What's new

$100 Billion Chinese-made city near Singapore ‘scares everybody’

艹艹艹

Reaction score
Country
China
http://statestimesreview.com/2016/1...llion-in-melaka-gateway-to-replace-singapore/
China invests S$14 billion in Melaka Gateway to replace Singapore
written by Admin November 20, 2016
melaka-gateway_20161114_195021.jpg

China and Malaysia has just commenced construction of a new S$14 billion off-shore trading port in Malacca, in an aim to replace Singapore as the main trading port in South East Asia. Called the Melaka Gateway, the trading port is part of a slew of trading agreements including a S$17.8 billion East Coast railway line during Malaysia Prime Minister Najib Razak’s 7-days-long visit to China in early November.

The new trading port will be a joint venture by state-funded companies Malaysia’s KAJ Developments and China’s PowerChina International. Construction of Melaka Gateway will involve the land reclamation of three off-shore islands off the Malaysia’s coast and is scheduled to complete by 2025. According to projections, 100,000 shipping vessels will dock at the port, without having to stop by the monopoly route held by Singapore over past few centuries.

The China investment is however met with sarcasm by Singapore media, with state propaganda media Straits Times calling it a “military strategy” to secure the South China Sea. In their article coverage, Straits Times attempted to sow discord by quoting anonymous sources claiming China is reducing reliance on the Malacca Straits with alternative piping means through Myanmar and hence suggesting that Malaysia should not think too much about the investment.

Malaysia and Philippines are concurrently warming up with China by giving in to China’s claim on the South-China Sea in exchange for economic development. During the APEC summit held in Peru, China President Xi Jin Ping declared that China will open up greater economic cooperation with the world – in stark contrast to United States.

ports-of-malaysia.jpg

Last edited:
Singapore shall ban USN from docking at Singapore Naval Bases and using as a SCS staging patrol point.

Talking about neutral but allowing USN to station their warship and carrier clearly shows Singapore foolish preference.

Singapore shall ban USN from docking at Singapore Naval Bases and using as a SCS staging patrol point.

Talking about neutral but allowing USN to station their warship and carrier clearly shows Singapore foolish preference.

Exactly. They should be held accountable for inviting the US military in the region, disturbing balance of power and putting China's sea lane security at risk.

Exactly. They should be held accountable for inviting the US military in the region, disturbing balance of power and putting China's sea lane security at risk.

WW 2 proved to be the incentive for that mentality. Singapore as a small state never imagined Imperial Japan would be invading her since it's quite far away and yet she was attacked. Feeling so extremely vulnerable, it has been eager ever since to have the US military in the region for protection. This legacy has been around after the war has ended, if China would be accepting the role as the protector or should i say the guardian of peace in the SCS region then the US Navy would be obsolete to Singapore. Singapore is not in danger of being invaded, times are different so it's really time for them to move on from that mentality or else risk being left behind as China is making investments in her neighborhood. Besides US Navy is a Pacific power, is that presence really necessary in our backyard when there's the Asian Big Boss around? China's Blue Water Navy is taking shape nicely as we speak :D

WW 2 proved to be the incentive for that mentality. Singapore as a small state never imagined Imperial Japan would be invading her since it's quite far away and yet she was attacked. Feeling so extremely vulnerable, it has been eager ever since to have the US military in the region for protection. This legacy has been around after the war has ended, if China would be accepting the role as the protector or should i say the guardian of peace in the SCS region then the US Navy would be obsolete to Singapore. Singapore is not in danger of being invaded, times are different so it's really time for them to move on from that mentality or else risk being left behind as China is making investments in her neighborhood. Besides US Navy is a Pacific power, is that presence really necessary in our backyard when there's the Asian Big Boss around? China's Blue Water Navy is taking shape nicely as we speak :D

I agree, I do not see China's diplomacy through development drive as being an aggressive tool to intimidate countries like Singapore. In fact, their post-War concerns can be understood within that particular context. But, as you say, it is time for them to move on with the times. It is not that there will be invasion in East Asia by a regional state, including Japan. So, US presence becomes obsolete from that point of view. Then, any attempt to ensure their presence in our region will be by default understood as directed at China and hence hostile.

China will proactively encounter.

This looks awesome! It will become a huge tourist attraction apart from being the largest port in SE Asia.

Does anyone know whether the name in Chinese "皇京港" exists already or has just been come up with? Thanks.
皇京港 already there, but the equipments are bad and area is much smaller

Singapore should follow PH and Malaysia and say bye-bye to US Navy base. Yes, US was needed in the last 30 years, but today things are very different. ID or MY would not attack Singapore. It would be suicidal for them to do that.

Now, I understand why SG has been making a lot of noises against China lately. This all makes sense. There were some talk of the Kra Canal but I don't think it would happen.

The combination of Kuantan and Malacca ports have the potential to make SG irrelevant. That's the harsh reality for SG.

The China investment is however met with sarcasm by Singapore media, with state propaganda media Straits Times calling it a “military strategy” to secure the South China Sea. In their article coverage, Straits Times attempted to sow discord by quoting anonymous sources claiming China is reducing reliance on the Malacca Straits with alternative piping means through Myanmar and hence suggesting that Malaysia should not think too much about the investment.

Straits Times is the mouthpiece of the SG government. It follows the SG government propaganda.

The current SG Prime Minister is outplayed. I hope he wakes up soon. SG has a very big advantage, 75% of its population are ethnic Chinese. It should play this to its advantage.

Singapore should follow PH and Malaysia and say bye-bye to US Navy base. Yes, US was needed in the last 30 years, but today things are very different. ID or MY would not attack Singapore. It would be suicidal for them to do that.

Now, I understand why SG has been making a lot of noises against China lately. This all makes sense. There were some talk of the Kra Canal but I don't think it would happen.

The combination of Kuantan and Malacca ports have the potential to make SG irrelevant. That's the harsh reality for SG.

Straits Times is the mouthpiece of the SG government. It follows the SG government propaganda.

The current SG Prime Minister is outplayed. I hope he wakes up soon. SG has a very big advantage, 75% of its population are ethnic Chinese. It should play this to its advantage.

If not for Malaysia, China would have long go for Kra Canal and finish off Singapore. You can see how China decide to opt for developing Malacca port instead.

皇京港 already there, but the equipments are bad and area is much smaller
Thanks a lot, just find the name is so classy 高端大气。:p:

Also I have read some comment saying Singapore port has not reached its full capacity and a larger port next to it will not be fully utilized. This view does not take into account that if China's economy doubles in size in the next decade, the trade will be doubled. Although some of the volume will be diverted to other ports like Gwadar, the bulk will still need to go thought Malacca and the current ports will not be able to support the new volume. Melaka gateway will be well positioned to capture the growth from a larger trading activity from/to China when completed in 2025. Another key advantage of Melaka is that it will complimented by massive industry park, which can accommodate many large scale industries.:yahoo:

Thanks a lot, just find the name is so classy 高端大气。:p:

Also I have read some comment saying Singapore port has not reached its full capacity and a larger port next to it will not be fully utilized. This view does not take into account that if China's economy doubles in size in the next decade, the trade will be doubled. Although some of the volume will be diverted to other ports like Gwadar, the bulk will still need to go thought Malacca and the current ports will not be able to support the new volume. Melaka gateway will be well positioned to capture the growth from a larger trading activity from/to China when completed in 2025. Another key advantage of Melaka is that it will complimented by massive industry park, which can accommodate many large scale industries.:yahoo:
Actually more importantly, All the major Chinese ports (yes!) and all the Malaysia ports form an ally so that ships stops shares many benefits.
As whole this is top-level strategic maneuver to undermine Singapore's arrogance and influence. All under the name of commercial interest! 釜底抽薪!

It is so disappointing that Singapore (despite largely being a part of the Sinosphere) is acting like they need the U.S in the region. The Japanese massacred hundreds of thousands of ethnic Chinese in Singapore during ww2 with a young Lee Kuan Yew barely escaping. Yet they have a hostile and condescending attitude towards the mainland Chinese from whence they are descended and have cordial relations with Japan.

@Lux de Veritas

Where are you? We need colorful people in theses forums and would like your Singaporean input here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom