universities and other research organizations in country and abroad. Dr Imran Akhtar, the key note speaker, gave a highly motivating and thought provoking talk on the occasion. He encouraged the young researchers to come forward and exploit the facility at its maximum by using their domain knowledge and expertise in computational science in solving the national challenges in the areas of engineering, bio-informatics, political science, psychology and social sciences.
NUST unveils Pakistan?s fastest super computer - DAWN.COM
nust-supercomputer-ceremony.jpg

it is you who declared the $2 billion spending on a 132 exaflops. Where the rest of the world has declared that? Now who is the exhibitionist?

We have planned our fifth gen fighter jets since 2002, first flight took off 2011
You claim your exaflop in 4 years time while at present you top dog does not exceed 1 petaflop

You will get your praise when you have earned it!

Buddy please, we boast to ourselves so don't be petty and bring ur leg between.
And please no one knows exhibitionism as better than the Chinese. J20 better than F22, who claims that????
Now don't tell me that is no exhibitionism.

LOL so you think that the $2 billion from the budget was segregated yesterday after you read the news? Use the little amount of ur faculties.The plans might have been there for a long time.

We don't need your approval or your praise, we are doing our stuff and if it irks you so much then go burn in a corner for all we care.
Why is it so hard for you to believe we can do something when in fact we don't see a sign of shuttler when a news of a successful Indian endeavor takes rounds?

Buddy please, we boast to ourselves so don't be petty and bring ur leg between.
And please no one knows exhibitionism as better than the Chinese. J20 better than F22, who claims that????
Now don't tell me that is no exhibitionism.

LOL so you think that the $2 billion from the budget was segregated yesterday after you read the news? Use the little amount of ur faculties.The plans might have been there for a long time.

We don't need your approval or your praise, we are doing our stuff and if it irks you so much then go burn in a corner for all we care.
Why is it so hard for you to believe we can do something when in fact we don't see a sign of shuttler when a news of a successful Indian endeavor takes rounds?

so much of incapable cheerleading rant

show us your petaflops first before you brag again out of your knee jerk impulses!

We are crowned no 1 supercomputer of the world the second time
USA has been crowned many times
Japanese are also good at it
UK Germany France Italy Russia S Korea are strong contenders

fix your electricity grid and drainage system first cheerleaders!
It costs several millions just for the electricity bill! can you afford it?
Where do you find the billion dollars when your rupee is diving in deep sea

so much of incapable cheerleading rant

show us your petaflops first before you brag again out of your knee jerk impulses!

We are crowned no 1 supercomputer of the world the second time
USA has been crowned many times
Japanese are also good at it
UK Germany France Italy Russia S Korea are strong contenders

fix your electricity grid and drainage system first cheerleaders!
It costs several millions just for the electricity bill! can you afford it?
Where do you find the billion dollars when your rupee is diving in deep sea

Oh yawn the money has already been sectioned your denial won't prove anything.
You keep saying no coz you are just pissed, or why did you have to come all the way from your hate India threads to here?
Why not? If the iDataPlex can be made in a relatively lesser development cost then $2 Billion for ISRO is more than acceptable.
Keep talking coz unfortunately for you we too are a BRIC nation so yes we can afford it.
And again why not we had the 4th fastest supercomputer back in 2007 when China was in 59th.

Oh yawn the money has already been sectioned your denial won't prove anything.
You keep saying no coz you are just pissed, or why did you have to come all the way from your hate India threads to here?
Why not? If the iDataPlex can be made in a relatively lesser development cost then $2 Billion for ISRO is more than acceptable.
Keep talking coz unfortunately for you we too are a BRIC nation so yes we can afford it.
And again why not we had the 4th fastest supercomputer back in 2007 when China was in 59th.

I am not pissed at anything
again let us see your petaflops first and I wonder how many people could believe your 132.8 exaflops in 4 years time apart from the cheerleaders!

again let us see your petaflops first and I wonder how many people could believe your 132.8 exaflops in 4 years time apart from the cheerleaders!

whether 4 or 7 years

one thing is for sure.. we will build it... and you will not post once in that thread..

Correction only we will see, you won't be present to "comment' when we do succeed.

whether 4 or 7 years

one thing is for sure.. we will build it... and you will not post once in that thread..

you or the whole cheerleading india should change your handles to "timetrouble"! your big wigs called 2017! Is that a problem for you already?

Do you think everyone is sleeping while you are leggoing your superduper computer!?!

Correction only we will see, you won't be present to "comment' when we do succeed.

indians cheer the whole day on picking up a cent by the gutter
that's how you cheerleaders call "succeed"

by the end of 2017, lets see the finale of the indian cheerleading circus. I wont miss it!

Back
Top Bottom