What's new

The US Navy wants to sell off its troubled littoral combat ships to allies after just a few years in service

Looks like the yard that makes one of the variants of the LCS shutdown due to ransomware and out a delay in the constellation class production.

It's the problem of the most US military products!

imagine sending your air defenses to Saudi Arabia, just to loose all remaining credibility!

or developing new most expensive fighter jets to replace the older ones, yet ending up keeping both cause you are not sure about the result!

In the end, they may give them to their sheriff or local fisher men for free!!!
How's your stealth fighter coming along?

Their role is best suited for ASW in areas Russia or China operates (under the protection of other ships) or as large patrol ships around South America to catch smugglers. Outside of that they are poorly suited, and I have said as much to the crew when I visited one ship during a fleet week a few years ago (“isn’t this a lightly armed aluminum tin can, how can this really be used in a real fight”). They basically shrugged because the decision was above their pay grade.

Better late than never, now the USN will be getting real frigates; the constellation class. So these past mistakes are being rectified.
Well, it said it all in the title "Littoral Combat Ship"

They are for Coastal Defence, not for ocean going, hence the term "Littoral". And it is US Coast Guard job, not the US Navy that organise Coastal Defence. As I said in the USS Constellation Thread, I think they will give these LCS to the Coast Guard when the Constellation is completed. And before that, we will see a combo of Constellation and LCS working side by side.

Also it's worth notice that the US Navy already sold Freedom Class to Saudi, but instead as a Littoral Combat Ship, they were geared like a Frigate with 8 Cell MK-41 (which Freedom Class themselves can carry), and they are lengthen and possibly works as a 4500 tons frigate instead of a LCS configuration.

Well, it said it all in the title "Littoral Combat Ship"

They are for Coastal Defence, not for ocean going, hence the term "Littoral". And it is US Coast Guard job, not the US Navy that organise Coastal Defence. As I said in the USS Constellation Thread, I think they will give these LCS to the Coast Guard when the Constellation is completed. And before that, we will see a combo of Constellation and LCS working side by side.

Also it's worth notice that the US Navy already sold Freedom Class to Saudi, but instead as a Littoral Combat Ship, they were geared like a Frigate with 8 Cell MK-41 (which Freedom Class themselves can carry), and they are lengthen and possibly works as a 4500 tons frigate instead of a LCS configuration.
They should have never been given to the navy then. They wasted the navy’s time and finances.

If they gave it to the Coast Guard right off the bat, they could have been better utilized, especially for recruiting, akin to Australia and for example their Sea Patrol TV Show.

So people from countries that never really contributed to military science criticizing US. :rolleyes:
I've never played soccer beyond bush league, but that doesn't mean I don't know the Americunt team ain't as good as Argentina.

Similarly, I don't need a PhD in military science to know your LCS aren't up to the job of fighting a peer adversary.

I've never played soccer beyond bush league, but that doesn't mean I don't know the Americunt team ain't as good as Argentina.

Similarly, I don't need a PhD in military science to know your LCS aren't up to the job of fighting a peer adversary.
Yeah...Just like how the PDF Chinese kept mocking the F-35 all these yrs when none of you ever served or have Ph.D in aviation. Now your own PLA has to openly admit the F-35 is China's greatest threat.

A comparison of US jets by Chinese military scientists has shown the F-35 to be a greater threat in the South China Sea and Taiwan Strait than the older F-22, which is still generally regarded as the world’s most powerful stealth aircraft.​
The team – led by Bao Junchen from the National University of Defence Technology in Hefei, Anhui province in eastern China, and the PLA’s Unit 31649 based in the southern province of Guangdong – recommended a two-prong approach to counter the threat.​

Do go on making fools out of yourselves confident in your non-experience and ignorance. I wonder if you even know how to swim. :enjoy:

Yeah...Just like how the PDF Chinese kept mocking the F-35 all these yrs when none of you ever served or have Ph.D in aviation. Now your own PLA has to openly admit the F-35 is China's greatest threat.

A comparison of US jets by Chinese military scientists has shown the F-35 to be a greater threat in the South China Sea and Taiwan Strait than the older F-22, which is still generally regarded as the world’s most powerful stealth aircraft.​
The team – led by Bao Junchen from the National University of Defence Technology in Hefei, Anhui province in eastern China, and the PLA’s Unit 31649 based in the southern province of Guangdong – recommended a two-prong approach to counter the threat.​

Do go on making fools out of yourselves confident in your non-experience and ignorance. I wonder if you even know how to swim. :enjoy:
Lol, people dont need PHD in military tech to know LCS are failed ships, just try to make excuses to cover your failures.

I love how you don't even pretend to defend these Little Crappy Ships and go straight for a strawman.

Thanks for the concession.

They should have never been given to the navy then. They wasted the navy’s time and finances.

If they gave it to the Coast Guard right off the bat, they could have been better utilized, especially for recruiting, akin to Australia and for example their Sea Patrol TV Show.

Those ship are too big for Coast Guard general service, at 4000 to 4500 tons, they are the size of a heavy cutter, Which USCGS only have 12, as I said, they may be replacing the Legend Class come 2030-2035 when those legend class are on retiring age, but most likely not before, and outside US, most of the Navies in the world don't operate Patrol Frigate style Cutter for coastal defence.

Royal Australian Navy would have no place to put these LCS if they decided to acquire them, because RAN currently operate 2 class of ships. Heavy Sea Going ship (Hobart Class and Hunter Class that are going to replace the ANZAC Class) and light weight PB (Armidale class) Which is either 9000+ tons or sub 1000 tons. Before Hunter Class comes into the equation, these LCS may be fit to replace the ANZAC class but RAN had instead increasing the tonnage and start developing RAN instead of replacing the ANZAC class frigate with the same class of ship.

The problem is, LCS is designed to have a large fleet backing in mind. That's why they don't even consider Mk57 let alone Mk 41 VLS on them, which mean they are severely outgun unless you have a few destoryer to back that up, and no country in the world would have that capability to operate them safely. Except Navy Powerhouse like China or India, which probably would just laugh at that idea. So it is always going to go back to US Service, and the logical one is USCGS and using them to either replace the Legend Class or operate with Legend Class.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say LCS is a completely failure, in fact, because of the LCS, the US is actively improving the littoral capability and an array of support ship are build based or have tech transfer from the Independence Class LCS,

Ships like Spearhead Class EPF

USNS_Burlington_(T-EPF_10).jpg

Or Sea Slice HSV

USN_experimental_Small_water_area_vessel.jpg

Or Sea Shadow

1280px-US_Navy_Sea_Shadow_stealth_craft.jpg

And Sea Fighter Class FSF

US_Navy_050801-N-7676W-080_The_Littoral_Surface_Craft-Experimental_LSC(X),_developed_by_the_Of...jpg

All are very heavily influenced by the Independence Class. In which US Navy have Spearhead Class and Sea Fighter Class currently in service, but these ship are more geared toward Littoral Support, which is what the Navy should have been looking at instead of as a stand alone fighting ship.

Those ship are too big for Coast Guard general service, at 4000 to 4500 tons, they are the size of a heavy cutter, Which USCGS only have 12, as I said, they may be replacing the Legend Class come 2030-2035 when those legend class are on retiring age, but most likely not before, and outside US, most of the Navies in the world don't operate Patrol Frigate style Cutter for coastal defence.

Royal Australian Navy would have no place to put these LCS if they decided to acquire them, because RAN currently operate 2 class of ships. Heavy Sea Going ship (Hobart Class and Hunter Class that are going to replace the ANZAC Class) and light weight PB (Armidale class) Which is either 9000+ tons or sub 1000 tons. Before Hunter Class comes into the equation, these LCS may be fit to replace the ANZAC class but RAN had instead increasing the tonnage and start developing RAN instead of replacing the ANZAC class frigate with the same class of ship.

The problem is, LCS is designed to have a large fleet backing in mind. That's why they don't even consider Mk57 let alone Mk 41 VLS on them, which mean they are severely outgun unless you have a few destoryer to back that up, and no country in the world would have that capability to operate them safely. Except Navy Powerhouse like China or India, which probably would just laugh at that idea. So it is always going to go back to US Service, and the logical one is USCGS and using them to either replace the Legend Class or operate with Legend Class.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say LCS is a completely failure, in fact, because of the LCS, the US is actively improving the littoral capability and an array of support ship are build based or have tech transfer from the Independence Class LCS,

Ships like Spearhead Class EPF

View attachment 926644

Or Sea Slice HSV

View attachment 926645

Or Sea Shadow

View attachment 926648

And Sea Fighter Class FSF

View attachment 926646

All are very heavily influenced by the Independence Class. In which US Navy have Spearhead Class and Sea Fighter Class currently in service, but these ship are more geared toward Littoral Support, which is what the Navy should have been looking at instead of as a stand alone fighting ship.

They could be ideal for the Philippines, and reactivating the maintenance yards at Subic Bay could also subsidize a yard the USN could need in a Taiwan contingency.

The LCS is probably also a better platform to employ USVs, deploying hydrophone networks due to its modularity.

The US already plans to come back to operating more out of the Philippines, this could be the best way to boost their capabilities and have a destroyer squadron/Surface Action group operate out of Subic bay to back them up as they exert themselves in their territorial water/Littorals.

Last edited:
I love how you don't even pretend to defend these Little Crappy Ships and go straight for a strawman.

Thanks for the concession.
It was not a strawman. It was an example of how often you guys were proven ignorant and eventually wrong. The US military have a history of turning what started as initial 'failure' to be a useful asset. My first assignment the F-111 is one example. So be careful, if you are still around a few yrs from now, you might be eating your words about the LCS program.

Lol, people dont need PHD in military tech to know LCS are failed ships, just try to make excuses to cover your failures.
Really...??? Did YOU make such 'analysis' by yourself BEFORE the concept was executed? Or did you WAITED until the USN deployed the ships, found some issues, others smarter than you and have real Ph.D opined, then you rode the coattails of their opinions to make yourself look smart? Do you even know how to swim? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom