What's new

1971 War Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Pyongyang@Nov 1 2005, 03:29 AM
The 1971 War had its ups and downs. The Up part was how valiantly the PAF foguth in East Pakistan, under constant air raids, they foguth bravely and shot down a lot of Indian planes.
The PAF shot down just 3 IAF planes in air-to-air combat, that is not a lot of planes. The PA anti-aircraft guns shot down 10 IAF planes.

Originally posted by antiobl@Nov 24 2005, 05:56 AM
Almost all the Pakistani army generals and officers were POWs for many years. Why were they not tried in the court of Bharat or by Awami League?
[post=3561]Quoted post[/post]​
To answer this question lies in the reasons below. These are non-Indian links and indicate views of 3rd parties:-
The trial of suspected Pakistani war criminals was sealed by the Tripartite Agreement concluded on 9th April, 1974 by the three parties - Bangladesh, India and Pakistan - at the Foreign Ministers' level. Paragraph 15 of the Agreement stated the following:
"Having regard to the appeal of the Prime Minister of Pakistan to the people of Bangladesh to forgive and forget the mistakes of the past, the Foreign Minister of Bangladesh stated that the Government of Bangladesh had decided not to proceed with the trials as an act of clemency."
http://www.weeklyholiday.net/2005/100605/com.html

Apart from that many countries inparticular the US persuaded Bangladesh to refrain from carrying out any trials. At the height of the 1974 famine Bangladesh, the US had withheld 2.2 million tonnes of food aid to ‘ensure that it abandoned plans to try Pakistani war criminals’.
http://www.saynotogmos.org/global_south.htm

Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Indira Gandhi, not US, credited with ending 1971 war
By Khalid Hasan

WASHINGTON: Henry Kissinger’s claim that it was the Nixon administration that leaned on India after the fall of Dhaka not to carry the war to West Pakistan has been challenged by a new book, which asserts that the decision was entirely that of Indira Gandhi, the Indian prime minister.

In his new biography of the late Indian leader, author and journalist Inder Malhotra writes, “It was eight in the evening (of 16 December 1971) when she (Mrs Gandhi) declared ceasefire in the West. She needed the time to discuss the matter with the cabinet colleagues and with opposition leaders. To those who predictably urged that the ‘unfinished job’ in West Pakistan, too, should be completed, she replied, ‘In Bangladesh the people and the army would be battling to defend their homes. We should not subject our forces to undue ordeals’ … the military leadership endorsed this policy wholeheartedly.”

He adds, “In view of this, how ridiculous it is that almost to this day Kissinger has gone on claiming that Indira was saved only by the US warning to both India and Soviet Union. PN Dhar is right when he says that Kissinger’s laboured account of how the war ended had the compelling quality of a ‘spy thriller’. Others call it the proverbial ‘Big Lie.’”

Turning to the Simla Conference in the summer of 1972, Malhotra writes, “The essence of the Simla Accord was a private and verbal agreement between Indira Gandhi and Zulfi Bhutto that the line dividing Kashmir … would, over time and gradually, be converted into a permanent border. The key word was ‘gradually’. Bhutto pleaded that he could not possibly include this commitment in the written text but told Indira: ‘Aap mujh per bharosa kijiye.’ (Please trust me.) The text of the Agreement did indicate the direction in which the two countries were moving. For the UN-sponsored Ceasefire Line … was converted into a bilateral Line of Control. Both sides committed themselves fully to respect the LoC ‘without prejudice to either side’s traditional position on Kashmir.’ Later, it became clear that Bhutto – living up to his reputation of being so slippery that compared with him an eel would be a leech – reneged on his Simla commitment.”

Malhotra refers to an in the Times of India in 1995 by PN Dhar to “make Bhutto’s secret commitment public”. This was denied vehemently in Pakistan, including by some who were present at Simla. Dhar’s comment was, “About the only (Pakistani) in authority who did not react was Pakistan’s then prime minister, Benazir Bhutto.” As a teenager, Malhotra recalls, she had accompanied her father to Simla and had been “kept informed of every twist and turn in the protracted negotiations”.

Malhotra also records an amusing exchange between Gen Zia-ul-Haq and Mrs Gandhi at Harare in April 1980 during the Nonaligned Summit. The day Zia and Indira were to meet, that very day’s newspapers quoted Gen Zia making certain uncharitable remarks about the Indian prime minister. When they met, Zia opened the conversation with, “Madam, please do not believe everything you read in the newspapers.” Mrs Gandhi replied, “Of course not. Aren’t they calling you a democrat and me a dictator?”

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\04\11\story_11-4-2006_pg1_2

Like everything else, you cant trust anything coming out of an indian. The Book is full of magical and fantastic revealations that have no substance or logic, much like the 13 year old indian "author" who recently published a novel, only to outed,ridiculed and disgraced as a plaguratist.

It was Nixon who guaranteed West Pakistan's territorial integrity.

Victories like these when celeberated become a source of self disgrace. but i think indians have some thing to rejoice. one thing that they really need to do to help Pakistan come out of serious trouble is that First decide the issue with Bangalis of who won the 1971 War against Pakistan.
Bangladesh or India. Because when ever that event haunts us, it haunts us with bangladeshis saying that they won it and indians saying that they won it. Feel proud over back biting skills against 1/7 sized countries.

:flag: :army:

The PAF shot down just 3 IAF planes in air-to-air combat, that is not a lot of planes. The PA anti-aircraft guns shot down 10 IAF planes.

The point is not about how many...even one would have sufficed given the fact that IAF had complete-air superiority in all aspect of air warfare. That PAF pilots were able to execute missions (prior to the airfield becoming inoperable due to anti-runway bombs) goes to their credit and should be acknowledged. There is a lot of hoopla about Pakistani forces being totally outclassed which is total BS....obviously the entire Pakistani compliment of 45000 troops was ordered to surrender. Had they faught on like 26FF etc., and received appropriate coverage, all this talk about superior Indian tactics, capabilities would go out the window. Many a Pakistani units faught with elan but the problem in judging such a case is that every one looks at the overall surrender (from a standpoint of the overall situation in 1971, this is ok but it does not paint the real picture about the conduct of Pakistani units in EP) and their performance at the individual level.

Yes, the Pakistani Army fought as they should haver and they did what they could.

In so far as surrendering, it was but axiomatic.

We have no right to call them Kafirs its god who decides not we! :victory:

Webmaster is right
..its god's decision to decide wether we are muslim or not, or wether we should be sent to hell or heaven

much like the 13 year old indian "author" who recently published a novel, only to outed,ridiculed and disgraced as a plaguratist.
She wasn't thirteen and she wasn't Indian. She was of Indian origin and an adult.

i rather live without Bangladeish people. you say they are kool with us. i live in new york i see these people here everyday the only natino they really really hate is pakistan. and i hate bangali people.

Well u think Bengali's are bad, with no offense to any Afghans but AFG'z are the most
anti Pakistani. I swear no nation could surpass them in their hostility towards
Pakistan.

Well un think Bengali's are bad, with no offense to any Afghans but AFG'z are the most anti Pakistani. I swear no nation could surpass them in their hostility towards Pakistan.

Agreed!
And we have been nurturing millions of these parasites on our soil! :disagree:
I don't hate them, but would like to see them on their side of the border. ;)

Yup! So far all the Bengalis I know, are very polite and kind; quite a few friends I have in that community. They never mention 1971 or anything related to it and that is what humbles me.

I have quite a lot of friends in the Afghan community but you can just 'sense' the anti-Pakistan vibe coming from them. I wonder why!

Yes Sid brother. I understand what you mean by the anti-pakistani vibe.
The town i live in has about 1000 Afghans out of 108,000 people and
beleive me they are anti pakistani. All have lived on our beloved land
and refer to us as s*** Pakis and other stuff i do not want to think about.
The point is that we have to learn how to give people the boot and i mean
hostile anti Pakistani ones. I know Indians, Iranians and people from all
ethnicities but god forbid these people leave no limits in hostilities
towards our homeland. May god protect Paksitan form their harming
deeds and guide us to glory in the 21st century. :flag:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom