What's new

$10-bn defence deal to be signed during Hollande's 2-day visit

Paan Singh

BANNED
Reaction score
During his visit, Hollande would visit New Delhi and Mumbai. He plans to call on President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi. To boost economic ties between both countries, he would also meet industry leaders.

Hollande would lead a high-powered delegation comprising senior French Cabinet ministers and business leaders from leading French companies. Among the highlights of his visit would be the signing of the $10-billion deal relating to the purchase of 126 French Rafale medium multi-role combat aircraft ( MMRCA) manufactured by Dassault Aviation.
During the visit, a much-awaited deal between France’s nuclear conglomerate Areva and Nuclear Power Corporation of India to build European pressurised reactors might also be signed. The protests against the nuclear power plant in Jaitapur, Maharashtra, notwithstanding, both sides had already finalised the deal and were expected to sign it soon, officials said.

Since the deal to build the European reactors was announced as part of an agreement between former French president Nicolas Sarkozy and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on December 2010, it has faced stiff opposition. The deal also involves the supply of nuclear fuel for 25 years.

“This will be Hollande’s first visit to any Asian country since his election…There had been good discussions on the MMRCA deal and negotiations concerning the Jaitapur nuclear plant are also going on smoothly,” a senior diplomat told Business Standard.

Hollande and Prime Minister Singh had first met on the sidelines of the G20 Summit in Los Cabos, Mexico, in June last year. As a precursor to Hollande’s visit, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid had, last month, visited France, where he met his French counterpart Laurent Fabius.

$10-bn defence deal to be signed during Hollande's 2-day visit

Is this confirmed or just journalistic speculation ?

Because if they are signing it, then it means the price negotiations have been finished and hopefully the ToT negotiations too.

good news.let those jets roll.

Seems every time foreign leaders visit India will be given a sweet contract for friendship.

India nowadays is much richer than China, I have to admitted that.

Wish China leader visit Indi more frequently in the future.

1. Yes we love purchase from OEM.

2. What's the basis of your conclusion? If you look in the last decade you will see what was Chinese purchase. India took over china in arms purchase. Plus I hope you know total amount is never paid in one go but in installments.

3. I wish that too. But contrary to your wishes your govt invest in India :D that might pay well in future
I don't see India purchasing any milletry hardware from china in my life time.

@ Topic : it seems like a jerno fantasy than official thing. But I hope they do it.

Seems every time foreign leaders visit India will be given a sweet contract for friendship.

Actually last time Hu Jintao Visited india , He too got Contracts worth Rs 30000 crore or 6 Billion USD
but they were for Telecom and Power equipment not Defense Equipment

So maybe wen Xi visits in 2014 after Indian General Elections , he too will get contracts most likely for LTE/4G Telecom equipment

Thats because we failed to buy anything in the 90s

I prefer waiting for the official announcement of the deal, don't want to break my heart :lol:

For that, China should have something substantial to offer.

Good news. But not sure if the negotiations are over. I hope they are over, and wanna see a Rafale in Indian colours. :)

This news will stop several threads to get open regarding Rafale ;)

I hope this is true but I am extremely skeptical an wouldn't e surprised if the Rafale deal isn't signed during the visit.

+also hope the Areva deal is signed during the visit.

Back
Top Bottom