What's new

36-hr nonstop hartal from Sunday

Al-zakir

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fri, Jun 10th, 2011 11:46 am BdST

Dhaka, June 10 (bdnews24.com)—BNP and its main ally Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami have called a nonstop 36-hour lockdown across the country from Sunday morning, the second in eight days.

The opposition parties announced the protest programme, to be enforced from 6am on Sunday to 6pm on Monday, from separate media briefings at their party offices in the city on Friday morning.

They called the general strike to protest the government plan to annul the non-party caretaker government system and the 51 recommendations of the special parliamentary committee on constitution amendment in parliament.

The parties enforced a daylong general strike on the caretaker government issue on June 5.

BNP acting secretary-general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir at the news briefing said the shutdown was declared also to protest against government bids to remove "faith in almighty Allah" from the constitution, 'worsening relations with the Muslim world', high price of essentials, deterioration of law and order, gas-power-water crises and failure to stop stocks debacle. [/COLOR]

Jamaat acting secretary-general A T M Azharul Islam at its briefing at Moghbazar headquarters said the shutdown was called to press home their 14-point charter of demands.

The government was abolishing the caretaker government system to prevent its 'certain debacle' in the next general elections, Azhar said. "The government is trying to make Bangladesh a 'religion-less' state in the name of constitution amendment."

A faction of Islami Oikya Jote headed by Fazlul Haque Amini at a press briefing has extended support to the lockdown.

Central Olama Mashayekh from a rally at Baitul Mokarram on Friday noon also announced a 12-hour countrywide shutdown from 6am on Sunday protesting the government plan to erase "faith in the almighty Allah" from the constitution. The special parliamentary panel, formed last year, submitted the recommendations in parliament on Wednesday. The suggestions include annulment of the caretaker government system.

On the same day, BNP chief Khaleda Zia held emergency meetings with the party's standing committee and the like-minded parties.

BNP has been demanding that the next general elections be held under non-party interim government and warned that it would not take part in any polls if those are held without caretakers overseeing them.

Referring to the May 10 Supreme Court judgement repealing the 13th amendment to the constitution that had introduced the caretaker provision, prime minister Sheikh Hasina on May 31 said there was no scope to retain the system.

She, however, on Wednesday urged the BNP to discuss the crucial issue in the House and find out a better alternative to the unelected government system.

The apex court in its judgment also said the next two general elections could be held under unelected rulers and gave parliament the liberty to decide the issue.

BNP is pressing the government for full implementation of the court verdict.

OUT OF HARTAL PURVIEW

Fakhrul said hartal will not be enforced in areas where Union Parishad polls would be held on Sunday.

Ambulances, fire-fighting vehicles, city corporation's garbage-collection vehicles, media vehicles, food shops, pharmacies and hospitals would also remain out of the purview of the hartal, he added.

BUDGET USELESS

Jamaat said the proposed budget for the 2011-12 fiscal year was an ambitious one and it would not solve the "financial crisis of the people".

Azhar said the government's increased dependency on banks, as proposed in the budget, would fuel inflation, further adding to the people's woes.

He also criticised the proposal to widen the indirect tax ceiling.

The BNP in its reaction on the proposed budged on Thursday evening said the proposed budget did not reflect people's hopes and aspirations.

Speaking to reporters, party's standing committee member M K Anwar expressed his doubts over the implementation of the budget proposals.

"According to the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific and the Centre for Policy Dialogue, the average growth rate of Bangladesh for the current fiscal will be 6.2 to 6.3 percent, but the government claims it to be 6.7 percent. It's not believable," he said.

bdnews24.com/sm/si/kt/pks/sht/bd/1410h

1. Removal of"faith in almighty Allah"
from the constitution,

2. Worsening relations
with the Muslim world

3.High price of essentials

4.Deterioration of law and
order.

5.Gas-power-water
crisis

6.Failure to
stop stocks debacle.

I SUPPORT 36 HOURS HARTAL.

AL called for this Hartal literally. I support the Hartal but not 36hrs thats just disastrous for the economy.

AL called for this Hartal literally. I support the Hartal but not 36hrs thats just disastrous for the economy.

i may sound like idiot. . But believe me i desperately want middle east like uprising against these indian ChamchaS... I can't wait anymore. . . .

I agree about the economy part but what other option left on the hand of BNP and it's allies? I do not recall any mass demonstration took place in the country against our present constitution then why was it necessary for Awami to change something that doesn't require any change? Bangladeshi Muslim can not allow this maloon minded government to change the fundamental principals of the constitution. :undecided:

I support this Hartal and more should follow until this maloon step down from office. Awami lost all credibility to admin the country. Let see if their Hindu master can save them from the wrath of Muslims. :smokin:

BNB, razakar and jamati stooges want to take BD into stone age they can't see BD developing and doing everything bad for BD. Shame on them. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

BNP is playing well with their non-violent protests, they should keep it that way. Patience is the key.

1. Removal of"faith in almighty Allah"
from the constitution,

2. Worsening relations
with the Muslim world

Before I was spectacle. Now I am positive that la-Hasina and Awamis top leaders are kafir because kafir doesn't believe in Allah. People who support Awami league should think about this basic concept. I think many will open their eyes after this kufri approach by Awami malaoon league.

BNB, razakar and jamati stooges want to take BD into stone age they can't see BD developing and doing everything bad for BD. Shame on them. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

So people who has their trust in Allah will take Bangladesh to stone aged?

BNP is playing well with their non-violent protests, they should keep it that way. Patience is the key.

offtopic: a popular dialogue in Bangladesh movie by villain Dipjol is ''sunday monday close koira dimu'' .... BNP AND JAMAT is going to do it lol :p

The previous hartal of June 5 received mass support although there were hardly any BNP-Jamaat picketers to enforce the strike. Shows that the people are fed up with the AL.

thanx a lot. . You think a lot for the betterment of Bangladesh.. Now please stop being worried about us and start thinking what surprise BNP and Jamat got in their bag for India. . I am bored telling about those 16 bsf dead bodies. . Want new story . . !! :p

Interesting that you say "into the stone age" :lol:

The AL is not popular at the moment. Unless you are an Indian of-course :rofl:

My advise to India is: Don't throw the entire bag into one party. That is the mistake they are making.

thanx a lot. . You think a lot for the betterment of Bangladesh.. Now please stop being worried about us and start thinking what surprise BNP and Jamat got in their bag for India. . I am bored telling about those 16 bsf dead bodies. . Want new story . . !! :p

Actually 200-400 BSF dead in 2001 border incident.

offtopic: a popular dialogue in Bangladesh movie by villain Dipjol is ''sunday monday close koira dimu'' .... BNP AND JAMAT is going to do it lol :p

Main architect of that killed Major General Fazlur Rahman with BNP-Jamat alliance. He wasn't treated right after the heroic event. He should have been awarded with highest honor. BNP need to make up next time around. :tup:

Back
Top Bottom