What's new

Worst-ever peacetime loss for Navy, frigate sinks after collision off Mumbai...

Its too early to tell whose fault it was. But whatever it is, whoever is at fault, I think it is a sad situation, and clearly it could have been avoided if they had been more cautious.

The ships should have seen each other from a long distance and should have slowed down at least. A clear case of negligence from the merchant vessel as well as the navy.

Even if the frigate was due for retirement, it is not excuse. It could have happened with the Shivalik class too. We must admit where we are at fault and correct it ASAP.

For those in doubt, the missiles had been removed from the ship, but some of the mounted guns couldn't be removed before it sank.

If its any solace.. I heard the leander class were being relegated as training ships..
Still.. a loss is a loss.

The Leanders were in the semi-operational list, pending decommissioning. The only Leander in a full-fledged training role is the INS Krishna, which is also lined up for replacement with a purpose-built training ship like INS Tir.

Santro ,
My reply was only to the cheap shot of ur buddy

As far as Vindhyagiri is concerned , well The ship was suposed to be retired in September 2011 , and to be sunk as target during Indo US Naval excersise in 2013
Well now it seems that INS Taragiri , the last remaining frigate of this class which was meant to retire in May 2011 , will have to carry on till end of 2011

This accident will not have any effect on Operational capability of the Navy since we have 5 Frigates Due for induction in 2011-12 , with INS Satpura due in March followed by INS Sahyadri in May and INS Teg due in October

Its too early to tell whose fault it was. But whatever it is, whoever is at fault, I think it is a sad situation, and clearly it could have been avoided if they had been more cautious.

The ships should have seen each other from a long distance and should have slowed down at least. A clear case of negligence from the merchant vessel as well as the navy.

Even if the frigate was due for retirement, it is not excuse. It could have happened with the Shivalik class too. We must admit where we are at fault and correct it ASAP.

For those in doubt, the missiles had been removed from the ship, but some of the mounted guns couldn't be removed before it sank.

This accident is one that could happen to any ship; not just a warship, in the sense that the Bombay Harbour channel is a rather confined stretch of water. This channel is a common approach for two major ports, and a major naval dockyard. Then add a multitude of barges, launches, tugs, oil-field support vessels, country-craft and fishing boats. The approach area at many times is like the area around a disturbed bee-hive.

Its time for the Navy to shift most of their activity to Karwar. That will be their own preserve.

Sab ne Govt vehicle or property ko apne baap ki jageer samajh rakha hai.

Since you are so clearly ignorant of the systems and traditions of the armed forces, specifically the IN; you had to spout something silly.

Kuch log internet ko apna baap ki jageer samajh rakha hai, isi liye to ulta-pulta bakte hain.

Bull$hit you have no idea how the incident transpired but are still spreading your agenda driven crap.

There were three ships involved ..Two merchant vessels and one naval warship.

INS Vindhyagiri and the other merchant vessel(forgetting its name) were moving into the harbor on nearly parallel headings whereas MV Nordlake was coming out of the harbor ..so as MV Nordlake and INS Vindhyagiri were on opposite courses giving rise to text book "HeadOn situation"

IMO collision regulation on head on situation states that

"When two ships meet head-on or nearly so , each ship must change course to starboard(go right) and pass port-to-port.(pass on each others left side.)"

Now MV Nordlake on sighting INS Vindhayagiri on head on course, decided to alter to port(left) in violation of the rule.

On altering its course to Port, Motor Vessel Nordlake found itself in close quarter situation (very close to collision) with the other merchant vessel and immediately(in panic) gave hard alteration to starboard..without realizing that INS Vindhayagiri was on her staboard bow and collided with it.

You seem to have to got it somewhat correct; as per ROR.

Since you are so clearly ignorant of the systems and traditions of the armed forces, specifically the IN; you had to spout something silly.

Kuch log internet ko apna baap ki jageer samajh rakha hai, isi liye to ulta-pulta bakte hain.
Great tradition IN has to lay its 400 crore ship to watery grave.

The ship cost around 70 Cr when it was inducted in 1981 , not 400 Cr

Secondly , the ship could have been salvaged , but it would have cost around 5 Million USD which the Indian Navy was against coz the ship itself was meant to be retired in september 2011 , and any repair job would have taken 6-8 Months , so navy decided against a salvage operation , They thought that it would be much better and economical to keep the last remaining Leander class frigate INS Taragiri operational for one more yr rather than retiring it in may 2011 which was the original plan than to keep Vindhyagiri afloat

Its not really going to affect Indian navy operations as Such coz we will be inducting 3 frigates and 1 Destroyer in 2011
with INS Satpura due in March followed by INS Sahyadri in May and INS Teg due in October, While INS Kolkata is due in November

Whats ur take? whose fault is it?

Well according to the International maritime rules the ships must have steered starboard and passed port side but the container steered portside...so the Naval frigate had lesser time to react and the ship did not turn in the stipulated time...I think you can look it up on the internet.

WAOOOO!!!!you and your calculation is worth 400crores,when it was inducted it cost 80crores so where did you get this info ,i wanna know tonight :thinktank:

WAOOOO!!!!you and your calculation is worth 400crores,when it was inducted it cost 80crores so where did you get this info ,i wanna know tonight :thinktank:

Dude , if we take cost inflation index on account then
Rs 100 in 1980 = Rs 600 in 2010

My guess is that when this ship was new it would have cost 80 cr in 1981 , Should a similar ship be purchased today , with same specs , it would cost Rs 480 cr

Now lets take into account depreciation , for this purpose i am going to take the life of the ship as 30 yrs while scrap value at Rs 10 cr

Now lets calculate depreciated value of the ship

480 CR - 480X29.5/30 + 10 CR

= Rs 18 CR

Hence today the book value of ship is Rs 18 cr

While it could cost as much as 20 cr to salvage the ship

Back
Top Bottom