What's new

1st Test: England vs Pakistan at Nottingham, July 29-Aug 2, 2010

Mohammad Yousuf is set for a comeback four months after retiring from international cricket © Getty Images

Related LinksPlayers/Officials: Danish Kaneria | Mohammad Yousuf
Matches: England v Pakistan at Nottingham
Series/Tournaments: Pakistan tour of England
Teams: England | Pakistan

Mohammad Yousuf has been called into Pakistan's squad for the remainder of the England tour, as the PCB reacted swiftly to Pakistan's 354-run defeat at Trent Bridge. Danish Kaneria has also been axed from the group following his disappointing bowling display, with the left-arm spinner Raza Hasan called up.

The addition of Yousuf, who in March announced his retirement from international cricket, came just hours after England completed their big win in Nottingham. Earlier this year, Yousuf was handed an indefinite ban by the PCB after he captained Pakistan on their disastrous tour of Australia, during which the side fell apart under his control.

"We got a request from the tour management for Mohammad Yousuf and I then discussed with our selectors and we have okayed it," Mohsin Khan, the chief selector, told Cricinfo. "As far as I am aware Yousuf has been training and is fit. He has played in local club tournaments as well."

As a batsman, Yousuf has the potential to strengthen Pakistan's line-up immeasurably for the remaining three Tests, although he has not played any form of elite cricket since March. A team source told Cricinfo that Yousuf would definitely play in the second Test at Edgbaston starting on Friday, provided he arrived in time, and if he had the correct visa, which was as yet unclear.

"A man with his experience and his runs cannot sit out," the team source said. However, Cricinfo has learnt that the captain, Salman Butt, and the coach, Waqar Younis, were not consulted on Yousuf's inclusion and they were only informed about the reinforcements after the Trent Bridge defeat.

There was no similar call-up for the former captain Younis Khan, who has been playing county cricket with Surrey. But while Pakistan have gained an experienced player in Yousuf, they have also lost one of their veterans after the PCB said in a statement that Kaneria would be released to play county cricket for Essex.

The board said Kaneria would remain available to the Test squad if required, but for now Hasan, 18, would join the squad as his replacement. Hasan has played only two first-class matches and will almost certainly be second in line behind Saeed Ajmal for the Birmingham Test.

Kaneria struggled to have any impact at Trent Bridge, where he finished with match figures of 1 for 171, and he was also well below his best in the two Tests against Australia. The captain, Butt, told Cricinfo that the team hoped Kaneria would regain his spark if he was given a chance at county level.

"He [Kaneria] is our most experienced guy," Butt said. "We need to give him time to get back into form and to get his confidence back in a competitive game rather than sitting in the dressing room and getting frustrated. One way is to allow him to play on the county circuit which will give him a chance and be in the middle and dominate and get his rhythm going."

Butt said he and Waqar spoke to Kaneria for ten minutes after reaching the team hotel in the hours after Pakistan's loss. "He was obviously disappointed," Butt said. "But the best thing he said was he would come back strongly. That was what I wanted to hear."

Butt said the matter to release Kaneria, who has 261 Test wickets, was discussed between he and the coaches and the team management. Kaneria declined to comment.

yahoooooooooooo yousuf is back INSHAHALLAH with grace of ALLAH u see in 2nd test how england going to suffer from his bat butt other players have to do their part u can not rest 300+ runs only on yousuf he can only give u strenght in middle so wicket wont fall cheap batsman around him has to score and stay at wicket but stilll im not satisfied younis khan has to be called in too becuase stilll 5 to 6 players are not perfoming akmal malik who will replace them and ferhat tooo so bring younis khan bach and if asim kamales forre this wil make dache to english bowlers and our bowlers are doing job tooo very well

again im saying yousuf is good batsman but other batsman around him have to score alone yousuf cannot score 300 plus runs and i dont see any one in team is that capable if in 2nd test pakistan lost u dont blame yousuf inclusion because others have to do their part but with his inclusion we atleasat be ablt to reach 200 mark atleast but younis should also be in too

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

Mohammad Yousuf is set for a comeback four months after retiring from international cricket © Getty Images

Related LinksPlayers/Officials: Danish Kaneria | Mohammad Yousuf
Matches: England v Pakistan at Nottingham
Series/Tournaments: Pakistan tour of England
Teams: England | Pakistan

Mohammad Yousuf has been called into Pakistan's squad for the remainder of the England tour, as the PCB reacted swiftly to Pakistan's 354-run defeat at Trent Bridge. Danish Kaneria has also been axed from the group following his disappointing bowling display, with the left-arm spinner Raza Hasan called up.

The addition of Yousuf, who in March announced his retirement from international cricket, came just hours after England completed their big win in Nottingham. Earlier this year, Yousuf was handed an indefinite ban by the PCB after he captained Pakistan on their disastrous tour of Australia, during which the side fell apart under his control.

