What's new

2021 DxB Air Show

@Trailer23
...i wish you would make documentary types of videos. If you recall once both the ISPR and DMA use to release them covering particular subjects. {I.E Induction of F-16s and F-7s in PAF.....old but gold as an example}. I was hoping some follow up to the following by the gentleman but still no joy....something for you to possibly think about and work on.
I have plenty of ideas. One being something similar to NETFLIX's: Drive To Survive

But i've dealt with both ISPR & recently PAF DMA. Its just not possible with those people, especially when you're not in their region/vicinity.

A Documentary requires hours of footage and in todays World, HD clips. Have you seen some of our old clips?

One needs interviews without the flashy furniture at someone's residence.

And finally, the people who make the decisions most commonly ask, "What are your qualifications/credentials?" and "We can do it better than you. Leave it to us."

My stuff is merely fanboy stuff (which I have no issues accepting), but its to entertain the masses. In order to educate the masses, one needs clearance & zero interference.

mos there a picture or close up video of Jf17 block three poster with specs 🤓 ?? Full view other the. Partial pic shared ?
Sir,
The gates for the Air Show opened at 10:00 on Sunday. I was in at 10:15 & went straight to PAC/PAF.

You see the stage where everyone is standing, I wasn't really allowed to get up there. Had a pretty dreadful experience with guys there.

I knew that they won't have anything on the Block III in form of a flier OR brochure.

So, I asked for the JF-17B (Dual-Seater). Nothing!

They had one brochure, which had like everything stuffed in one & the JF-17B covered in it. Yes, I said they had just 1 (one), which they said they couldn't give away, but I could take pics of it.

I was like, "Its okay, i'm sure we have more on [PDF]."

Last edited:
Sharp procurement team when it comes to buying equipment for their pilots.

Most are operationally decent, and some are exceptionally brilliant. On the whole, from ex-PAF pilots who have written the course syllabus for their OCU phases....the Emirati fighter pilots have above average motor skills, with the cockpit environment not being challenging for them.
And lately they have had more females in their fighter squadrons, 2 on Mirage 2000-9s and 3 on F-16s. One of them was most recently the OC of a Viper squadron.

It is their capability in combat that was of question in the past. Desert Storm or whichever op at the time in 1991 was their first exposure to combat.

Overall at the airshow, you can see how they performed from their aerobatics teams, F-16 demos and Mirage 2000-9 demos. I personally know both Mirage 2000 demo pilots and could tell they were clearly smart lads, not the typical "inshallah" Emirati locals.

They copy the Pakistanis as well, and the Paks are more than happy to kiss back
how would you compare them with the Saudi Pilots

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Akh1112 @Hodor @iLION12345_1 please see post #
That’s something called AOTD and basically what it does is just detect the target so the missile knows whether it’s close enough to explode. It’s your equivalent of a proximity fuse
Looks pretty big compared to the proximity sensors on other WVR missiles, I thought they were adding small thrusters similar to those on the PAC-3 for even more extreme terminal maneuvers

BTW, this is the design (TVC exhaust and large mid-body thrusters) for the Hard Kill DAS missile being developed by MBDA. With its advanced Sensor, it can shoot down long range enemy BVR missiles in a self defense mode. The missiles are smaller then regular WVR missiles. Pakistan should look into a way to carry 2-4 of these smaller missiles per JF-17 for self defense against Meteors and other enemy missiles.

1637517898231.png

Standard WVR missile in the foreground and HD DAS in the background (basically the size of manpad missiles from the looks of it. I think the Turks are working on something similar.
1637518146215.jpeg

Last edited:
@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Akh1112 @Hodor @iLION12345_1 please see post #

Looks pretty big compared to the proximity sensors on other WVR missiles, I thought they were adding small thrusters similar to those on the PAC-3 for even more extreme terminal maneuvers

BTW, this is the design (TVC exhaust and large mid-body thrusters) for the Hard Kill DAS missile being developed by MBDA. With its advanced Sensor, it can shoot down long range enemy BVR missiles in a self defense mode. The missiles are smaller then regular WVR missiles. Pakistan should look into a way to carry 2-4 of these smaller missiles per JF-17 for self defense against Meteors and other enemy missiles.

View attachment 795846

Standard WVR missile in the foreground and HD DAS in the background (basically the size of manpad missiles from the looks of it. I think the Turks are working on something similar.
View attachment 795847

Its an optical seeker, but thats really all i know as theres no info on it.

Sir,
The gates for the Air Show opened at 10:00 on Sunday. I was in at 10:15 & went straight to PAC/PAF.

You see the stage where everyone is standing, I wasn't really allowed to get up there. Had a pretty dreadful experience with guys there.

I knew that they won't have anything on the Block III in form of a flier OR brochure.

So, I asked for the JF-17B (Dual-Seater). Nothing!

They had one brochure, which had like everything stuffed in one & the JF-17B covered in it. Yes, I said they had just 1 (one), which they said they couldn't give away, but I could take pics of it.

I was like, "Its okay, i'm sure we have more on [PDF]."

Any idea about the increase in internal / external fuel
In block 3 ,they were busy entertaining foreign delegations vs public ?

There is no public days at event ?

B4E14902-C936-4909-B194-F2199D13D3A9.jpeg
22BCDE8C-D385-4F4A-A732-308A3E6E6032.jpeg

Any idea about the increase in internal / external fuel
Nothing.

It looked like all the guys there were clueless 'cause they only knew about the Super Mushak.
In block 3 ,they were busy entertaining foreign delegations vs public ?
Don't get me started.

Its was more like, if someone knew someone - they'd be entertained.

I obviously did, but didn't want to play that card.
There is no public days at event ?
Back in the days, the DxB Air Show used to have a VIP Day that wasn't for the Public.

But now, since the 2003 Air Show, all 5 Days are for the Public.

Fact: We just weren't prepared. Half-@ssed effort by PAC.

I also wanna point out the guys at CATIC weren't all that great either. Nor were the US Contractors like Lockheed Martin, Collins Aerospace, Raytheon etc.

Maybe it was a pandemic thing.

I also wanna point out the guys at CATIC weren't all that great either. Nor were the US Contractors like Lockheed Martin, Collins Aerospace, Raytheon etc.

Maybe it was a pandemic thing.

DxB is not an important airshow compared with Farnborough or Paris - hence all the vendors put in less effort.

DxB is not an important airshow compared with Farnborough or Paris - hence all the vendors put in less effort.
That is NOT entirely true. Yes, DxB Air Show doesn't have the same rich history compared to Farnborough or Paris, but Emirates didn't become the largest operator of the B777 & a380 by placing orders in those cities.

DxB Air Show is the 3rd Largest Air Show, but the largest orders in Aviation History have been placed here on number of events with Emirates, Etihad, Qatar & others placing big-big orders.

Military hardware is a different topic because its more of taking an interest & approvals from various Governments. Had that not of been the case, the UAE would easily place orders for the F-35 - with ease.

However, the DxB Air Show has lost its charm as less & less companies are participating. Displays are getting smaller. Aerial Displays aren't all that great, as the focus is primarily on Commercial-related stuff.

Its getting harder to visit Test-Aircrafts as I had to go through a buddy at BOEING to get me an invite to check out both the B777X & the Alaska Airlines B737-MAX (eco).

Frankly speaking, I certainly preferred the Air Show at Dubai International Airport, compared to Dubai World Central (Airport).

Vendors putting in less effort - was a first (here).

That is NOT entirely true. Yes, DxB Air Show doesn't have the same rich history compared to Farnborough or Paris, but Emirates didn't become the largest operator of the B777 & a380 by placing orders in those cities.

DxB Air Show is the 3rd Largest Air Show, but the largest orders in Aviation History have been placed here on number of events with Emirates, Etihad, Qatar & others placing big-big orders.

Military hardware is a different topic because its more of taking an interest & approvals from various Governments. Had that not of been the case, the UAE would easily place orders for the F-35 - with ease.

However, the DxB Air Show has lost its charm as less & less companies are participating. Displays are getting smaller. Aerial Displays aren't all that great, as the focus is primarily on Commercial-related stuff.

Its getting harder to visit Test-Aircrafts as I had to go through a buddy at BOEING to get me an invite to check out both the B777X & the Alaska Airlines B737-MAX (eco).

Frankly speaking, I certainly preferred the Air Show at Dubai International Airport, compared to Dubai World Central (Airport).

Vendors putting in less effort - was a first (here).
Next time need access to B777X, ping me.

And I agree, the DXB International venue was great. I was living behind RWY 30L at Mirdif, and had the takeoff & recovery views of the airshow from the balcony. That was spectacular at the time.

Next time need access to B777X, ping me.
Naw, I was able to get in both - just had to call in a favor.

Not much to look at inside either as they were test a/c. Flight Deck for the B777X is nice with similarities to the B787 (Dreamliner).

Speaking of which - I know its a stretch, but PIA should go for for the B787 if they ever opt for a future wide-body.

I went aboard the Gulf Air B787 & I seem to like it a whole lot more than the a350. Maybe i'm just biased...

Would be nice to have a JF-17 simulator similar to the L-15.
I recall last show they had a similar one for F-16/21 inside a room with limited access.
We should at least bring that if the actual plane is not there.

I recall last show they had a similar one for F-16/21 inside a room with limited access.
It was the last Air Show (2019) and the Sim was of the Block 70.

There is a F-21 Simulator which was not brought down here - and has yet to be made public. But a former USAF Pilot, who was the Test Pilot at Lockheed Martin showed me the Simulator on his cellphone.

He said, that LM was planning on taking it for Aero India 2020, but I suppose that never happened due to the Pandemic.

And I don't recall PAC/PAF ever brining any Simulator to any DxB Air Show in the past.

Back
Top Bottom