What's new

Z-10 & Z-19 Combat Helicopter News & Discussion

Ordered WZ-10 helicopters shall be equipped With WZ-16 engines or WZ-9 engines?

They will initially be equipped with the WZ-9. It is certainly possible that the WZ-16 (or even the more powerful WZ-10) will be added in the future.

I have to admit, the naming is awful. WZ-9, WZ-10, WZ-16, WZ-19.... They are not in the same category of things. :)
WZ10 helicopter named thunderbolt. WZ16 in Chinese abbreviation of Wo Zhou 16 means the 'type 16 'of Turboshaft engine.

I've got to make it clear or you guys get confused.

Wo Zhou in Chinese means Turboshaft engine.

Wu Zhi in Chinese means armed helicopter, the abbreviation is the same with Turboshaft engine.

and exactly that's the reason, why the Z-10 and Z-19 is NOT called WZ-10 or WZ-19 but simply Z-10 and Z-19. Just look what's written on the Z-10 prototype's tail.

and exactly that's the reason, why the Z-10 and Z-19 is NOT called WZ-10 or WZ-19 but simply Z-10 and Z-19. Just look what's written on the Z-10 prototype's tail.
So if we order Z-10 now they won't be equipped with WZ16 engine

PS: here an image of an early prototype and I'm sure if the PLA would call it WZ-10 it surely had written that on the tail instead of Z-10 !

Z-10 prototype.jpg

Sorry, You surely meant:

The new Z-10 which are in production do they have WZ16 engine or they are still being produced with older engine ?

As far as I know surely not yet ... the WZ-16 is a joint Sino-European program based on the Ardidden engine and was just readied for the Airbus H175 / AVIC/HAIC AC352 maybe later Z-15 ... as such I can't think that they already use this on a military type.

Just an interesting information in regard to the alleged WZ-16 use by the Z-10 or any other new Chinese helicopter.

According to the ShephardMedia (from 11/02), the new AVIC AC.352 has just begun testing the Ardiden-3C since September 2015 and here problems appeared !

Singapore Airshow: Asia revs up helo engine buys - News - Shephard

So again ... how could an operational type (= Z-10) already use an engine that is just under test for the first time in a civil helicopter and even more in the French original version of the said engine ?

Deino

Just an interesting information in regard to the alleged WZ-16 use by the Z-10 or any other new Chinese helicopter.

According to the ShephardMedia (from 11/02), the new AVIC AC.352 has just begun testing the Ardiden-3C since September 2015 and here problems appeared !

So again ... how could an operational type (= Z-10) already use an engine that is just under test for the first time in a civil helicopter and even more in the French original version of the said engine ?

Deino
I guess the militery usually is more willing to take risks than the civilian.

That might be indeed ... but how could be a licence-manufactured engine be ready if the original one hast just begun testing ?

This would be as if the WS-10 was ready before the CFM56 was certified !

Deino

It can be different project, as I say. Civilian version is more stringent in specification like fuel consumption, noise level and lifespan. In fact, civilian engine meeting international standard is more difficult to develop compare to military.

Turbomeca never say WZ-16 turboshaft is for Chinese military. And they are not allowed to do that.

Back
Top Bottom