"We got a request from the tour management for Mohammad Yousuf and I then discussed with our selectors and we have okayed it," Mohsin Khan, the chief selector, told Cricinfo. "As far as I am aware Yousuf has been training and is fit. He has played in local club tournaments as well."

As a batsman, Yousuf has the potential to strengthen Pakistan's line-up immeasurably for the remaining three Tests, although he has not played any form of elite cricket since March. A team source told Cricinfo that Yousuf would definitely play in the second Test at Edgbaston starting on Friday, provided he arrived in time, and if he had the correct visa, which was as yet unclear.

"A man with his experience and his runs cannot sit out," the team source said. However, Cricinfo has learnt that the captain, Salman Butt, and the coach, Waqar Younis, were not consulted on Yousuf's inclusion and they were only informed about the reinforcements after the Trent Bridge defeat.

There was no similar call-up for the former captain Younis Khan, who has been playing county cricket with Surrey. But while Pakistan have gained an experienced player in Yousuf, they have also lost one of their veterans after the PCB said in a statement that Kaneria would be released to play county cricket for Essex.

The board said Kaneria would remain available to the Test squad if required, but for now Hasan, 18, would join the squad as his replacement. Hasan has played only two first-class matches and will almost certainly be second in line behind Saeed Ajmal for the Birmingham Test.

Kaneria struggled to have any impact at Trent Bridge, where he finished with match figures of 1 for 171, and he was also well below his best in the two Tests against Australia. The captain, Butt, told Cricinfo that the team hoped Kaneria would regain his spark if he was given a chance at county level.

"He [Kaneria] is our most experienced guy," Butt said. "We need to give him time to get back into form and to get his confidence back in a competitive game rather than sitting in the dressing room and getting frustrated. One way is to allow him to play on the county circuit which will give him a chance and be in the middle and dominate and get his rhythm going."

Butt said he and Waqar spoke to Kaneria for ten minutes after reaching the team hotel in the hours after Pakistan's loss. "He was obviously disappointed," Butt said. "But the best thing he said was he would come back strongly. That was what I wanted to hear."

Butt said the matter to release Kaneria, who has 261 Test wickets, was discussed between he and the coaches and the team management. Kaneria declined to comment.

yahoooooooooooo yousuf is back INSHAHALLAH with grace of ALLAH u see in 2nd test how england going to suffer from his bat butt other players have to do their part u can not rest 300+ runs only on yousuf he can only give u strenght in middle so wicket wont fall cheap batsman around him has to score and stay at wicket but stilll im not satisfied younis khan has to be called in too becuase stilll 5 to 6 players are not perfoming akmal malik who will replace them and ferhat tooo so bring younis khan bach and if asim kamales forre this wil make dache to english bowlers and our bowlers are doing job tooo very well

again im saying yousuf is good batsman but other batsman around him have to score alone yousuf cannot score 300 plus runs and i dont see any one in team is that capable if in 2nd test pakistan lost u dont blame yousuf inclusion because others have to do their part but with his inclusion we atleasat be ablt to reach 200 mark atleast but younis should also be in too

That buffoon ejaz butt is up to his old tricks again. YK is available yet he's not picking him. I am willing to now pay 100,000 ruppees to anyone that kills him.

Neither YK nor MY were in the best of form when they were kicked out. Have they shown any form with the bat in domestic contests recently? Even if they have shown form, so have the young batsmen selected for the current tour.

The problem IMO was in the fielding and bowling on the first day. KA easily gave up about a hundred runs through his dropped catches, and Kaneria has been absolutely pitiful in all three test matches he has played so far.

At no point has DK looked like he would get wickets, save the occasional ball that spun a lot, and that meant we really played with 3 bowlers. But of those three bowlers, Gul has been patchy. Bowling well in spurts, and getting no movement in other stretches, despite conditions completely favorable to swing. Once we gave up the initiative, we lost the contest mentally.

But Gul's performance with the ball in the second England innings did at least keep him in contention for the third paceman position. Another effective bowler in place of Kaneria should improve things, be it Ajmal or Hassan (who looked very good in the U19 WC).

Asif is worrying in the longer term - he's lost his pace which makes him a lesser threat, and unless he can generate similar movement in less favorable conditions, he'll be ineffective and tonked all around the park at his medium pace.

Neither YK nor MY were in the best of form when they were kicked out. Have they shown any form with the bat in domestic contests recently? Even if they have shown form, so have the young batsmen selected for the current tour.

The problem IMO was in the fielding and bowling on the first day. KA easily gave up about a hundred runs through his dropped catches, and Kaneria has been absolutely pitiful in all three test matches he has played so far.

At no point has DK looked like he would get wickets, save the occasional ball that spun a lot, and that meant we really played with 3 bowlers. But of those three bowlers, Gul has been patchy. Bowling well in spurts, and getting no movement in other stretches, despite conditions completely favorable to swing. Once we gave up the initiative, we lost the contest mentally.

But Gul's performance with the ball in the second England innings did at least keep him in contention for the third paceman position. Another effective bowler in place of Kaneria should improve things, be it Ajmal or Hassan (who looked very good in the U19 WC).

Asif is worrying in the longer term - he's lost his pace which makes him a lesser threat, and unless he can generate similar movement in less favorable conditions, he'll be ineffective and tonked all around the park at his medium pace.

so what u want that same crap amin and umer akmal and kamrqan akmal what did they have done in six innings if u take total of their six innings total it is not even come in 20s so u want to make record for us to loose next time by 600 runs no no no one have capability to face the swing bowling no technique nothing atleast if they get out on duck we have some hope with them that if they take six innings they will score more than 200 runs in all inings with these stupids u dont even hope for good any stupid team take out their best all players at once i was barking that we need experience yousuf has still somethiong in him he might loost his form but not his class remember he is A class batsman best technique in the game youngster dont have form and dont have any class to atleast he has the class remember form is temprory class is perminent of batsman show some respect to younis and yousuf who every bowler not want to bowl at i remember what dale steyn have said that someone ask him what is ur best wicket u have taken he said younis khan because he is hard to bowl on so show some respect we dont want any nre crap azhar ali one crap is ok but not 5 craps in the team we want

Young batsmen have shown no form and there is only one innings of note between them. One of MY and YK are almost certain to perform in one of the innings (i.e. 4 innings in total). Combined runs scored by Umar Amin, Umar Akmal, and Azhar Ali probably add up to somewhere around 250 in 6 innings at an average of around 15. It's a pretty sorry reading for all these hyped up youngsters.

agreed and those 15 MY and YN will score atleast 20 to 30 for sure less score of them if u take but once they go beyond 100 runs for sure theor record agianst england and in englans awsome eve if they faill im happy to lost match with them in the team atleast with them we can fight and have hope but still alone yousuf wont score 300 plus runs and other batsman i dont think so will score we need YN too other wise do not expect yousuf to score alone he will do what ever if he cores 50 odd runs and other 10 players 100 runs than do not blame him we need more experience

And the confusion continues...

England v Pakistan: Salman Butt not convinced Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan are the answer | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Salman Butt has a question for those of us who feel Pakistan are hitting themselves in the foot by continuing to ignore the Ys - Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan - out of the batting ranks. "Having seen the past results can anybody over here tell me how many wins Pakistan had with the people who were previously playing?" Butt shot the query at the media after Pakistan's embarrassing defeat in Nottingham.

He probably meant Pakistan's record in England, as out of the five and six Tests Younis and Yousuf have played respectively in this country, they were part of only one victory - at Old Trafford in the summer of 2001 when Inzamam-ul-Haq bolstered the middle-order with his calm presence. Waqar Younis, Pakistan's current coach, was then leading an experienced side, which also featured Wasim Akram, Saeed Anwar and Saqlain Mushtaq.

However, Butt, if he has been referring to the stats books, would also be aware of the Y-pair's outstanding record in England: Yousuf has compiled 716 runs at 65.09 including a double-century and Younis has logged 470 runs at 52.22 with one hundred and a highest of 173. Those are big runs and Pakistan could do with such stone-walling efforts, going by the fragility of their batting order this summer.

The call for their return is bound to get louder if you consider the fact that in the six innings so far on this trip, Pakistan's middle-order, comprising Nos. 3-7, has recorded a solitary half-century. Azhar Ali, Umar Amin, Umar Akmal, Shoaib Malik and Kamran Akmal have have all wobbled and succumbed to pressure easily.

Yet Butt and Waqar have stressed that Pakistan possess the best possible unit at the moment and it was only healthy and apt to think beyond the Ys. "Whoever is in the Pakistan side is there because of his ability and needs to be given time to show what they are capable of," Butt said. "Had we been winning with them in the team in the past two years then it could've been a mistake. But the results were the same. In fact these guys pulled off a victory after 15 years [against Australia last week at Headingley]. So people are not seeing the reality."

Waqar was more direct on Saturday evening, when Pakistan had lost their top three wickets in a matter of minutes. Asked if he felt the inexperienced middle order needed reinforcement in the form either Yousuf or Younis, or both, he did not entertain the thought too much. "Look, one is retired [Yousuf]. We can't really bring somebody back from retirement. The other one [Younis] has got serious issues with the cricket board [PCB]," Waqar said with a smile.

Waqar said he was disappointed at some of the shots his batsmen played but felt this team was on the right track, in light of what he had witnessed in the past few years where Pakistan cricket had been marred by relentless controversies. "If you compare the Pakistan side from the last two to three years to this one it is a big improvement," Waqar said. "We want to make this into a big unit. We might have to take a couple losses but this unit looks good."

Pakistan's biggest problem on this trip has been the weak spine the batsmen have shown in the face of challenging seaming and swinging conditions. Their ineptitude to raise a challenging score has only hurt and eventually demoralised their fast men - Mohammad Aamer, Mohammad Asif and Umar Gul, who have put in stellar performances. Butt accepts the blame. "Yes, because we have got out very quickly today and we lost seven wickets in an hour's time you can say we have the problems against the seaming (swinging) ball."

Butt himself was a failure, getting a single-digit score in both innings. Ironically for Butt, though just two matches old as captain, he is Pakistan's highest run maker this year and so remains the man to lend a direction for the rest of the batting order. "All of us need to take responsibility having played a bit more cricket than some others in the team," Butt said.

However Butt is not willing to pull the pin on any of the batsmen. "I am just two games old: we have won one and lost the other. So I can never think of saying they have not responded. I can't be that impatient," Butt said. According to him, expecting Pakistan to win every match is asking for the moon. "What do you expect from them - win every game? That will not happen. This is the time when you back your players. It is just a matter of putting up a performance whether it being bowling, fielding, batting. The faith I have in them, I know they can make a comeback."

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at Cricinfo

i have one good suggestion for salma butt first of alll you are not scoring runs your own position in the team is un certain it is better of shut your mouth we have een your very own youngster did what in 6 innings all of them just scored 50 runs even if a any tailander u give six innings he will goe beyond 150 runs yes with yousuf and younis we have lost the test because bowling is not perfoming and if our battting is our probleum so we need to reinforce it no ne over night become MY NK every team is very serious on retiring their players if dravid laxman and tendulkar can play why not MY they are similar class even india is loosing in Srilanka because of bowling not the batting our probleum is batting and do he want to make record for pakistan's huge defets in this series if yes better of go with the same side and waqar younis i had a lot of respect for him but how he did replied to yousuf it means he is not the coach of the team but a coach of an opponent team i have doubts on waqar's faith with the team as much experienced he is he should know what team needs 6 innings alot to know who is good or who is not 6 players are not perfoming we need to replace them alll better of think good if salman and waqar is scred of yousuf to over perfom in test so they loose their places what difference it makes young players are not perfoming even if any one says me yousuf will get out on sex ducks i still go with the his class he has a class to come back stongly im certain if he scored 50 to 100 runs in any innings it willl lock the mouths of waqar and saman too yousuf close their mouth with bat INSHAHALLAH u will succes

ok to those who are supporting return of Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan

Please tell us how many matches did they win for us in past 2 years?

I second that!!!!!!!! They were even more pitiful then current newbies.

I second that!!!!!!!! They were even more pitiful then current newbies.

and it was more shameful to see those senior players getting out cheaply and losing shamelessly.

Here at least we can say, we are a young team playing since 1952 :lol: our players need experience blah blah

If Umar Amin and Azhar Ali failed to perform we can give a try to somebody else. But i am not in favour of all senior players to return. If Younis and Yousuf comes then Malik and somebody else should evacuate or at least one of the old senior players will have to go in order to accomodate youngsters.

I think Kamran Akmal should be axed as wicket keeper at least if not from the team. This scoundrel drops catches, misses stumping chances in addition to poor fielding behind the stumps to put team under immense pressure.:argh:

I think Kamran Akmal should be axed as wicket keeper at least if not from the team. This scoundrel drops catches, misses stumping chances in addition to poor fielding behind the stumps to put team under immense pressure.:argh:

Kamran akmal ko wese bi wapis bula kar jootian maarni chaheye uss ney danesh kaneria ka careeer kharaab kia hua hai :angry:

It's not about whether they won us tests matches man. A single player on their own can't win you a test match.

We're unable to score more than 300 as we speak. And more often than not, we're unable to score more than 200. Batting is really weak and the bowlers have too much load. With YK and MY, we should be able to score 300 consistently and an odd 400. It takes load off bowlers. And having two good batsmen will give confidence to other players plus the opposition will have to work much harder to defeat us.

Then there's the question of losing by 350 runs vs losing by 50-100 runs.

Keep in mind the bowling attack we've had for the last 2 years was pretty bad and its only recently that it became good.

agreed alone they cannot do you see in past 2 years how much they have scored zaki bhai in tests batting is not who win you test it is bowler who have to take 20 wickets in 5 days and unfortunatley to say they did not have done it every good batsman have its rough patch yousuf and younis have it in australia batsman only can save you the test not to win they only score runs but ur bowlers have to get 20 wickets now our bowling is doing it ut unfortunatley not the batting doing its work so use some logic sir with due respect zaki bhai im not against you your are right buy atleast 2 good batsman we should hacve in test and u can given chances new comers in ODI

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom