What's new

2 More User Trials of Akash by IAF Today

I think what he reported is true.Akash has some ABM capability.this missile probably follows the approach just like Russian ABM systems like A-35 and A-135,which uses Nuclear Warhead to destroy Ballistic Missile.though,I don't know how much it is applicable for a medium ranged SAM like Akash.

read this..........

Akash was also tested in ballistic missile role and offers air defence missile coverage of 2,000 square kilometres.

It can carry conventional and nuclear warheads weighing up to 60kg. The integration of nuclear warhead allows the missile to destroy aircraft as well as warheads released from ballistic missiles. It can operate in all weather conditions.

ARDE built the nuclear warhead while HEMRL produced the propellants.

Akash Surface-to-Air Missile (SAM) System - Airforce Technology

ABM-35 was developed to counter multiple nuclear tipped ICBMs with a single high yield nuclear warhead.for Akash's case,it'll probably use tactical nuclear warhead to destroy incoming nuclear warhead in short range.
So Akash is also an ABM? A SAMs technology like the short range Akash is totally different from an ABM's technology. There's no comparison. Confusion confounded!

So Akash is also an ABM? A SAMs technology like the short range Akash is totally different from an ABM's technology. There's no comparison. Confusion confounded!

its more like a desperate attempt to stop an incoming nuclear warhead.

lets take a hypothetical case.

a cruise missile/BM armed with nuclear warhead is coming towards Delhi and previous attempts to stop that missile isn't fruitful.then which one you'll prefer??a 1 megaton nuclear bomb at the heart of Delhi and 10 millions dead or a controlled tactical nuclear explosion which will deactivate the missile with low yield explosion and probably a few thousands home will lose electricity and other electric home appliances and some form of radiation shot(also,probably few thousands of KIA if the intercept was at low altitude).

there is a reason why this kind of missiles developed in the first place.in War,there is no concept of "No Casualty" or "Textbook Approach".Russia resorted to High Yield Warhead to stop multiple High Yield Missiles.one of such warhead would take Russia to Stone Age,destroying every form of electronics of a vast area.but it would be better choice over a nuclear winter and tens of millions of dead.

@OrionHunter

USA too used similar approaches...

their first ABM was Nike Program which used High yield Nuclear Weapon.but to make if more effective,they too used short ranged Sprint Missile,which used W-66 warhead(Nutrino Warhead modified for this role,less X ray and Blust effect).this missile was even shorter legged than Akash,though it had 2X speed.

Sprint (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
A nuclear capable surface to air missile??? :woot: WTF? The warhead of the Akash is fitted with a high-explosive, pre-fragmented warhead with proximity fuse. You don't need a nuke warhead to blow up planes in the sky, for crying out loud!! Next, some idiot journalist will say the Akash is MIRV capable!! :hitwall:

Or am I missing something here? :what:
it will contaminate the sky, hence any plane within the radius will die of gas radioactive poisoning

A nuclear capable surface to air missile??? :woot: WTF? The warhead of the Akash is fitted with a high-explosive, pre-fragmented warhead with proximity fuse. You don't need a nuke warhead to blow up planes in the sky, for crying out loud!! Next, some idiot journalist will say the Akash is MIRV capable!! :hitwall:

Or am I missing something here? :what:
you missed it bro. Akash does carry a nuclear warhead. It produces a far more powerfull explosion capable of knocking down ballistic missiles. Some other nuke warhead sams:
MIM-14 Nike Hercules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RIM-8 Talos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you missed it bro. Akash does carry a nuclear warhead. It produces a far more powerfull explosion capable of knocking down ballistic missiles.
These missiles carrying nuclear warheads are primarily for ABM role and not anti-aircraft. Akash is purely an anti aircraft missile with a conventional HE warhead, though it may be configured to carry nuclear warheads in the future with modifications. At present there are no nuke tipped Akash being used in the ABM role.

IAF - 8 Akash Squadrons (1,000 missiles)
Army - 2 Akash Regiments (2,000 missiles)

All are anti aircraft role with conventional 55 kg pre-fragmented HE warhead and digital proximity fuse.

it will contaminate the sky, hence any plane within the radius will die of gas radioactive poisoning

LOL..are you serious???

you missed it bro. Akash does carry a nuclear warhead. It produces a far more powerfull explosion capable of knocking down ballistic missiles. Some other nuke warhead sams:
MIM-14 Nike Hercules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RIM-8 Talos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yup,you're right.I also added Sprint,lower level of Nike program.thanks for Talos though..I didn't know about it.

These missiles carrying nuclear warheads are primarily for ABM role and not anti-aircraft. Akash is purely an anti aircraft missile with a conventional HE warhead, though it may be configured to carry nuclear warheads in the future with modifications. At present there are no nuke tipped Akash being used in the ABM role.
All are anti aircraft role with conventional 55 kg pre-fragmented HE warhead and digital proximity fuse.

I wonder if India ever admitted about making Neutrino Bomb.all the major powers,even Israel has made and mass produced it.could you guys dig and find if there is any official confirmation about "Akash is Nuclear capable"???then we may conclude that India already has Neutrino bomb without any doubt,and mature enough to miniaturize upto 60kg,as Neutrino Bomb is choice of weapons for this kind.low Radiation and less blast effect.

Last edited:
Guys,I've found another thing..Talos Missile used Tactical Atomic Demolitions Munition W-30.

its a device with yield .5 KT.India tested several sub kiloton nuclear bomb in Pokhran-II.Shakti-IV,an experimental device had similar yield.may be similar kind of weapons could be fitted to Akash to use for this role..

My point is Akash is capable of carrying a nuke warhead,so no wrong in calling it nuke capable. Also,ABMs are also SAMs.

LOL..are you serious???

yup,you're right.I also added Sprint,lower level of Nike program.thanks for Talos though..I didn't know about it.

I wonder if India ever admitted about making Neutrino Bomb.all the major powers,even Israel has made and mass produced it.could you guys dig and find if there is any official confirmation about "Akash is Nuclear capable"???then we may conclude that India already has Neutrino bomb without any doubt,and mature enough to miniaturize upto 60kg,as Neutrino Bomb is choice of weapons for this kind.low Radiation and less blast effect.
any time mate!

LOL..are you serious???

im serious

what kind of plane "Dies" in "Radioactive Poisoning"(don't know if you meant anything else,because,I don't know what that is)???
plane goes "whoooosh' poison gas goes in like "swiiisshhhhh" and then pilot dies with a "thud", and plane crashes with a "BAAANG" RIP, LOL

plane goes "whoooosh' poison gas goes in like "swiiisshhhhh" and then pilot dies with a "thud", and plane crashes with a "BAAANG" RIP, LOL

bahut deekh li salman khan ki movies:rofl::rofl::rofl::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

Back
Top Bottom