What's new

$1.6bn vanishes from Social Islami Bank through rogue LCs

PA generals and politicians need Kashmir jargon to keep the population elated until army expenditures ruin the economy completely.

Perhaps, Indian top-ups also want Pakistan to waste money on military. Because this will ruin the economic strength of Pakistan.
Pakistan's problem is low tax collection resulting low public expenditure on human capital formation and low export, not defence spending. It's defence spending is 3 percent of GDP which is lower than a lot of economically successful countries such as South Korea, Singapore, Israel. These successful countries shown that high defence spending is not a problem if government's other policies remain right. Pakistan's defence spending was high during 1950s-1990s but since Nuclear tests and emerging as a Nuclear power, it gradually decreased defence spending as a percentage of overall economy and now it's defence spending is very reasonable.

Pakistan's crisis could not be tackled just by lowering defence spending, even if Pakistan's defence spending become zero without reform in other sector of economy. It is in this position because of failed and reckless development policies decades after decades. Pakistanis love showoff and superficial development rather that core human development which can not be seen through naked eyes.

10 thousands crore project finished with 40 thousands crores ...... !

However I haven't say anything about looting amount. Just said that many can be looted instead of development and without economic growth! The part was already bold in quote!

But the disturbing nature of party goons is , they always try finding holes ,rather than understanding tone of a post/statement!

After all what can they do , it's their only political ground nowadays! So I don't blame them ,not at all ! 🤣 🤣

However as far I know foreign debt is more than 95 billion USD!

And govt also loot from Budget as well , not only from borrowed money.

Did the current BAL government accumulate the 95 billion debt?

How can BAL steal billions from budget when you guy claim the budget and tax ratio is tiny?

There simply isn’t the means or opportunity to steal tens of billions. Unlike Pakistan where US gave 67 billion and almost all of it was stolen by their generals and sent to Swiss bank accounts.

There has been quite a few leaks and disclosures of stolen money in the last few years. I see Indians, Pakistanis and Africans on the list of billionaires. But no Bangladeshis.

BAL is a grassroots party unlike BNP. Their looting is mostly distributed to the grassroots. So, I doubt more than a few billion has ended up in Swiss bank accounts.

Which is why we don’t see any politically connected billionaires in BD.

Pakistan's problem is low tax collection resulting low public expenditure on human capital formation and low export, not defence spending. It's defence spending is 3 percent of GDP which is lower than a lot of economically successful countries such as South Korea, Singapore, Israel. These successful countries shown that high defence spending is not a problem if government's other policies remain right. Pakistan's defence spending was high during 1950s-1990s but since Nuclear tests and emerging as a Nuclear power, it gradually decreased defence spending as a percentage of overall economy and now it's defence spending is very reasonable.

Pakistan's crisis could not be tackled just by lowering defence spending, even if Pakistan's defence spending become zero without reform in other sector of economy. It is in this position because of failed and reckless development policies decades after decades. Pakistanis love showoff and superficial development rather that core human development which can not be seen through naked eyes.

I don’t think tax collection is the issue. BD collects even less but manages far better.

Pakistan’s military stifles non governmental sector - who drive the social development in BD. Pak military guard their dominance over civil society very aggressively.

And Pakistan’s mullahs stifle gender equality which means low female labour participation. So despite having higher minimum wage, their median household income is lower.

That’s a double whammy that cannot be fixed even with Scandinavian level of taxation!!!

Mullah and Military has always been Pakistan’s problem.

Did the current BAL government accumulate the 95 billion debt?

How can BAL steal billions from budget when you guy claim the budget and tax ratio is tiny?

There simply isn’t the means or opportunity to steal tens of billions. Unlike Pakistan where US gave 67 billion and almost all of it was stolen by their generals and sent to Swiss bank accounts.

There has been quite a few leaks and disclosures of stolen money in the last few years. I see Indians, Pakistanis and Africans on the list of billionaires. But no Bangladeshis.

BAL is a grassroots party unlike BNP. Their looting is mostly distributed to the grassroots. So, I doubt more than a few billion has ended up in Swiss bank accounts.

Which is why we don’t see any politically connected billionaires in BD.
I don't think your message is still relevant to my message!

It's actually could be an answer to @bluesky not to me. So let him answer.

I already said that there are various ways of government to loot money and exactly they are doing so.

And since they are in power for 14 years , so their looting amount should be huge!

Also we consider all bank looting during the regime, everything will be clear!

So about the loot amount , talk to them who provide the amount, not to me! Try to be relevant!

I don't think your message is still relevant to my message!

It's actually could be an answer to @bluesky not to me. So let him answer.

I already said that there are various ways of government to loot money and exactly they are doing so.

And since they are in power for 14 years , so their looting amount should be huge!

Also we consider all bank looting during the regime, everything will be clear!

So about the loot amount , talk to them who provide the amount, not to me! Try to be relevant!

Did I deny BAL is looting? They are no different to any other entities in BD. Medical profession being the gutter example.

All I am saying is that it is not in tens of billions and more than 70% is going to the grassroots. So, it is not like India or Africa or Pakistan situation - where a small minority getting all the loot.

At least BALs loot is democratic compared to BNP/JP looting 🤣🤣🤣

$1.6 billion is no bigger than a small peanut. However, BD is asking for the IMF bailout $4.5billion in three years.

I hope Hasina cronies are barred from laying hands on this small IMF money. But, what a mismanagement of economy by an unelected and half-educated fascist!!

Really, it pains my heart.

Last edited:
$1.6 billion is no bigger than a small peanut. However, BD is asking for the IMF bailout $4.5billion in three years.

I hope Hasina cronies are barred from laying hands on this small money. But, what a mismanagement of economy by an unelected and half-educated fascist!!

Really, it pains my heart.

I think BAL has probably stolen around 5 billion directly. And another 5 billion in dodgy loans - only about 50% of that is probably secured loan.

It’s their fee for managing an unruly population - easily manipulated and triggered by Hinduvta and Wahhabis.

Mujib, Zia (both Mr and his Whore) and Ershad completely failed to tame the country.

Hasina has managed to pull the country in a higher trajectory - where Kissinger to BBC had written the country off as a basket case.

Churchill is regarded as Britain’s greatest prime minister despite his grotesque acts - because he pulled the country together during WWII.

Hasina will be regarded as Bangladesh’s greatest PM despite her thievery. She has personally taken about 500 million 🤣🤣

All great political leaders are tainted.

Hasina is no different.

We Sylhetis love our saints but we never worship them 🤣🤣🤣

Daily Star grew a pair ?

You are an Indian poster who used to go by the name of Padamchen and are pretending to be a Bangladeshi Sylheti in 2 different accounts(PadmaBridge) one after another.

What is wrong with you lot??!!

Anybody you don’t like gets tagged as an Indian.

You paks did it to Mujib as well!!

Look how that ended!!!

@UKBengali
@EasyNow

What is wrong with you Padamchen, larping as something else on multiple accounts and flame baiting ethno centric bs? Atleast change your writing style next time.

He's not padamchem, I'm sure he is a Sylheti and he has a very British style of writing.

Padamchem was a blowhard desperate to prove his intellect. But so many Indians fit that description 😂

Last edited:
Yet another loan scam, yet another central bank failure
Published: 00:00, Dec 01,2022

YET another loan scam, dealing a severe blow to the banking sector, has hit the economy. The Chattogram-based S Alam Group has taken out about Tk 300 billion in loans form Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd, the largest commercial bank in the private sector, that the group controls. The amount taken out in loans is way beyond what the group is entitled to, which is Tk 2.15 billion, keeping to the bank’s rules, as a Bangladesh Bank audit report says, noting that the loan transaction has been done employing various unethical means. Some officials of both the central bank and Islami Bank suspect that the group along with some associates may have so far appropriated about Tk 1,000 billion from about a horde of banks, but mostly from Islami Bank, that the group controls. A recent loan scam of about Tk 68.35 billion, which took place in Islami Bank in April–November, was reported early this week. The bank is feared to have extended the loans on political consideration. A series of loan scams have taken place after the Awami League government assumed office in 2009. And, in almost all the cases, it is the central bank which is to blame, either for overlooking the problems or for not taking stringent action in time.

The Crescent Group swindled Tk 35.72 billion, which came to light around 2015, and AnonTex embezzled Tk 55.08 billion in the 2019 financial year from Janata Bank. The Bismillah Group swindled about Tk 11 billion from Janata Bank in 2012, the Hallmark Group misappropriated about Tk 35 billion from Sonali Bank in 2013 and BASIC Bank lost more than Tk 60 billion by way of fictitious loans extended by the bank’s board. Experts say that the central bank has not taken any action against such unprecedented borrowings through various irregularities and it has, rather, facilitated such unlawful lending. A senior central bank official says that the Bangladesh Bank has not allowed its officials to conduct inspections of the banks and has not approved the inspection reports or has never taken action based on the reports. Such indolence, said to be deliberate, has only put the whole of the banking sector in jeopardy. Central bank officials suspect that the group has not used major portion of the loans in the entities for which the loans have been taken out as the group can in no way invest such a huge amount of money in such small-sized companies. The minister for finance, at an event meanwhile on November 29, has asked for specific evidence of loan scams when reporters sought his comments. The minister conveniently forgets that it is his duty to investigate any such allegations whenever they come up.

While, in such a situation, the government must lay its hands off the process of loan disbursement, it must find out the quarters, within the central bank and outside, responsible for the scam at hand and others that took place earlier and take stringent action against them. The government must also make the central bank behave and allow it to run its course in plugging the loopholes in the banking sector.

He's not padamchem, I'm sure he is a Sylheti and he has a very British style of writing.

Padamchem was a blowhard desperate to prove his intellect. But so many Indians fit that description 😂

This forum has become very Orwellian - 1984 🤣

Everyone is an Winston Smith!​

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom