What's new

37pc Baloch favour independence: UK survey !

Armstrong

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
37pc Baloch favour independence: UK survey

Ansar Abbasi
Monday, August 13, 2012
From Print Edition

ISLAMABAD: A Gallup survey for the UK international official body, DFID, conducted on July 20, revealed that the support for an independent Balochistan is not popular even amongst a majority of the Baloch population.

The survey reveals that among the Baloch, 37 percent favour independence whereas among the Pashtun population only 12 percent favour that option. The results of the survey have not been made public.

The vast majority, according to the survey, opposes the idea of an independent Balochistan. However, 67 percent of the people of Balochistan, including Baloch and Pashtuns, support greater provincial autonomy.

The survey says that 79 percent of the Baloch population and 53 percent of Pashtuns support the idea that the people of Balochistan should have greater control over their political affairs.Balochistan, which is generally a combination of Baloch and Pashtun tribes, through this survey reflects Pashtuns’ tilt to national mainstream as against the recent years increased tendency of Balochi separatism.

The survey also covers the situation in Fata and shows that 41% of the people of Pakistan see Fata as less peaceful than before. As to who enjoys greatest influence in Fata, 29% think military, 20% believe local, 13% see federal government, 12% think US while 26% say others i.e. Taliban, political parties, NGOs and Afghan Taliban.

About the perception of militancy, the survey said that militancy continues to be perceived as high threat in Pakistani society but the perceived causes of terrorism have shifted from militants to other factors like access to weapons, poverty, poor governance and rule of law.

According to the survey, 31% think that poor governance is the reason for terrorism and militancy, whereas 23% hold terrorists responsible for the same. 17% think poverty produces terrorists, while 11% believe that weak rule of law is the cause of terrorism and the same percentage sees this problem because of the availability of weapons.

On the foreign policy front, the survey shows that the balance has shifted from Taliban to Nato for creating hurdles for better relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

To a question as what is the most significant difficulty between Pakistan and Afghanistan, 34% said the difficulty is Nato while 27% shifted the blame on Taliban. In 2011, greater number of people saw Taliban as the difficulty but in 2012 Nato emerged as the major villain.

The survey shows that 65% of the people support Pakistan’s role as peacemaker in Afghanistan.

The survey also reveals that the image of Afghan Taliban continues to be negative but is improving as 30% see them as a terrorist group, 26% take them as Islamic fighters, 24% think they are ignorant of Islamic values and 16% think they are a political group. Last year 31% saw them as terrorists, 22% saw them as Islamic fighters and 12% took them as a political group. Similarly though still small (19%) but rising number of Pakistanis see Taliban as the next power in Afghanistan.

The survey also reveals that 90% Pakistanis oppose drone attacks while only 3% support them.

About India, 73% believe that the Indian government is bad. However, 62% think that the relations between Pakistan and India are improving as against 42% in 2011 and 23% in 2010.

The survey says that desire to normalise relations with India makes dramatic shift.

The survey also covers the image of UK and DFID in Pakistan. It says that the image of UK is positive and has improved also in Pakistan.

SOURCE : 37pc Baloch favour independence: UK survey - thenews.com.pk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest...I was both relieved to hear that as much as 67% of all Baloch want to stay with Pakistan and want greater provincial autonomy but I was deeply saddened because I realize that 37% is still not a small number !

Additionally I was perplexed to know that as much as 12% of the Pukhtoons from Balochistan wouldn't want to stay with Pakistan ! I didn't know there were any such demands amongst them.

37% may seem a lot but its not great when considered in numbers. Majority of these are those suppressed by the sardars for decades in the most impoverished areas of the Balochistan province. When they demanded rights from Bugtis , Mengals and Marris who by the way always have enjoyed power and devoured 9% of national development funds on luxury - they turned the guns to the public and blamed the govt instead.

We can change all of this through spreading what sardars hate the most "education."

Don't fall to their heinous trap. Today they say 37% and we say "you see, were we not right" and tomorrow they will change figures to 73% and what would you say? Lets be wise please, we don't need these surveys to know who wants what. Baluchistan has foreign sponsored terrorism.. cut throats of who get their salary in Indian Rupee and $US and count yourself to find how many want what.

