What's new

3,600 Crores later Akash Missile Fails Tests

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
3,600 Crores Later, Made-In-India Akash Missile Fails Tests, Says Auditor
The Akash and its newer variant, the Akash Mk-2, are a medium-range surface-to-air missile system designed to intercept enemy aircraft and missiles at a distance of 18-30 km.
All India | Written by Vishnu Som | Updated: July 28, 2017 18:41 IST

akash-surface-to-air-missile_650x400_51501245740.jpg

The Akash was produced by the state-run Bharat Electronics.

NEW DELHI: As many as a third of the home-made Akash surface-to-air missiles have failed basic tests, says the country's national auditor, claiming the deficiencies of the missiles "posed an operational risk during hostilities."

The report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) is a big setback for the Make-In-India initiative which seeks to reduce India's dependence on imported arms. The report, given to parliament, says, "the missiles fell short of the target, had lower than the required velocity, and there was malfunctioning of critical units."

The Air Force has refused to comment on the report.

The Akash was produced by the state-run Bharat Electronics. The auditor says that though 3,600 crores have been paid to the manufacturer, none of the missile systems are installed at the six designated sites even though it has been seven years since the contract was signed.

The Akash and its newer variant, the Akash Mk-2, are a medium-range surface-to-air missile system designed to intercept enemy aircraft and missiles at a distance of 18-30 km. Tested extensively by the Indian Air Force, the Akash, which was first handed over in December 2008, was seen as a breakthrough indigenous system and in 2010, an additional six squadrons were ordered.

These additional squadrons, composed of missile launchers, radars, associated vehicles and hundreds of Akash missiles, were meant to be deployed at six air force bases in the East for which the government approved related infrastructure including storage facilities, workshops and ramp structures. These were supposed to be constructed by Bharat Electronics on a turnkey basis at a cost of approximately 100 crores. However, this infrastructure "could not be completed till October 2016 at any of the sites." The auditor also says though work was nearly complete at two bases, the "IAF had not taken over these buildings because of defects in the construction, which rendered them unsuitable for strategic missile system storage. In other stations, the progress was below 45 per cent as of October 2016".

While the missiles were indeed delivered to air forces bases between April 2014 and June 2016 after a delay of between 6 and 18 months, the missiles were found to be deficient in quality. According to the auditor, "Out of 80 missiles received upto November 2014, 20 missiles were test fired during April-November 2014. 6 of these missiles, ie, 30 per cent, failed the test."
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/3-60...kash-missile-fails-tests-says-auditor-1730496

WOW ..... that is pretty serious $hit.

I wonder if any heads would roll of will it be business as usual.

I'm not reading the usual lines by the fan boys that 'this is just a ploy to get more funds'.... i guess that excuse can't be exercised here since this is a report by Comptroller and Auditor General. (CAG)
What next....does Pakistan even has a CAG. :lol:

3,600 Crores Later, Made-In-India Akash Missile Fails Tests, Says Auditor
The Akash and its newer variant, the Akash Mk-2, are a medium-range surface-to-air missile system designed to intercept enemy aircraft and missiles at a distance of 18-30 km.
All India | Written by Vishnu Som | Updated: July 28, 2017 18:41 IST

akash-surface-to-air-missile_650x400_51501245740.jpg

The Akash was produced by the state-run Bharat Electronics.

NEW DELHI: As many as a third of the home-made Akash surface-to-air missiles have failed basic tests, says the country's national auditor, claiming the deficiencies of the missiles "posed an operational risk during hostilities."

The report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) is a big setback for the Make-In-India initiative which seeks to reduce India's dependence on imported arms. The report, given to parliament, says, "the missiles fell short of the target, had lower than the required velocity, and there was malfunctioning of critical units."

The Air Force has refused to comment on the report.

The Akash was produced by the state-run Bharat Electronics. The auditor says that though 3,600 crores have been paid to the manufacturer, none of the missile systems are installed at the six designated sites even though it has been seven years since the contract was signed.

The Akash and its newer variant, the Akash Mk-2, are a medium-range surface-to-air missile system designed to intercept enemy aircraft and missiles at a distance of 18-30 km. Tested extensively by the Indian Air Force, the Akash, which was first handed over in December 2008, was seen as a breakthrough indigenous system and in 2010, an additional six squadrons were ordered.

These additional squadrons, composed of missile launchers, radars, associated vehicles and hundreds of Akash missiles, were meant to be deployed at six air force bases in the East for which the government approved related infrastructure including storage facilities, workshops and ramp structures. These were supposed to be constructed by Bharat Electronics on a turnkey basis at a cost of approximately 100 crores. However, this infrastructure "could not be completed till October 2016 at any of the sites." The auditor also says though work was nearly complete at two bases, the "IAF had not taken over these buildings because of defects in the construction, which rendered them unsuitable for strategic missile system storage. In other stations, the progress was below 45 per cent as of October 2016".

While the missiles were indeed delivered to air forces bases between April 2014 and June 2016 after a delay of between 6 and 18 months, the missiles were found to be deficient in quality. According to the auditor, "Out of 80 missiles received upto November 2014, 20 missiles were test fired during April-November 2014. 6 of these missiles, ie, 30 per cent, failed the test."
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/3-60...kash-missile-fails-tests-says-auditor-1730496
Mk 2 version still in testing phase this article is flawed

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/02/akash-next-generation-missile-to-be.html?m=1

This article main focus of no completion of given tender on site for operational of these missiles

Is that a bad figure? what do you think is Spada his rate....?

those 6 failed that test ?

CAG won't accept a 70% rate. They will always push for 100%. Their job is to audit. You will never find a report where they're happy with anything.

I'm not reading the usual lines by the fan boys that 'this is just a ploy to get more funds'.... i guess that excuse can't be exercised here since this is a report by Comptroller and Auditor General. (CAG)

Pakistan doesn't have a CAG, everyone knows.

Auditors also taking notes of old tests and recent Akash tests are quite successful.

Also 24000 crores of Akash are in order. If we fire two Akash against one target it means a hit for sure. :D

But but Pak Missile are China Maal they Indians Mijail is Best

In last 20 years not even a single North Korean and Pakistani test failed. Thats alien technology.

No you dont, because all of your tests are successful better than Russia and USA. hehehe... Your entire system is on bluff.

As expected Indians as predictable as darkness...:D
You chatterers have to descend on PDF and then tell us what we do or don't have. :lol:

yeah but....you don't have a CAG dude...it's probably important. Imagine if, just if...I know it's far from reality, but JUST IN CASE....JF 17 turns out to be a lemon.....don't you want someone to point it out buddy. I'm not saying it is...but what if? :D

Plus what if India turns out to be somewhat more powerful than Pak. I know hat can never bu, if what if there is a remote chance India is a little more powerful than Pak? won't you wanna know :enjoy:

70% success (including initial failures) according to CAG (for which everything is bad, spend more money on defense) is quite good.

In last 10 tests all of them were successful.

yeah but....you don't have a CAG dude...it's probably important. Imagine if, just if...I know it's far from reality, but JUST IN CASE....JF 17 turns out to be a lemon.....don't you want someone to point it out buddy. I'm not saying it is...but what if? :D

Plus what if India turns out to be somewhat more powerful than Pak. I know hat can never bu, if what if there is a remote chance India is a little more powerful than Pak? won't you wanna know :enjoy:

If they have CAG , it will vanish within months as no one can criticize the 'defence establishment'. :D @Windjammer

Back
Top Bottom