What's new

20 most decisive battles of the world.

I am anything but learned in such topics as this, but havent these religion-centric battles been decisive in shaping the present day world order? And by that I mean the geo-politics of the middle east and its impact on the rest of the world.

You do have a point. But only battles relating to one religion are cited. If I made a supplementary list of religion-centric battles relating to other religions which have shaped today's world order, it would make interesting reading.

Sher Ali really has stirred up the pot. :angry:

Joe my main problem is i'm useless at chinese and korean military history.Good at japan though.You might have to do yourself.And still waiting for you to show up on historum.

Sorry. Will be there right away. :blink:

The battle of Stalingrad is an awesome tribute to the sheer will power and spirit of survival of the Russian people against all odds. If one country is to be credited for the defeat of Germany in WWII, it was Russia or rather the USSR as it was known then. The turning point was definitely the Battle of Stalingrad. The encirclement and destruction of the German Sixth Army at Stalingrad along with other setbacks in Russia really broke the back of Germany which then was in no position to contest either the Allied advance from the West or the Russian advance from the East.

In the Enemy at the Gates, only one facet of the battle at Stalingrad, that is, the extensive use of snipers by both sides, was dealt with.

Though Stalingrad's importance can't be overestimated but in my opinion, once the Wehrmacht failed to take Moscow in 1941, it was always going to be a battle of attrition from that point on.

Indeed typhoon was a clear turning point.

Guderian writes that the repulse at rostov while moscow was being atatcked in centre was 'the writing in the wall'

Indeed typhoon was a clear turning point.

Guderian writes that the repulse at rostov while moscow was being atatcked in centre was 'the writing in the wall'

I would disagree to this. Typhoon was a decisive battle, whose success may have crippled Stalin. But the real turning point was Operation Uranus. Before that German Field Armies though badly mauled were largely intact. And Russian strategic reserve and military organizations were still being reformed. During the preparation of Operation Uranus Russian Military build up the strategic reserve necessary to neutralize German Armies and reformed their military structures to suite modern operations.

During Typhoon no major German formation was annihilated as did happen during Uranus. This was a most devastating blow to the German Military yet suffered and possibly never fully recovered form.

What is the significance of Hastings? Can you elaborate on how the current world is influenced by the Normans?

What is the significance of Hastings? Can you elaborate on how the current world is influenced by the Normans?

Whom did you address this to? I, too, would like to see the answer; not that I doubt its strategic value, but I would like to compare my thinking with that of another.

THE most ironic & weirdest part in history is that NO one learnt the lesson of Russian winter! be it Napoloen or the Germans in World War 1 or Hitler. the russian winter slayed all! and brought down the downfall of all of them.

Whom did you address this to? I, too, would like to see the answer; not that I doubt its strategic value, but I would like to compare my thinking with that of another.

Sir, what would be your view on this? I have little information on this so yours and Austerlitz's views would be very welcome.

The language you are posting in

THE most ironic & weirdest part in history is that NO one learnt the lesson of Russian winter! be it Napoloen or the Germans in World War 1 or Hitler. the russian winter slayed all! and brought down the downfall of all of them.
In WWI the Germans knock out the Russians ( The also played a big part in Russia becoming the "Soviet Union."

Sir, what would be your view on this? I have little information on this so yours and Austerlitz's views would be very welcome.

I have to think it through, but I was really hoping for a post by Austerlitz or somebody similar. Their posts are usually the type one can keep chewing over for days afterwards. Juice has made an interesting but very brief comment, however.

Though Stalingrad's importance can't be overestimated but in my opinion, once the Wehrmacht failed to take Moscow in 1941, it was always going to be a battle of attrition from that point on.
Even if Germans were taking Moscow they still were losing. WW2 was battle of industries. USSR managed to evacuate their industries to Ural, so they could keep fighting and fighting.

The biggest mistake of Hitler was that he started mobilisation of industries only in 1942 as result Germany reached max production only in 1944, when everything was over.

Even if Germans were taking Moscow they still were losing. WW2 was battle of industries. USSR managed to evacuate their industries to Ural, so they could keep fighting and fighting.

The biggest mistake of Hitler was that he started mobilisation of industries only in 1942 as result Germany reached max production only in 1944, when everything was over.
I definitely agree with you, World Wars are practically battle of attrition in the long run. Whoever had the most Industrial and Manpower output won in the last. Regarding Moscow, I never thought losing Moscow would have brought Stalin's downfall. Russia lost Moscow during 1812 campaign of Napoleon, it did not break the nation. Russians are resilient people, they would have fought on.

partially you are correct BUT the major thing was that initally germany was succesful but once the winter set in the army was ill equipped for winter. in terms of clothing guns & tanks.

partially you are correct BUT the major thing was that initally germany was succesful but once the winter set in the army was ill equipped for winter. in terms of clothing guns & tanks.

It was not merely winter. Hitler's misadventure in Kiev slowed Army Group Center's drive to Moscow, and gave Russian's enough time to consolidate defences around Moscow. It's a combination of Winter and Russian resistance which stopped the Germans, we should not take away the Russian efforts.

Back
Top Bottom