What's new

1961 Indo-Portuguese War

But this was a significant historical moment in India and also world history due to Goa being the final Indian land held by Imperial colonial powers.

i dont doubt that - but how that makes india a "super power" is beyond me - indians are still saying the same thing today!!

2573mt1.jpg

i dont doubt that - but how that makes india a "super power" is beyond me - indians are still saying the same thing today!!

I would not agree that the Liberation of Goa made or makes India a 'superpower' all it did was to retake Goa and give a sense of nationalism afterall this occured in the 1960's when India was a new nation just finding it's feet.

I doubt India would ever be a superpower in the same sense as Russia or USA were during the cold war, but it can become a global power as could Pakistan given it's location and join up with the G20.

reemergence?
thats funny, indian has been the parking spot for a whole heap of invaders - or is this reference to some time in 8,000 bc?

It is truly sad how some people are so blinded by hate and jealousy that they don't even acknowledge history.

Nanda Empire in 5th century B.C.E.
Maurya Empire in 4th-2nd centuries B.C.E.
Kushana Empire in 1st-3rd centuries .
Gupta Empire in 4th-6th centuries
Pala Empire in 8th-12th centuries
Chola Empire in 9th-13th centuries
Mughal Empire in 16th-18th centuries
Maratha Empire in 17th-19th centuries

Each of these empires were major global powers in their time. People from all over the world were willing to spend their whole lives trying to reach India, just to glimpse its wealth and power. Oh, and the land that you now call "Pakistan" was also a part of these empires, so you too should be proud of this history instead of living in a pathetic state of self-denial.

And yes, modern India is not a superpower, but it is definitely a global power.

Each of these empires were major global powers in their time

global powers - are you drunk?

india has been a free for all for everyone throughout history - not once has it even been close to anything "global"

Oh, and the land that you now call "Pakistan" was part of many of these empires

never been a part of any indian "civilisation" - the people of pakistan have their own history - saying its indian is about as useful as saying its equatorial - just a geographic description!!

india has been a free for all for everyone throughout history - not once has it even been close to anything "global"

Nothing back then was "global". But they were very rich and were economic power houses.

"According to economic historian Angus Maddison in his book The World Economy: A Millennial Perspective, India had the world's largest economy from the first to eleventh century, and in the eighteenth century, with a (32.9%) share of world GDP in the first century to (28.9%) in 1000 AD, and in 1700 AD with (24.4%). "

Nothing back then was "global". But they were very rich and were economic power houses.

"According to economic historian Angus Maddison in his book The World Economy: A Millennial Perspective, India had the world's largest economy from the first to eleventh century, and in the eighteenth century, with a (32.9%) share of world GDP in the first century to (28.9%) in 1000 AD, and in 1700 AD with (24.4%). "

not surprising but its a completely different point

Do some research about the Indian-Roman spice trade and the later Indian-European trade before opening your uneducated mouth.

India as a whole made up one-fourth to one-third of global GDP up till 1800 C.E. Along with China, the global economy was Asia-centric, with traders from all over the world trying to trade gold and silver in exchange for Chinese silk and Indian spices.

But then again, they probably don't teach you about that stuff in madrassas.

never been a part of any indian "civilisation" - the people of pakistan have their own history - saying its indian is about as useful as saying its equatorial - just a geographic description!!

Thank you for confirming your stupidity, not that it was ever up for debate in the first place.

This thread was going perfectly fine until the Paaki trolls showed up.

We even had one Pakistani sympathize with India on our common struggle against Europeans...

Too bad a few no-life attention whores had to mess everything up.

Just ignore them bro! Remember nothing happened before muhammad bin qasim :rolleyes:

Anyways carry on with this thread :tup:

I dont see how India made a such a great effort in getting this portugese colony back.. I mean the world war had ended and Colonialism was coming to an end throughout the world itself.. and sooner or later the portugese would have given the land back anyway.. since it would have been logistically impossible to support Goa all the way up from Europe.

Its clearly evident from the absence of portugese airpower and lack of willingness to fight that they (the Portugese) did not want to indulge in an armed conflict. However, India seemed to have gone against their initial stance of not using force to "using force" .. Typical

Its just a simple arguement guys.. no need to generalise by saying "p a k i trolls" i could also refer to you as _____ hindus... so please.. keep a lid.

I dont see how India made a such a great effort in getting this portugese colony back.. I mean the world war had ended and Colonialism was coming to an end throughout the world itself.. and sooner or later the portugese would have given the land back anyway.. since it would have been logistically impossible to support Goa all the way up from Europe.Its clearly evident from the absence of portugese airpower and lack of willingness to fight that they (the Portugese) did not want to indulge in an armed conflict. However, India seemed to have gone against their initial stance of not using force to "using force" .. Typical

Its just a simple arguement guys.. no need to generalise by saying "p a k i trolls" i could also refer to you as _____ hindus... so please.. keep a lid.

Wrong. On 27 February 1950 the Government of the India asked the Portuguese government to open negotiations about the future of Portuguese colonies in India. Portugal asserted that its territory in India was not a colony but part of metropolitan Portugal and hence its transfer was non-negotiable; and that the India had no rights to this territory since the Republic of India did not exist at the time when Goa came under Portuguese rule.

By the way not all Indians are Hindus :disagree:

I dont see how India made a such a great effort in getting this portugese colony back.. I mean the world war had ended and Colonialism was coming to an end throughout the world itself.. and sooner or later the portugese would have given the land back anyway.. since it would have been logistically impossible to support Goa all the way up from Europe.

Its clearly evident from the absence of portugese airpower and lack of willingness to fight that they (the Portugese) did not want to indulge in an armed conflict. However, India seemed to have gone against their initial stance of not using force to "using force" .. Typical

The Indo-Portuguese war is significant because it showed that a third-world country like India could and would stand up to a European country for the sake of freedom for its people. And not only stand up to it, but defeat it.

The Indian victory at Goa, despite being an extremely easy one, gave inspiration to other Portuguese colonies like Angola and Mozambique, who did not possess the same military power as India but possessed the same dreams of freedom.

The Indo-Portuguese war is significant because it showed that a third-world country like India could and would stand up to a European country for the sake of freedom for its people. And not only stand up to it, but defeat it.

Standing up straight wasn't that unusual you know,if you take a look at states like Algeria and Vietnam for example.Although the political fallout of it all was kinda disappointing.

Hey,here's another example check Portuguese Macau,its another colony that got a resolution of its own.

Standing up straight wasn't that unusual you know,if you take a look at states like Algeria and Vietnam for example.Although the political fallout of it all was kinda disappointing.

Neither Algeria nor Vietnam had liberation movements that were as decisive as Goa. Algeria and Vietnam both suffered extensive damage due to their independence movements.

The Indo-Portuguese War was unique because it was one of the few times that a third-world country won a clear victory against a European power, with virtually no collateral damage or fallout.

Hey,here's another example check Portuguese Macau,its another colony that got a resolution of its own.

Good for them.

India tried many times to get back Goa peacefully.

It was only due to the stubborness and arrogance of the Estado Novo that India had to resort to force.

Back
Top Bottom