I have very strong reservations about this present POLL, its revelations and authenticity. Can you imagine ~48% Pakistans would be finding America as their enemy? I would say After OBL, Raymond Davis, Afia, Drones and Killings of our uniformed Soldiers, not even 1% would have positive opinion about USA, let alone 50-52% which this poll suggests.

One simple request to all forum members, don't fall to this trap. Pakistan can itself find what is the %age of people asking what and we have sincere concerns about them. And can we also show one big MIDDLE FINGER to a beautiful country called UK as a token of thanks?

37% may seem a lot but its not great when considered in numbers. Majority of these are those suppressed by the sardars for decades in the most impoverished areas of the Balochistan province. When they demanded rights from Bugtis , Mengals and Marris who by the way always have enjoyed power and devoured 9% of national development funds on luxury - they turned the guns to the public and blamed the govt instead.

We can change all of this through spreading what sardars hate the most "education."

I doubt this number

its huge

too huge

when German Nazi party started gaining power it only had 10% active support of Germany
rest was just nationalism
the idea is too out shout the rest

Baluchistan , as it is is multi ethnic.. take out 87 % that have nothing to do with active militancy and its political branch that gives interviews to foreign news media from their posh accommodations at home and abroad.

a more realistic figure is less than 10% and only 3 or 4 % is active in militancy.. the total estimate of terrorists like BLA/ Jundullah is from 3 to 4 thousand maximum.

the biggest perpetrators of injustice to Mari and Bughti tribes are some of the tribal chieftains themselves. it is they who have caused so many Balouch to seek shelter in Punjab and Sindh. for Kulper Bughtis e.g. most of these so called independence seeking chieftains are as good as dogs dinner

sham survey...sham stats....
Baluchistan is unbreakable part of Pakistan and will stay like that..

no its not sham

its valid

might have taken place in one of the plush accommodations in Quetta. my cousin used to publish a weekly paper, he has printed a few surveys and predictions of doom in the past. too bad his paper didnt sell much and had to be shut down. but he got a double cabin Toyota out of that deal while he was publishing the stuff
#

but dear we need to look about our discrepancies ,
we need to give special attention to OUR BALOCH people ,
time is running out very quickly ....
we say balochistan is OUR but do we treat it as our part ,
our focuss of development are few cities and part of PAKISTAN , rest is neglected ...
no time for talks , take practical steps to save BALOCHISTAN ,

Well,i have seen a group and they regularly post the news related to baluchistan and many times i observed dat those news never came in media or come after 2-3 days....PAF do strikes in areas of B'stan n many innocents get killed but it never came in media...
i feel dat pak army or intelligence hides a lot from dat areas and never let the news come out..

Well,i have seen a group and they regularly post the news related to baluchistan and many times i observed dat those news never came in media or come after 2-3 days....PAF do strikes in areas of B'stan n many innocents get killed but it never came in media...
i feel dat pak army or intelligence hides a lot from dat areas and never let the news come out..

What legitimacy could be given to the groups claims?
What if they are under false ID's?

Unless a proper commission investigates.. it will be the myth of two million massacred and the likes of you jumping for mud slinging. However..this does not take away from the fact that there is a large percentage of the Baloch that have now been convinced that the killings and disappearances are being done by the agencies of Pakistan...since they are unwilling to consider that fellow baloch would even engage in such acts.. nor do they find proof of an outside element.

but dear we need to look about our discrepancies ,
we need to give special attention to OUR BALOCH people ,
time is running out very quickly ....
we say balochistan is OUR but do we treat it as our part ,
our focuss of development are few cities and part of PAKISTAN , rest is neglected ...
no time for talks , take practical steps to save BALOCHISTAN ,

blackmailers always want more

brothers? what brothers.. these people have no honour
they violate the Baloch traditions themselves and have violated the women of their rival tribes
they collect protection money from local companies and they collect money from Govt
they kidnap both the civilians, officials and foreigners

the issues of common poor Baloch are no different from a Punjabi, Sindhi or Pashton

if these fckers think they are having a hard time in their air-conditioned resorts in Dubai and Switzerland then they should try Waziristan and other tribal agencies.

Pakistan Army has refused to carry out any kind of an operation in Balochistan as they are working to build bridges..rather it has been demanding that there should be a political solution to the politically motivated upheaval which is largely exploited by terrorist organizations on the payroll of the enemies and ill-wishers of Pakistan.

Nor is PAF doing a single strike in the Province; check your facts before peddling lies please

So should Kahmiris, Bodos, Tamils, Sikhs, Assamese, Bengals and the other 21 states budding for independence.....see ya' later! (Not)

ouch!! :lol:

What legitimacy could be given to the groups claims?
What if they are under false ID's?

Unless a proper commission investigates.. it will be the myth of two million massacred and the likes of you jumping for mud slinging. However..this does not take away from the fact that there is a large percentage of the Baloch that have now been convinced that the killings and disappearances are being done by the agencies of Pakistan...since they are unwilling to consider that fellow baloch would even engage in such acts.. nor do they find proof of an outside element.

Well his moderator was baloch and fYI,i also gave him reference of this website.I told him to explain his point here.
Trust me yaar...i asked same Qn to him..how u get to know abt that ? and many times he posted the numbers of deads in blast in various regions of paksitan and he was right...He said..note the time when i post the news and note the time when u will hear that news in media

As per them,if paksitanis kill our 10 den we will kill 10 in punjab ...or in ur northern regions...
and they posted news wid pics too which ur media couldnt even provide.
To be frank,you do wrong things there and they get ur soldiers down...and they are ready to be the slave of U.s or india rather than pakistan...

Now there are multiple moderators of dat grp..and few indians too...well,he did dat to get sympathy frm indians :lol:

I doubt this number

its huge

too huge

when German Nazi party started gaining power it only had 10% active support of Germany
rest was just nationalism
the idea is too out shout the rest

Baluchistan , as it is is multi ethnic.. take out 87 % that have nothing to do with active militancy and its political branch that gives interviews to foreign news media from their posh accommodations at home and abroad.

a more realistic figure is less than 10% and only 3 or 4 % is active in militancy.. the total estimate of terrorists like BLA/ Jundullah is from 3 to 4 thousand maximum.

the biggest perpetrators of injustice to Mari and Bughti tribes are some of the tribal chieftains themselves. it is they who have caused so many Balouch to seek shelter in Punjab and Sindh. for Kulper Bughtis e.g. most of these so called independence seeking chieftains are as good as dogs dinner

no its not sham

its valid

might have taken place in one of the plush accommodations in Quetta. my cousin used to publish a weekly paper, he has printed a few surveys and predictions of doom in the past. too bad his paper didnt sell much and had to be shut down. but he got a double cabin Toyota out of that deal while he was publishing the stuff
#

Irfan Baloch,

I don't know weather the poll has 1% of 100% validity, my concern is about the people who are conducting this survey and kind of pitching us to accept that. We don't need surveys from people who are against our National Integrity and Interests. They are supporting terrorists and protecting most wanted BLA terrorists by offering them POLITICAL ASYLUMS in UK. Do you really think they will be doing a service to Pakistanis by projecting polls and surveys like that?

Of the population of 8 million in Balochistan, about 5 million are non-Baloch, including Pashtuns (40%), Brahui (20%) and a mix of Sindhi, Punjabi, Seraiki and Hazara.

The remaining 3 million Baloch are spread into 150 tribes which are further subdivided into clans. Of the 150 tribes, only two tribes are waging war against the state, the Bugtis (approximately 100,000 people) and the Marris (approximately 250,000 people).

Furthermore, not all sub-clans of these tribes are at war. For example, the Kalpar Bugtis who have been targeted for not joining the rebellion, amount to almost 70,000 people of the Bugti tribe.

Their leader Khan Mohammad and his sons were killed on the orders of Akbar Bugti. Another Bugti sardar of the Masuri sub-clan was abducted, kept in prison, and humiliated by shaving his beard, eyebrows and moustache. The Kalpar Bugtis do not have fond memories of Akbar Bugti, and famously recount him as saying: “What’s better than seeing your enemies driven before you (are dead) and then taking their women to bed”?

It is pertinent to note here that the estimated number of ‘active combatants’ and ‘supporters’ is only 2,000-3,000, who are involved in anti-state activities such as running terrorist camps.

What Drives American Policies and Strategic Aims in the Region? | Pakistan Defence

Back
Top Bottom