What's new

17 Indian Army soldiers killed in Uri attack

I am being taught GPS reading ... sssshhhhh

User defined Datum, MGRS ... baah ..... I like when I am taught things and called a fool too. Check @pakdefender teaching GPS ...

On topic

Won't settle down unfortunately. There will ne retaliation for sure. Lets see.

Its a troll fest .. no use discussing anything much here. But I sincerely hope that political process is not stalled. Unfortunately we have headed into regression mode.

good , with the likes you on the job in india means all is well :D

The member is telling me ordnance survey et al .... I am glad to learn map reading ... wonder why we use matrices and maps with a gps and how we come to know route from checking memory for way points???

He will show me how foolish I am. Will become wise and we will discuss this topic which is more serious elsewhere with like minded and serious people.

Gudnite

Wanted you to see this post by a friend: He's been defending that moron G. D. Bakshi, but seems to have lost his patience at last.

Undone at Uri
--------
A terror attack has taken grim toll on the Army and as usual, we have hyper-ventilating media and more hyper military veterans lambasting the enemy with invective, abuse and revenge.
I am ashamed that most have no clue where Uri is, leave alone sensibly analyse whats happened. Certainly, the media has little clue about the ground reality and the military veterans aren't correcting them, so worked up they appear to be to demand instant revenge above all.
Uri is 19 kms inside the LC...It is 40 kms from Baramula and 104 from Srinagar. This makes one fact clear that media and some military veterans do not seem to know: The attack site is WELL INSIDE the LC...NOT on it or even close to it.
This makes matters rather more serious.
The last thing on our minds, dear hyper Gen GD Bakshi, Col RSN Singh, Commodore Sahib, should be to rush out SF for an attack on "**** Camps"...
What is needed is professional assessment of how and where breaches in security occurred to allow unchallenged access 19 kms inside. Those breaches must be instantly plugged. Simultaneously, if sleeper cells are at work, the Police has its hands full.
At the same time, the area must be cleared of terrorists, mines and grenades primed to blast. The injured must be taken to hospital and order restored soonest.
Blame can wait, and revenge...Both should take time and great planning/thinking/opportunity.
What cant wait is to restore the sanctity of our layered security systems, improve intelligence by all including physical means and electronic...Prevent a repeat elsewhere.
What can wait is shouting, screaming, brownie pointing, innuendo, and political opportunism.
What can wait is the HM's choice of calling off his Russia visit. He must proceed forthwith and leave his MOS and Doval to handle matters. Russia is too important a country to keep on hold and India too big and powerful to let a terror strike paralyze Governance.
And my friend GD Bakshi...lay off, pal. Dont get hyper and so excitable that you appear to choke in anger. Warfighting does not need such gross reaction...Things are better handled by doing things right and without public announcement of intent.
Let me end by adding that Gen DS Hooda is the right officer to handle what has happened. He is cool, savvy, smart and very capable. He knows the area very intimately and will get things done right.
He needs people to understand and mind their business to allow him and his team to handle theirs properly. My unstinted vote is for him to do what needs doing.

He's been defending that moron G. D. Bakshi, but seems to have lost his patience at last.

Hi,

BJP came into power by playing very dangerous game. The hyper-nationalism that has been created in India did help them to win the seats but at a price which they can ill-afford. Playing politics over emotions of nations comes at terrible price. Every time some mis-event or mishap occurs fingers are pointed at Pakistan while denying the reality a chance to address the real issue. Finger pointing automatically fixes the issue as it is assumed .

Now BJP will feel the brunt, Back when sushma gee was saying to previous government to bring 10 heads for one soldier.
By invoking unwarranted nationalism back then has put her now in very terrible situation. BJP is well aware of the situation that this all is the consequence of ill-conceived policies for this particular region, which has nothing to do with Pakistan and they are hell bent on shifting blame to PAkistan ( as Always). This policy will come at price which is to carry out an attack on PAK of some sort. And they are well aware of the reality that this is not feasible at all, since the tension is all nothing but local home grown genuine grievance. Attacking Pakistan will achieve nothing and will only make matter worse for an entire region.

BJP is actually doing more harm than good. In fact all left-wing parties for that mater in any country plays with emotions and are responsible for more harm than the good they promise to bring.

Last edited:
Ask USA they claim it And there world are taken more credible than any force on this planet Its Diplomatically Evident

Like WMDs in Iraq. Seems like back to square one. US also shown concern regarding India using Afghanistan for unrest inside Pakistan as well as killings in Kashmir.

you got it

I think the attack will come from Kabul side. they will start firing on villagers from the boundary and LoC as well. I pray for the safety of the poor people who might be ambushed and killed on accusation of crossing the border. the people in dehli have no shame and its their policy statement to give us befitting reply

+

Well we need to be ready as well as search and hunt is on though more weak point could be GB or Baluchistan area with majority of Shia.

India does some pure lies by blaming Pakistan..lol.....so sickening to see Indians headless and lost...even a small kid knows Indian baseless lies upon lies serving no purpose ..... India knows it murdered 80+ Kashmiris fighting for freedom with 70+ days locked down curfew of the valley.....a reply was due on the occupying forces of India.

@Star Wars @RISING SUN @GR!FF!N @Levina @PARIKRAMA @anant_s @ranjeet @Armani @IndoUS @JanjaWeed @joekrish @Joe Shearer @dadeechi @IndoCarib @Ankit Kumar 002 @Parul @arp2041 @cerberus @Nilgiri @gslv mk3 @saurav jha

Sad times, a nation that wants to be seen as a great power is being held hostage by one that has as much power as Belgium or New Zealand.

RIP to the brave soldiers, killed in their sleep whilst rotating out (potentially), this is not how any warrior wants to go.

Unfortunately their sacrifices will quickly be forgotten by an ungrateful nation and indifferent political class and Modi will be back to bear hugging Nawaz Sharif soon.

But hey, I'm sure another dossier is being prepared as we speak @MilSpec
I rather not comment.

Hi,

BJP came into power by playing very dangerous game. The hyper-nationalism that has been created in India did help them to win the seats but at a price which they can ill-afford. Playing politics over emotions of nations comes at terrible price. Every time some mis-event or mishap occurs fingers are pointed at Pakistan while denying the reality a chance to address the real issue. Finger pointing automatically fixes the issue as it is assumed .

Now BJP will feel the brunt, Back when sushma gee was saying to previous government to bring 10 heads for one soldier.
By invoking unwarranted nationalism back then has put her now in very terrible situation. BJP is well aware of the situation that this all is the consequence of ill-conceived policies for this particular region, which has nothing to do with Pakistan and they are hell bent on shifting blame to PAkistan ( as Always). This policy will come at price which is to carry out an attack on PAK of some sort. And they are well aware of the reality that this is not feasible at all, since the tension is all nothing but local home grown genuine grievance. Attacking Pakistan will achieve nothing and will only make matter worse for an entire region.

BJP is actually doing more harm than good. In fact all left-wing parties for that mater in any country plays with emotions and are responsible for more harm than the good they promise to bring.

Very accurate. They now know what can and cannot be done, and haven't been able to come to terms with the limitations on their imagination. It will take them more time to work out a reasonable international policy, especially as their sycophantic pursuit of the US is clearly taking its toll of Russia's patience and friendliness. All these are so much more complicated than prancing around proclaiming that they would do great things if they could.

In one of the most devastating attacks on the Army in Jammu and Kashmir, 17 Army personnel were killed and 20 left injured when four heavily armed terrorists attacked an infantry battalion in Uri.
By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Published:September 19, 2016 7:43 am
urinew-759.jpg
Uri attack: The Army Brigade camp which was attacked by militants in Uri, Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday. PTI Photo
In New York for the first-ever summit on Addressing Large Movements of Refugees and Migrants, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Monday condemned the Uri militant attack in Kashmir.

Early on Sunday morning, in one of the most devastating attacks on the Army in Jammu and Kashmir, 17 Army personnel were killed and 20 left injured by four heavily armed terrorists who sneaked into the administrative buildings and store complex of an infantry battalion in Uri. This was the home the 12 Infantry Brigade, near the Line of Control (LoC).

The four terrorists were gunned down by Army personnel after a three-hour gunbattle, and a combing operation was underway. The Army said its initial findings suggested that the terrorists belonged to Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Muhammad and had come from across the LoC.
Army sources in J&K said, as per their assessment, the terrorists probably infiltrated in the last two days and familiarised themselves with the area through discreet reconnaissance.

A PTI report from Islamabad quoted Pakistan Army spokesman Lt Gen Asim Saleem Bajwa as saying that the DGMOs discussed the situation along the LoC over hotline. “Refuting the unfounded and premature Indian allegation, Pakistan DGMO asked his counterpart to share any actionable intelligence,” Radio Pakistan reported citing an ISPR release.
A senior Army officer posted in the area said the reason for the high casualties was the large number of soldiers present due to the turn-over of battalions and the tents catching fire, as the terrorists fired indiscriminately.

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...cretary-general-ban-ki-moon-condemns-3038462/

So asking legitimate questions is labeled as trolling. Great analogy. What next, we are right and you are wrong type thing?
Not really..... But the way our discussion were heading, i thought it wasnt a productive one, that is why i backed off.....

Wanted you to see this post by a friend: He's been defending that moron G. D. Bakshi, but seems to have lost his patience at last.

Well These guys are apt for Arnab's show and its script......One more fellow (forgot his name) with same ideology or ideas...... I guess these generals should enjoy their retired life...... One fellow lost his mind and asked to create our own version of terrorists..... Seriously????

Not really..... But the way our discussion were heading, i thought it wasnt a productive one, that is why i backed off.....

Well These guys are apt for Arnab's show and its script......One more fellow (forgot his name) with same ideology or ideas...... I guess these generals should enjoy their retired life...... One fellow lost his mind and asked to create our own version of terrorists..... Seriously????
Never expected it from Shankar Roychowdhury. Always thought him to be a level headed soldier.

That shall be Gen Shankar Roy Choudhary.

Actually from a diplomatic point of view, it makes sense. It is a part of something that I had mentioned earlier - "hybrid" war while answering Spectre.

The process has to always be political. There is never a process which does not start with a political objective and does not end with a political objective. Having said that, the options in between, that is economic, diplomatic, military, information warfare and utilisation of non-state actors, are all merely tools.

We have been seeing all being employed by the adversaries. By adding the fifth dimension, you merely calibrate your responses in this hybrid asymmetric war. The same can always be justified in a calibrated response.

Having done with the theory, the practicality of issue for us is if we use this policy with respect to TTP (and here I can not stress enough that unlike what our friends in Pakistan believe, we have no correlation with the TTP for obvious reasons, their ideology in the long run will hurt us more) the dividends will be short term and pitfalls over a very long period of time.

The option of using own forces for irregular war is the only recourse left, but then that has its risk and a very detailed and well thought out cost to risk analysis has to be undertaken to actually determine whether is this an area where we would like to get involved in?

The more sane and near term strategy is for calibration of response in LC region. Strike the Launch pads from stand off weapons. It has risk of retaliation by Pakistan but if it is stand off and specific, the retaliation may be (although hard to predict) token in nature. The long term, of course, remains to try and get China and US to lean on Pakistan.

A slightly more expensive option is to mobilise and build up on our western front. This will entail Pakistan re-shifting its troops to Eastern Front thereby ceding critical space in their ongoing zarb-e-azb operation thereby pushing back their gains by months at least as also will jack up the international pressure and costs for Pakistan.

The costs for India will be high but manageable without serious economic effects.

Never expected it from Shankar Roychowdhury. Always thought him to be a level headed soldier.

He had an adverse war report, yet became Chief!!! Thanks to BC Joshi deciding to call it quits.

Having done with the theory, the practicality of issue for us is if we use this policy with respect to TTP (and here I can not stress enough that unlike what our friends in Pakistan believe, we have no correlation with the TTP for obvious reasons, their ideology in the long run will hurt is more) the dividends will be short term and pitfalls over a very long period of time.

This is the most important part, which i am sure New delhi has factored in....... and will never ever support a group as deadly as TTP... and I do not think we would want our hand to be dirtied with any association with other moronic groups......

A slightly more expensive option is to mobilise and build up on our western front. This will entail Pakistan re-shifting its troops to Eastern Front thereby ceding critical space in their ongoing zarb-e-azb operation thereby pushing back their gains by months at least as also will jack up the international pressure and costs for Pakistan.

The way this attack is handled, I do not see this happening....... Even the statements are calibrated (other than that from HM and a BJP leader)......Most probably this would taken up with NS directly or indirectly...... and the story would continue....

BJP came into power by playing very dangerous game. The hyper-nationalism that has been created in India did help them to win the seats but at a price which they can ill-afford.

Actually you are wrong. BJP came into power playing a very safe game. They were helped immensely by two factors. (1) Scams after scams from the previous govt, (2) Economic slowdown in the last few years of UPA. Those two were their main agendas during the campaign trail. If you listen to Modi's campaign speeches, most of them were all about development and ache din. Of course there were some usual rhetoric to please the masses but those weren't his main focus. The hyper-nationalism stuff you are talking about came in later. The reason is very simple. It was obvious that they wouldn't be able to achieve the ache din they promised in 5 years. For many of us (I actually supported Modi in 2014) that would have been fine because we knew Modi did not have a magic wand to solve all our problems in 5 years. But you know how most of the voters are in our countries. So they needed something else to stay in power. That's when their fraud nationalism agenda came into place. Now in just over 2 years they have managed to make cow vigilantes the new norm in India.

By invoking unwarranted nationalism back then has put her now in very terrible situation.

Sushma has no real power. She has been reduced to doing mainly humanitarian works and she seems to be doing a good job at it. Despite her earlier theatrics, Sushma Swaraj is actually a very capable and sane person. But Modi is an expert in sidelining his in-party rivals (he brought in the guy who helped him make Gujrarat BJP a one man show through "various" means and made him the national president of BJP). Sushma was one of his main rivals for the top post before 2014, you get the point.

Last edited:
Apparently most of the soldiers died cause of the fire, not bullets or grenades. Fire retardant tents could have reduced the number of casualties.

Back
Top Bottom